Help with Steam and controller pls?

Tinks

Planter
Hi

I felt I couldn't wait and tried to download it to my Macbook! I've never used Steam before though only having the Switch which is much less complicated cos everything just works instantly amd I struggle with anything complicated since my stroke.

So I registered for account first you give your email it sends one to you to verify right?... thats fine ... then I had to create a made up 'account name' ..so it's not showing everyone your real name .. I did that ... found Mac version of Stardew Valley and downloaded it, it started up fine.

I was using a third party switch pro controller which Macbook easily connected to ... though on the first screen when pushing joystick up it wouldnt go as far as the top text box (for characters name) I just used keyboard to type that in as it was quicker. game starts up...character wouldnt move out of bed! went back to desktop and controller had disconnected. again.. it kept doing so everytime, by the time I had returned to the game.

I then noticed my full name was showing on the Steam page and not my account/screen name I had made up so disconnected from internet, reconnected controller to laptop via bluetooth then tried going into game again...character still wouldn't move ...wasted first day been unable to move. (I'll want to delete this and start again from first day)

I was fed up and tired by then so just went to bed.... today I'm wondering if will work better if I used PS5 controller which has a longer USB lead so could just plug it into laptop and surely I could play it offline with a 'wired controller'? I also have an Hori Zelda Switch Pro controller too I can try just in case it's the other third party controller thats the problem.

I don't have an XBox so don't have any Xbox controllers are they the only one's Steam works with??

So my questions . ...

1) can I not play offline logged out of Steam?

i2) f not how do I change it so its not showing my real name, otherwise `I'm not going to playing any multiplayers or be able to be seen online...whats the point of creating an account name if its then going to show everyone your real name? How do I fix this?

3) why does my controller keep disconnecting by the time I get into the game and why did it work intially (when was still online) but wouldn't move my character after I gone offline, reconnected controller to MB and gone back into game??

4) How do I delete that first file? Where do I find it on my Macbook? (I don't have any other games on it as don't usually play games on it) I want to start again once I've solved teh controller issue.

Got to go walk my (real) dog first before get started on this, but will return later in the hope someone has the solution!

Thanks