Solved [HELP] Where can I download the PC update?

Elliander

Farmhand
Hi, I recently purchased Stardew Valley for PC from Fangamer. I paid more and waited a few weeks for it because I wanted a physical disc. I got it in the mail today and was able to install it, but I noticed it's on Version 1.3 and there doesn't appear to be any "Check for Updates" option. I googled,"How do I update Stardew Valley on PC" and I found a long list of articles talking about the update - including official updates -but no links to the update file anywhere. I looked on Fangamer, and there's no updates there either. I checked the wiki and looked at the pages talking about each update and no updates there either. I even checked Steam, but since I didn't buy it from them I am not allowed to access files related to the game there. Lastly, I searched the official forums for any topics related to downloading updates and nothing turned up so I created an account specifically to ask:

How am I supposed to get the update for this game?

Elliander

Farmhand
I found the steam code. So... I don't actually like having to use Steam to play games. That's why I paid double to get the physical discs. Can I save the updater through the browser logged into Steam, or am I required to run Steam in order to update and play now? If so that's not what I consider DRM free to mean >.<

EDIT: I tried activating the code on Steam and it says "Invalid Product Code. The product code you've entered isnot valid. Please double check to see if you've mistyped your key."

I double checked, and it's typed correctly. It's in the following format: AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC. I tried with or without dashes. I wouldn't care so much, except now I am being told that I am required to use Steam to update the game >.< This arrived sealed in shrinkwrap so I know it wasn't used by anyone else.

EDIT 2: I closed and reopened steam and I was able to activate it. It was just a problem with steam. Still, I don't really consider this to be a DRM free copy if I am required to agree to Steam's Subscriber Agreement and use their DRM in order to play what I paid for.

EDIT 3: Steam won't let me update the game that I installed from the physical disc. It's trying to make me install it using Steam client and I don't want to. How do I update the version of the game installed by physical disc?

Last edited:

liquidcat

Staff member
Hi, while I'm not aware of how you can update the fangamer version, once you download the game through the steam, you can safely uninstall the app as the steam version of the game does not require steam to play it once its downloading.

Elliander

Farmhand
Based on the above I figured out that if I first install the Fangamer files to a PC that doesn't have Steam installed and then manually overwrite all the files onto it the update will work. That way I don't have to reinstall Steam every time an update comes out, but it's still a pain.

The next problem I came to was Gamepad support. The game simply does not recognize any of my Gamepads. Not my Nvidia Shield controller and not my PS4 controller. The PC recognizes it, but the game doesn't... Unless I open it in Steam. Then it works. Ugh. So both game updates AND gamepad support is locked behind the Steam wall? Why?

I found this workaround:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ConcernedApe\Stardew Valley\Stardew Valley.exe" %command%

Using the above under "Launch Options" in steam to make it run the path of the game which means that it won't be running whatever it updates to, and the gamepad will work, but if I try this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ConcernedApe\Stardew Valley\StardewModdingAPI.exe" %command%

or even this:

"D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\StardewModdingAPI.exe" %command%

The gamepad will not work in Steam, even if launching from Big Picture mode unless in the properties I de-select "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game", then it works so I can use the controller to try playing with mods.

However, again, this ONLY works launching from Steam and ONLY if I ALSO install the game from Steam. I can use the above method to run the Fangamer install that is in a folder other than what steam installed, but in that case I am required to have two installs on the same machine which is redundant aside from the obvious situation of wanting to avoid automatic updates that might break a mod.

So, I am still trying to figure out how to play without Steam.

Finally, I tried using JoyToKey to manually set the keybinds and that at least worked, well, sort of. It can't do everything I can do on a console because, for example, there are no keyboard shortcuts for "Open Crafting Menu" and I can't switch items either because, unlike other games that use the mouse scroll wheel to switch between items on a bar (which I can replicate with a trigger button in either direction) this game has me pressing 1 through 0 which I can't do. and even if I could, the game changes what button does what when menus are open.

*sigh* So, in case I missed anything, does anyone have any other ideas on what I can do to be able to play this game without steam? I've been at this literally all day.

EDIT: I made some progress. Turns out if, instead of installing anything with Fangamer disc, I installed fresh with Steam and ran it once from Steam with the gamepad working I can then run it without steam afterwards and the gamepad will work, however, so far this only works for "Stardew Valley.exe" and not "StardewModdingAPI.exe". There doesn't appear to be any way to run the Fangamer install without launching through a steam game installation's launch options and no way to run mods without running through steam specifically. So far. I'm still trying.

Last edited:

Elliander

Farmhand
I finally figured it out!

OK, so after overwriting the Fangamer install with files from the Steam Install I run the game with a keyboard and mouse and then after starting the game go to:

options > Gamepad Mode > Force On

Doing so will allow the gamepad to work without steam! and it works with mods too! I unfortunately cannot use the Gamepad outside of a game, and each new game needs to have it set to Force On once manually, but it's better than nothing.

It still urks me that Steam is required to update the game. It mostly makes the Fangamer installer pointless for anything other than having an install to overwrite on a computer without steam. Still, it at least works now.

For anyone who reads this later, to summarize: In order to update the game you either need to install from Steam or have a copy of all the files for a steam installation. And in order to use a Gamepad and play without steam you need to set "Gamepad Mode" to "Force On" in options.

As general feedback: Please make it so "Gamepad Mode" can be set to "Force On"in menus, and please introduce an installer for those of us who don't want to mess with steam.

Elliander

Farmhand
GOG still provides installers for purchased games, no Galaxy client required.
By installer, do you mean an updater? If so why isn't an updater provided by the company that made the game?

I stopped buying from GOG years ago. My last purchase was "Creatures" by Cyberlife. I found out after purchase that they modified the game in such a way as to make literally all game expansions and community objects unusable and they would not refund the game. I ended up having to hunt down a disc version of the game to play. A company that makes major modifications to a game in such a manner that breaks things without informing people and then does not honor it's own refund policy is not one I'd like to support. Steam is worse, but still, there's a reason why I prefer disc copies of games when available.