How often do you use tags?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hello! This is just a general interest check and also to gauge how necessary tag requirements are for some sections in the forum. To clarify, tags are words you use to describe the posts below your normal post and are generally used for searching purposes, or just describing in the intent of your post.

- Do you click on tags? If you do, which ones do you find the most useful/interesting?
- Where in the forums do you find tags the most useful? Feel free to describe as many as you'd like.
- Where in the forums do you find tags unnecessary? Feel free to describe as many as you'd like.
- Do you think tags should be required in some sections of the forums? Why?

Feel free to also add any additional thoughts about the topic, even if they aren't covered in the above questions!

Ereo

Helper
I don't use them at all.

They are also not shown in the "new posts" (at least on mobile). Since I primarily use that to see posts, I only see the tags after I opened the thread already.

Lew Zealand

Helper
The only things of mine I've tagged are writing in the Fan Works section. Actually I find tags to be very helpful there but not overly so in other places, with the exception of the Bugs sections. The tags there are helpful so I can respond to Mac and PC bugs where I have some experience (and can test) and not consoles or mobile where I have little to no experience.

Any extra thing that could even a leetle beet stand in the way of someone posting, like requiring a tag, might not be an overall benefit to the Forum if it keeps a few people away. I think tags are very helpful in the Bugs section so if it's possible to require them only there, that could be fine, but not so much overall.

Pangaearocks

Planter
- Do you click on tags? If you do, which ones do you find the most useful/interesting?
- Where in the forums do you find tags the most useful? Feel free to describe as many as you'd like.
- Where in the forums do you find tags unnecessary? Feel free to describe as many as you'd like.
- Do you think tags should be required in some sections of the forums? Why?
When you mean "click on" I assume you refer to already created threads, because I didn't see a way to choose from pre-selected tags. Filters are different, and I like to use those in bug reports and valley showcase.

About tags, I've used them for a few topics I created, but not a lot. They always have the issue of selecting too harshly, like plural/not plural for example. It's a nice idea, but not sure how well it works in practice. In one of those threads I used "skull cavern" as a tag, and clicked on that and found some more threads, but I'm sure much more would appear if using it as a search word instead.

Don't think having it as a requirement is a good idea. Bound to be cases where a user tries to create a thread, it doesn't work, and it's hard to understand or can be confusing to 'see' that missing tags is the reason.

Filters I find very useful when looking for Linux or PC-specific bugs, or when trying to get inspiration for the particular farm map I'm playing.