How to make money early

[QUOTE="Tom, post: 60839, member: 186

Digging: I don't think you meant to dig indiscriminately, did you? Aren't those universally indicated by "artifact spot" wigglers?
On a low income winter day, you never dug the whole beach along with Robin's and Pam's entire yard? $$$$ plus you can pop the roots in the seedmaker for winter wild seeds. If you're a botanist wild seed crops are iridium!
[/QUOTE]
That's a nice quote, @PoppyForPenny. All jokes aside though, I've actually never done that. Maybe I should try it!

On a low income winter day, you never dug the whole beach along with Robin's and Pam's entire yard? $$$$ plus you can pop the roots in the seedmaker for winter wild seeds. If you're a botanist wild seed crops are iridium!
That's a nice quote, @PoppyForPenny. All jokes aside though, I've actually never done that. Maybe I should try it!
[/QUOTE]
Wait, mine broke too? I think that I'm confused 🤔

LRangerR

Local Legend
I make money in weird ways. I can confirm that opening the tidepool early should be an priority for anyone.

I'm kinda curious how a farm that existed solely around tapping trees would do. Tree saps sell from anywhere between 100-200 a piece i believe, so operating a tree farm is entirely viable. That and you'll never need for wood. And as an additional sidenote, while maple seeds and pinecones sell for a measly 5g, the acorns sell for 20g, and the mahogany seeds sell for 100g. This stuff adds up quick if your current game focuses around trees, but for most people it'd just be minor additional income.

Tom

Farmer
I make money in weird ways. I can confirm that opening the tidepool early should be an priority for anyone.
I've prioritized repairing that bridge on Spring 2 (even buying Salads on Spring 1 so I can chop more trees), and I think it's a viable general strategy. I go for 400 Wood for a farm chest, a beach chest, and the bridge repair. And since I am fishing at the Beach for the next while, the tidal pools are worthwhile money and foraging experience (for early tappers anticipating Pale Ale).

Lew Zealand

Helper
Yesterday I finally started my first new farm for a general playthrough in over a year and I'm just playing to generally optimize but not go overboard. Because min/max takes more thinking than I find to be relaxing while playing a game. I agree about getting 300+ Wood for the Beach Bridge that first week as that extra Beach forage really helps the early money come in. Hmmm, maybe I'll go the Tapper route as well, thanks for the ideas!

hexnessie

Farmer
$$$$ plus you can pop the roots in the seedmaker for winter wild seeds. If you're a botanist wild seed crops are iridium!
Also, a shoutout to new players, you can do the same with brown mushroom / spice berry from your farm cave (depending on which option you chose). Brown mushrooms make fall seeds, and spice berries make summer seeds.

Once you get the botanist profession, you can turn your normal quality mushrooms into $$$ opportunities.

The spring seeds are cursed and no viable option of farming them in mass exists ;____;

Most early-game cash the fastest, with the least investment, and disregarding every other consideration?

Fishing. Hands down. You can make over a hundred thousand in your first spring by fishing. I wouldn't suggest it, because the only thing you'll be doing is fishing, and while it is an enormous early-game cash cow, farming will later on surpass it if you have the farming levels invested. But if that is your only consideration, then head to the mountain lake and be a Pro Bass Fisher.

Most profit per transaction in Summer? Hops, hands down. More profitable than melons, more profitable even than Starfruit. Pale Ale is (these days) the single most profitable thing you can do in Summer.

In fall, it's either pumpkins or cranberries. Pumpkins are less hassle, but there is something to be said in drowning the world in cranberry sauce.

Fun fact: Did you know that Ancient Fruit is not the most profitable crop to have in your greenhouse? That award goes to Peach and Pomegranate trees, and it isn't even close. The second most profitable? Hops. It requires daily tending, of course, so there's a time investment to be made, but it easily falls in number two slot. Number three is Ancient Fruit, with a caveat that there is a specific late-game strategy using materials only obtainable during Qi Quests that might theoretically push Starfruit past, but given the enormous pain, I'm electing to ignore it.

So once you get the greenhouse unlocked, you will have a choice: Do you wish to go for the 'easy' strategy of just planting an entire plot of Ancient Fruit, and have a one day workweek, or go for the more profitable method of planing 30 peach/pomegranate trees, then 74 hops, then another 30 ancient fruit as infill around the more profitable crops that you can't walk through?

Also, that note on the wiki about preserves jars is extremely misleading. Technically, it is factually correct, you get more g per day with preserves jars, barring the two outliers. However, because this higher gain is amortized over a shorter period of growth, you realize lower profits in total at the end of the quarter in many cases. There are some cases, mostly vegetables, where turning them into preserves is the more profitable option. There are others, generally low-cost produce, that there is very little if any difference, in which case the faster iteration of the preserves jars means lower infrastructure investment for the same yield. However, if you truly wish to maximize your quarterly profits, kegs are the undisputed king when paired with high value fruits like Starfruit, Ancient Fruit, Hops, and yes, peaches and pomegranates.

The choice, as always, is yours.

Wouldn't banana be more profitable than peach/pomegranate?
Banana also requires island access, which is post CC completion. It's not worth waiting to unlock them just to plant the trees, and you can just plant them on the island farm if you really feel the need. When you complete the greenhouse bundle in mid-fall (or if you buy it from Joja in Summer) of the first year, you won't have access yet, and you already need to wait a full season for the trees to grow before you can plant anything around them or they won't mature. Delaying only loses a million and a half per season, it's gonna take a LONG time for the marginal profit margin increase of bananas to match that.

Also, a shoutout to new players, you can do the same with brown mushroom / spice berry from your farm cave (depending on which option you chose). Brown mushrooms make fall seeds, and spice berries make summer seeds.

Once you get the botanist profession, you can turn your normal quality mushrooms into $$$ opportunities.

The spring seeds are cursed and no viable option of farming them in mass exists ;____;
For spring wild seeds, it's the horseradish.

adamyakanawa

Greenhorn
Most early-game cash the fastest, with the least investment, and disregarding every other consideration?
thanks a lot for the answer.

It's great to know about the potential with brown mushrooms and spice berries from the farm cave. And I totally agree, once you unlock the botanist profession, it's like hitting the jackpot with those normal quality mushrooms.

For anyone looking to make money now in Stardew Valley, these insights can be a game-changer. The struggle with spring seeds is real, but hey, at least there are other seasons to rake in the profits, right?

Last edited:

sophiex7

Greenhorn
Since you're at end of Summer, plant Pumpkins in Fall and Keg or Preserve Jar them. @WhiteEagle12 has a strong preference for Kegs and they make a lot of sense, I am simply too impatient to wait for a week and prefer Preserves Jars. I find that I never have enough Oak Resin early on to make Kegs while I have at least a reasonable amount of Coal thanks to the Kiln. Actually I find I'm short of Stone more often.

PJs can work better if you don't want to make as many of these machines as you can process the same amount of stuff in the same time with half as many Preserves Jars as Kegs. This does mean you need to check them twice a week instead of once for Kegs, though. Pick your poison. I prefer ice cream as too much of anything can kill you and ice cream seems a nice way to go.
Im about halfway trough my first summer but im pretty sure i won't have kegs unlocked untill the end of fall

Making money in Year 1 can be a challenge, but there are some strategies you can consider. One option is to focus on crops with high-profit margins, like blueberries, cranberries, or flowers. Another idea is to forage for items around your farm and sell them for extra cash. You could also try fishing or mining for valuable resources.
If you're looking for a fun way to potentially win some extra money, you might want to check out online bingo. There are some great apps where you can play free bingo win real money no deposit. It's a fun way to unwind and potentially earn some extra cash.

Last edited: