hihihi! could you help me out here?

dallas

Greenhorn
im stuck struggling to get a prismatic shard, and the skull caverns are too much of a struggle for me. any tips?

Start cracking Omni-Geodes? I think 1.5 changed Sandy's inventory, she used to sell an unlimited number on Wednesdays, but I think she now has a limited stock. Prismatic Shards are on the list of possible things to come out of one.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Killing monsters and breaking mystic nodes can yeild prismatic shards.

Reaching floor 120 of the mines grants all monsters the chance to drop a shard albeit low (1/2000). It also can’t be refilled by burglar ring due to a bug

Some monsters have an inherent shard drop chance that stacks with the floor 120 one. This can be rerolled with a burglar ring.

Most of these monsters are found in skull cavern but some shadow monsters found in the later levels of the mines have a chance that when added onto the floor 120 chance and rerolled with burglar leads to about a 1/666 chance for them to drop a shard.

The other easy option is breaking mystic nodes which are most commonly found in the quarry and later levels of the mines. They have a 1/4 chance of dropping a shard upon being broken though if you find one in the quarry you can force a shard from it every time.
Because of the way the game advances certain drops, you can break a node, if you don’t get it reset, and try again the next day. Each day will be another “chance” and because the chance is quite high (1/4 or 25%) it doesn’t take too long to get one this way.

Njin

Planter
Hiya, Prismatic shards can be a little challenging to obtain without skull cavern but not impossible .. The long route is dependent on omni geodes you'll want a lot as it is a less than 1%. spamming the 100th-120th floor of the mine or so you can probably get a few each day once you have about 150 of them go on a lucky day to clint's to crack them open you should be able to get a shard that way but it may take more, you can also find these geodes in artifact spots and fishing also krobus will sell one for 300g on tuesdays I think.. Sandy sells a couple for a lot though i forget which day and also if you have a few million around you can buy statues of endless fortune.. I don't really recommend that method however .. what I do recommend is to first get yourself a burglar ring and you do that by slaying 500 dust sprites .. best way to do that is to keep spamming floor 40/41 you may find a few there, I take a few shots to find ladders and maybe do the same on floor 42-43 but focus on the sprites and not finding the ladders so much, rinse and repeat.. you will be notified that you reached a goal and you can collect your reward.. once you have that you can kill carbon ghost on floor 70+ and they will drop you 2 omni geodes almost every time (99% chance). This may also take a while. I know you say you want to avoid the cavern but your absolute best bet though is the cavern combined with the burglar ring. You can get prismatic shards as special drops from a lot of enemies. you don't even have to go deep to do that just bring some food, kill the serpents, kill the ghosts .. But you absolutely do not have to do the cavern to get your shard but I strongly recommend you don't avoid it entirely as it will cut you grind time in half.. best of luck :)

Everyone needs preparation and hard work for the start of the game. It's difficult, so prepare food, buffs and strong weapons to face the skull cave.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Psst. Using Stardew Predictor you can check what geodes give what, and arrange them at Clint's so you get the best outcome...
The only geode that gives shards is also the easiest to get so there is no reason to for that alone.

It’s very useful for other stuff though.

Keep killing slimes in the standard mines, the secret woods, and turn on monsters on your farm (at the witches hut) if you haven't already so you can kill a few each night there. Get the slime ring from the adventurer's guild (after killing 1000 slimes) so slimes can't hurt you or inflict slow on you. Then, you can into the higher levels of skull cavern (1-25 aren't bad) and just worry about the flying serpents (face them head-on when fighting them) while mining for omni-geodes. Bring as many bombs as you've managed to get a hold of, a few high health items, a stack of low/mid health items, a staircase or two (when you just need to get out of a floor), and as much coffee as you can make beforehand. Plus, of course, your weapon and pickaxe. ^_^

You can also get omni-geodes in the standard mines from level 40 onward or in the quarry, just usually in lower numbers. You can purchase them from Krobus or Sandy on specific days.

Make sure to check the quarry on good luck days for a mystic node. I just got a prismatic shard and two iridium ores from one.