How to Unlock Missed Steam Achievements

Odin

Staff member
Every so often, someone reports that they earn an achievement in-game, but it didn't unlock on Steam. This guide covers how to unlock a Steam achievement after that point.

Method 1: Save File Editing
This method will attempt to trigger a Steam achievement by deleting your in-game achievements, so that the game checks for them and adds them back. You won't lose any game progress by attempting this.
  1. Make a backup of your save. See https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves to locate your save files, you should see folders with your farm's name (or farmer's name for saves started before 1.5) and a string of numbers after it. Copy the folders and put them somewhere safe in case something goes wrong.
  2. Open the save folder (not backup copy you created), then open the save file itself in a text editor (such as Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac). The save file you want to open will have the same name as the folder, your farm or farmer's name and a string of numbers after it.
  3. Press Ctrl + f on Windows or Command + f on Mac. Type <achievements>, then remove everything in the file between <achievements> and </achievements>. Save and then close the file.
  4. Start your game through Steam. The game should check again for your achievements and the Steam achievements should unlock now. Some people have reported they needed to get the achievement again. For example you may have to craft an item (can be anything) for the 'Artisan' achievement to register.
Method 2: Unlocking via SMAPI
This method will force the achievement to unlock, regardless of whether you have met the conditions to earn it in-game. This method also requires SMAPI to be installed.
  1. Install SMAPI. (Click here for instructions). If you're on Windows, ensure you follow the steps during installation to enable launching SMAPI through Steam.
  2. Launch Stardew Valley through Steam. If SMAPI has been correctly installed, you should see a console/command line window appear during launch.
  3. Minimize the game, but don't exit or close it completely. In the SMAPI command window, type debug achieve, followed by the code from the table below that matches the achievement you need to unlock. For example, debug achieve 0 would unlock Greenhorn, while debug achieve Achievement_TheBottom would unlock The Bottom.
CodeAchievement NameAchievement Description
0GreenhornEarn 15,000g
1CowpokeEarn 50,000g
2HomesteaderEarn 250,000g
3MillionaireEarn 1,000,000g
4LegendEarn 10,000,000g
5A Complete CollectionComplete the museum collection.
6A New FriendReach a 5-heart friend level with someone.
7Best FriendsReach a 10-heart friend level with someone.
9The Beloved FarmerReach a 10-heart friend level with 8 people.
11CliquesReach a 5-heart friend level with 4 people.
12NetworkingReach a 5-heart friend level with 10 people.
13PopularReach a 5-heart friend level with 20 people.
15CookCook 10 different recipes.
16Sous ChefCook 25 different recipes.
17Gourmet ChefCook every recipe.
18Moving UpUpgrade your house.
19Living LargeUpgrade your house to the maximum size.
20D.I.Y.Craft 15 different items.
21ArtisanCraft 30 different items.
22Craft MasterCraft every item.
24FishermanCatch 10 different fish.
25Ol' MarinerCatch 24 different fish.
26Master AnglerCatch every fish.
27Mother CatchCatch 100 fish.
28Treasure TroveDonate 40 different items to the museum.
29GoferComplete 10 'Help Wanted' requests.
30A Big HelpComplete 40 'Help Wanted' requests.
31PolycultureShip 15 of each crop.
32MonocultureShip 300 of one crop.
34Full ShipmentShip every item.
Achievement_PrairieKingPrairie KingBeat 'Journey Of The Prairie King'.
Achievement_TheBottomThe BottomReach the lowest level of the mines.
Achievement_LocalLegendLocal LegendRestore the Pelican Town Community Center.
Achievement_JojaJoja Co. Member Of The YearBecome a Joja Co. member and purchase all the community development perks.
Achievement_StardropMystery Of The StardropsFind every stardrop.
Achievement_FullHouseFull HouseGet married and have two kids.
Achievement_SingularTalentSingular TalentReach level 10 in a skill.
Achievement_MasterOfTheFiveWaysMaster Of The Five WaysReach level 10 in every skill.
Achievement_KeeperOfTheMysticRingsProtector Of The ValleyComplete all of the Adventure Guild Monster Slayer goals.
Achievement_FectorsChallengeFector's ChallengeBeat 'Journey Of The Prairie King' without dying.

If you have questions about either method, feel free to ask below! Thank you to @Magically Clueless for contributing to this guide, with additional help from @mouse and the official wiki.

Updated 25 September 2021.

Last edited:

cybersiren

Newcomer
Hey, so I used the SMAPI method to unlock the achievements that steam didn't automatically give me and it did work, but I also accidentally gave myself an achievment that I haven't earned yet. It's the achievement about reaching a 10 heart level friendship with 8 people, which I haven't done, but now when I load the game it seems to have automatically given me 10 hearts with certain people. I want to be able to reach that point myself rather than have it automatically given to me, so is there any way to undo this?

Odin

Staff member
Hey, so I used the SMAPI method to unlock the achievements that steam didn't automatically give me and it did work, but I also accidentally gave myself an achievment that I haven't earned yet. It's the achievement about reaching a 10 heart level friendship with 8 people, which I haven't done, but now when I load the game it seems to have automatically given me 10 hearts with certain people. I want to be able to reach that point myself rather than have it automatically given to me, so is there any way to undo this?
Unfortunately there's no way to undo a Steam achievement. In the save itself though, you should be able to roll back a day if you haven't continued playing: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Undo_the_last_save.

Nikkisoul

Newcomer
Hey! im ushing method 2 checking for some achievements, but i cant find those on the wiki list, did you know something about?
I check for hours but cant find the number of this achievements
1632519479043.png

Nikkisoul

Newcomer
I hadn't realized that wiki table didn't have all the Steam achievements, so I've updated the guide with a table including all the achievements. I hope that helps!
Nah man you are literally a king, what a god.
Thanks for your work again!

Arixx

Greenhorn
Every so often, someone reports that they earn an achievement in-game, but it didn't unlock on Steam. This guide covers how to unlock a Steam achievement after that point.

This method will attempt to trigger a Steam achievement by deleting your in-game achievements, so that the game checks for them and adds them back. You won't lose any game progress by attempting this.
  1. Make a backup of your save. See https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves to locate your save files, you should see folders with your farm's name (or farmer's name for saves started before 1.5) and a string of numbers after it. Copy the folders and put them somewhere safe in case something goes wrong.
  2. Open the save folder (not backup copy you created), then open the save file itself in a text editor (such as Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac). The save file you want to open will have the same name as the folder, your farm or farmer's name and a string of numbers after it.
  3. Press Ctrl + f on Windows or Command + f on Mac. Type <achievement>, then remove everything in the file between <achievement> and </achievement>. Save and then close the file.
  4. Start your game through Steam. The game should check again for your achievements and the Steam achievements should unlock now. Some people have reported they needed to get the achievement again. For example you may have to craft an item (can be anything) for the 'Artisan' achievement to register.
This method will force the achievement to unlock, regardless of whether you have met the conditions to earn it in-game. This method also requires SMAPI to be installed.
  1. Install SMAPI. (Click here for instructions). If you're on Windows, ensure you follow the steps during installation to enable launching SMAPI through Steam.
  2. Launch Stardew Valley through Steam. If SMAPI has been correctly installed, you should see a console/command line window appear during launch.
  3. Minimize the game, but don't exit or close it completely. In the SMAPI command window, type debug achieve, followed by the code from the table below that matches the achievement you need to unlock. For example, debug achieve 0 would unlock Greenhorn, while debug achieve Achievement_TheBottom would unlock The Bottom.
0GreenhornEarn 15,000g
1CowpokeEarn 50,000g
4LegendEarn 10,000,000g
Achievement_JojaJoja Co. Member Of The YearBecome a Joja Co. member and purchase all the community development perks.
Achievement_MasterOfTheFiveWaysMaster Of The Five WaysReach level 10 in every skill.
Achievement_KeeperOfTheMysticRingsProtector Of The ValleyComplete all of the Adventure Guild Monster Slayer goals.
Achievement_FectorsChallengeFector's ChallengeBeat 'Journey Of The Prairie King' without dying.

If you have questions about either method, feel free to ask below! Thank you to @Magically Clueless for contributing to this guide, with additional help from @mouse and the official wiki.

thank you so much!! i was getting frustrated when the achievements i knew i had weren't loading into steam but this worked perfectly! :))

llezzirk09

Greenhorn
hi i tried the second option in steam it says no output :(

I ALSO tried the first option but nothing happens, i deleted the things in between <achievement></achievement> but also when i searched again,there is like another 2 of them x_x i spent hours already figuring things out

llezzirk09

Greenhorn
Unfortunately I'm not super familiar with SMAPI errors, but if you create a post in Mod Support, someone there may be able to resolve that issue!
i got it to work, i just put back my back up file cause i think i messed up on the xml and did the command thing . Just worried about this museum piece i already donated but not showing i did . LOL.
BUT thank you this helped a lot! Godbless!!!

Odin

Staff member
i just have one question, if i dont have the achievement if use the command will it still automatically give me the achievement? :o and is that ''bannable''
It will, so it's really just on the honor system. You won't get in trouble with Steam or anything, but you'll know that you didn't really earn that one.

Viljuo

Greenhorn

3. Press Ctrl + f on Windows or Command + f on Mac. Type <achievement>, then remove everything in the file between <achievement> and </achievement>. Save and then close the file.
0GreenhornEarn 15,000g
1CowpokeEarn 50,000g
4LegendEarn 10,000,000g

Hello i am currently doing this and i have 4 save files am i supposed to edit all of them or just one?