How json content file mods work?

thefinehorse

Cowpoke
Hi I'm new to modding Stardew Valley. I'm very confused because I don't know how to start modding, even reading the wiki's guide. The first thing I would like to know is why the wiki show a .DLL mod file tutorial and why (mostly my mods) uses content.json files to work? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I really don't know nothing (any recommendations are welcome xD).

Quirinea

Farmer
Yeah, that it a bit outdated -- almost everything can be done using content packs that is much easier (and requires only an editor, not a C# environment...)
The easiest way to start could be to download a CP mod (preferably of course one you like to use) and look at it. After that you know which questions to ask.
(an old geek's old trick: you have a programming task. Look for a colleagues code doing something that resembles what you need to do and edit it...)

Last edited:

thefinehorse

Cowpoke
Yeah, that it a bit outdated -- almost everything can be done using content packs that is much easier (and requires only an editor, not a C# environment...)
The easiest way to start could be to download a CP mod (preferably of course one you like to use) and look at it. After that you know which questions to ask.
(an old geeks old trick: you have a programming task. Look for a colleagues code doing something that resembles what you need to do and edit it...)
Thank you for leading me on this journey. So, about CP coding, I really don't know how to create anything with this method, even the simplest mod. I wonder if there is a guide/dictionary explaining every single thing, since I'm pretending to make advanced stuff, like custom events, dialogues, converting non NPCs to NPCs all in one mod (very simple). Thank you again for everything.