How to make money early

Lew Zealand

Helper
Since you're at end of Summer, plant Pumpkins in Fall and Keg or Preserve Jar them. @WhiteEagle12 has a strong preference for Kegs and they make a lot of sense, I am simply too impatient to wait for a week and prefer Preserves Jars. I find that I never have enough Oak Resin early on to make Kegs while I have at least a reasonable amount of Coal thanks to the Kiln. Actually I find I'm short of Stone more often.

PJs can work better if you don't want to make as many of these machines as you can process the same amount of stuff in the same time with half as many Preserves Jars as Kegs. This does mean you need to check them twice a week instead of once for Kegs, though. Pick your poison. I prefer ice cream as too much of anything can kill you and ice cream seems a nice way to go.

Since you're at end of Summer, plant Pumpkins in Fall and Keg or Preserve Jar them. @WhiteEagle12 has a strong preference for Kegs and they make a lot of sense, I am simply too impatient to wait for a week and prefer Preserves Jars. I find that I never have enough Oak Resin early on to make Kegs while I have at least a reasonable amount of Coal thanks to the Kiln. Actually I find I'm short of Stone more often.

PJs can work better if you don't want to make as many of these machines as you can process the same amount of stuff in the same time with half as many Preserves Jars as Kegs. This does mean you need to check them twice a week instead of once for Kegs, though. Pick your poison. I prefer ice cream as too much of anything can kill you and ice cream seems a nice way to go.
Lol, you are quite correct, @Lew Zealand. I do have a strong preference for kegs and now I have a rep for it I guess XD. It's all about preference, but either works. I really never found oak resin to be the issue though. It's those darn bars! Mass-producing kegs is either expensive or time-consuming. It's worth it though!

Tom

Farmer
Yes. At end of Summer, fast and lucrative Pale Ale (Hops in Kegs) is for next Summer or whenever that broken Greenhouse may turn into something useful. So Pumpkin Juice (Kegs) or Pickles (? Jars) is the order of the day. Chop, chop, chop and make those Jars or Kegs. And store up lots of Pumpkin to process all Winter long.

Of note, since ideally you want cash NOW and not later, I'd strongly recommend preserves jars and pumpkins in fall. Here's why:

Cheap-ish seeds. You can plant as many as you have sprinklers for, ideally plus some more if you're using quality sprinklers currently. To get a chance at giant crops, you need a 3x3 square, so a good way to go about it is a row of sprinklers, 1 extra row of pumpkins, another row of sprinklers, rinse and repeat. This gives the opportunity for 3x3 squares between the sprinklers and watering a few individual rows of crops doesn't take long at all.
Cheap-ish machines. Wood and stone are fairly plentiful, and they're also still dirt cheap at Robin's. Coal you can easily farm by heading to the 40s in the mine and killing dust sprites (the bouncing black balls). You need to kill a TON for the adventurer's guild in order to get rewarded with a VERY good item anyway, so slaughtering a few hundred and snagging enough coal to make the jars is a win/win. You'll get them faster if you farm the elevators - 45/55/65, then back to 0 to reset. Plus you only need 1 for every 3 pumpkin seeds you get, so you don't need That many.
Great Profits. Pumpkins put through preserves jars are only 30 less than pumpkins put through kegs, despite taking less than half as long to process. If you get say 300 seeds, and enough deluxe speed gro to go around (which you should definitely use Deluxe Speed Gro and make sure you plant on Fall 1 so you can get in 3 harvests rather than 2), you're looking at over 500k in profit by the time you're done selling all your pumpkin juice.

You can and should of course get other crops too for bundles or just to fill in room if you can't afford as many pumpkins as you'd like to be able to. It's a great idea to plant at Least 1 Fairy Rose, and to have any beehouses you have near that flower. If you do go this route, just make sure to pay attention to the fact that you'll need to replant, and you won't have the profits from the pickled pumpkin in yet. It's not ideal to sell unprocessed pumpkins, so try to make sure you have enough to afford round 2 of pumpkin seeds, whether that's from fishing or whatever else.

Good luck!

LRangerR

Local Legend
Something that I'm going to have to try one of these days (when I remember) is to upgrade my watering can right around alex's birthday when it rains for 2 days straight every time.

Although small earnings compared to kegs, preserve jars, mayo, and cheese, foraging is good supplemental income all year. Coral from the east beach is one of my solid regular money makers. And digging up large areas hunting snow yams and winter roots can help keep funds coming in daily through the winter. Leveling up foraging has many perks later in the game too.

Tom

Farmer
Although small earnings compared to kegs
digging up large areas hunting snow yams and winter roots
Jars and Kegs: The wiki points out that "if looking at profit per day based on the time required, the preserves jar outpaces the keg regardless of the base value of the item (in every case except for Hops and Wheat) since the preserves jar has a much faster processing time. " It also takes fewer Jars than Kegs to keep up with the same crops. (That said, I rarely major in Jars. My bad? Probably because I turn my poor farmer into a rich farmer mid Summer 1 with Pale Ale income.)

Digging: I don't think you meant to dig indiscriminately, did you? Aren't those universally indicated by "artifact spot" wigglers?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Jars and Kegs: The wiki points out that "if looking at profit per day based on the time required, the preserves jar outpaces the keg regardless of the base value of the item (in every case except for Hops and Wheat) since the preserves jar has a much faster processing time. " It also takes fewer Jars than Kegs to keep up with the same crops.
This is exactly why I use Preserve Jars. I always end up with far more harvested crops than Jars/Kegs to put them in so Jars get the g coming in and the crops out of my chests faster than the Kegs.

Lazy Farmer is also an Impatient and Greedy Farmer. Which head of Ghidorah or Cerberus will dominate is determined by 1d4 each morning.

Yes of course bed is the fourth, why did you even ask?

This is exactly why I use Preserve Jars. I always end up with far more harvested crops than Jars/Kegs to put them in so Jars get the g coming in and the crops out of my chests faster than the Kegs.

Lazy Farmer is also an Impatient and Greedy Farmer. Which head of Ghidorah or Cerberus will dominate is determined by 1d4 each morning.

Yes of course bed is the fourth, why did you even ask?
Just in case you guys were wondering, I finally broke down and made a big shed of preserve jars. Don't ask me why. I did it for fun. I can see why they're good. But mass producing them is a pain. Like, a really big pain.

hexnessie

Farmer
That said, I rarely major in Jars. My bad? Probably because I turn my poor farmer into a rich farmer mid Summer 1 with Pale Ale income.
I did a "Thou shall not profit from spirits" challenge a while ago, so selling anything alcoholic was banned = no pale ale / starfruit wine profits.

Surprisingly, I made a killing profit on strawberry/blueberry jelly and later starfruit jelly. I also finally had no issue with deferred profit (i.e. paying for starfruit seeds, growing the fruit, and then waiting many weeks until I can finally process them because kegs are slow).

I did a "Thou shall not profit from spirits" challenge a while ago, so selling anything alcoholic was banned = no pale ale / starfruit wine profits.

Surprisingly, I made a killing profit on strawberry/blueberry jelly and later starfruit jelly. I also finally had no issue with deferred profit (i.e. paying for starfruit seeds, growing the fruit, and then waiting many weeks until I can finally process them because kegs are slow).
That's how it was for me, until I got 1,100 kegs. Then I can process however much I want! Really though, it is worth it to wait. There's no rush.

Elenna101

Farmer
Jars and Kegs: The wiki points out that "if looking at profit per day based on the time required, the preserves jar outpaces the keg regardless of the base value of the item (in every case except for Hops and Wheat) since the preserves jar has a much faster processing time. " It also takes fewer Jars than Kegs to keep up with the same crops. (That said, I rarely major in Jars. My bad? Probably because I turn my poor farmer into a rich farmer mid Summer 1 with Pale Ale income.)

Digging: I don't think you meant to dig indiscriminately, did you? Aren't those universally indicated by "artifact spot" wigglers?
Re: jars vs kegs: it depends on your situation. Early game, when you want cash quickly and probably don't have a lot of jars or kegs? Yeah, the faster processing of jars is useful. Plus you can buy all the materials to make jars, or farm them relatively easily, unlike kegs where you have to wait for the tappers.
Later, though, it depends on your playstyle but I'll get to a point where I have as many jars and kegs as I need, and I'm only limited by the amount of farming space I have. Plus by that point I have enough cash on hand for any smaller purchases and I'm just saving up for the big stuff. At that point, what's important to me is the amount of money per farming space, not amount of money per day, since farming spaces are the limiting factor. So if kegs will give me more value per crop, I'll go with kegs.

Re: digging, you have a chance of getting winter roots and snow yams in the winter from any tillable spot, not just the ones with worms.

Tom

Farmer

I love this! I love the non-spirit spirit and the results!

[QUOTE="Tom, post: 60839, member: 186

[/QUOTE]

On a low income winter day, you never dug the whole beach along with Robin's and Pam's entire yard? $$$$ plus you can pop the roots in the seedmaker for winter wild seeds. If you're a botanist wild seed crops are iridium!