PC [HELP] Very Zoomed Out Screen Bug

So, I am currenly playing Stardew Valley for the first time and I have made it all the way up to Fall in Year 1. I absolutely love this game! I wanted to look at the Stardew Valley wiki for tips and what gifts to give certain people, so I went into the settings and put it into windowed mode. The first thing I noticed was the screen was pretty zoomed out. I tried waiting for it to fix itself but it stayed the way it was. I tried putting it back into Full Screen but that didn't help. At this point I figured, no big deal, I'll just zoom in my game, maybe that's the problem. Sadly, the max zoom-in isnt big enough to match what I previously had. I can basically see the whole main area of the town by just going in the center, and my mouse and clock are so tiny I can barely see them. Not to mention my hotbar and menu is pretty zoomed out too. The only way for me to have it somewhat the same as it was before is to greatly reduce the screen resolution from what I had prior. Is this a bug? I put before and after images down at the bottom. P.S. Sorry for bad image quality, Steam likes to to that to screenshots.

Before.PNG

After.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Odin

Staff member
Load into your save, open your inventory, and select the options tab. Scroll down to Graphics and make sure the resolution matches your monitor.

Odin

Staff member
I can't play on my screen resolution (3840 x 2160) without it zooming way out, thank you for trying, though.
You can also try using the game's zoom feature (1.5 has split this into two), and you can also consider using a non-native resolution, for example setting the game to 1920x1080 instead.

Load into your save, open your inventory, and select the options tab. Scroll down to Graphics and make sure the resolution matches your monitor.
Here are pictures of my PC resolution, my game when it has a tiny window, and when it has the normal fullscreen window.

Comp.PNG
Tiny Window.PNG
Normal Window.PNG

You can also try using the game's zoom feature (1.5 has split this into two), and you can also consider using a non-native resolution, for example setting the game to 1920x1080 instead.
My game used to be able to play on my game resolution just fine until I put it in a window, and the zoom in features don't zoom in enough to go back to what they were before.

Odin

Staff member
My game used to be able to play on my game resolution just fine until I put it in a window, and the zoom in features don't zoom in enough to go back to what they were before.
If you switch from windowed to fullscreen, you should be able to adjust the resolution of the game to another value (I'd recommend trying 1920x1080) which may help with this problem.

Al6170

Farmhand
This should fix the issue.
  1. Go to Steam.
  2. Right-click on Stardew Valley in the Library and click properties.
  3. Click on “Browse local files” in the local files tab.
  4. Right-click on Stadew Valley.exe. It should have the Chicken icon. Click properties.
  5. Go to the compatibility tab and uncheck “Disable fullscreen optimizations”
  6. Click “Change high DPI settings” and uncheck both boxes.
  7. Click OK on the DPI settings and click apply.
  8. If you installed a modding API, right-click on StardewModdingAPI.exe(also has a chicken icon) and click properties. Repeat steps 5-7.
Credit to u/OctalSmile

eviekateswann

Newcomer
This should fix the issue.
  1. Go to Steam.
  2. Right-click on Stardew Valley in the Library and click properties.
  3. Click on “Browse local files” in the local files tab.
  4. Right-click on Stadew Valley.exe. It should have the Chicken icon. Click properties.
  5. Go to the compatibility tab and uncheck “Disable fullscreen optimizations”
  6. Click “Change high DPI settings” and uncheck both boxes.
  7. Click OK on the DPI settings and click apply.
  8. If you installed a modding API, right-click on StardewModdingAPI.exe(also has a chicken icon) and click properties. Repeat steps 5-7.
Credit to u/OctalSmile
this didn't work for me as the boxes were already unchecked, any other suggestions? this bug is ruining my life fr

Harini_17

Greenhorn
this didn't work for me as the boxes were already unchecked, any other suggestions? this bug is ruining my life fr
After a lot of tinkering I finally found the solution. When you open the game, don't expand it to full screen. Enter the game and under graphics option change the Window Mode (which would be as Windowed or Window Borderless I think) to Fullscreen. This will allow you to change the resolution. Change it to 1920x1080 and it goes back to the way it was. Let me know if it works for you as well!

eviekateswann

Newcomer
After a lot of tinkering I finally found the solution. When you open the game, don't expand it to full screen. Enter the game and under graphics option change the Window Mode (which would be as Windowed or Window Borderless I think) to Fullscreen. This will allow you to change the resolution. Change it to 1920x1080 and it goes back to the way it was. Let me know if it works for you as well!
this fixed it for me too!! thanks so much, actually saved my life <3

Atio_

Newcomer
It didn't work for me? I tried it and it's still all zoomed out, what do I do?

Atio_

Newcomer
When I set it to 1920x1080 it just makes it a smaller window in the screen, all black on the outside

twinlynx

Greenhorn
For me changing the resolution worked but only if I left the game in fullscreen, even after changing it to 1920x1080 it'll just go back to the wonky zoomed out version if I switch to windowed (which is the version I prefer since I can switch tabs easily)

ZeroMeters

Cowpoke
Stardew Valley is NOT completely resolution independent from the resolution settings of your screen / Opearting System. This is why you can set the resolution on fullscreen, but not on window mode. On Window mode, the game is resolution dependent, falling back to your screen / OS settings.

So you have to, at the moment, play window mode and have no control over how "zoomed out" the game is, or play full screen mode.

That being said, I have been considering to write a mod to make the game fully resolution independent. Though the amount of work needed to do this is currently unknown.

In game development and graphic programming, we typically set up a game to be able to have its own resolution settings away from the current settings of the Operating System. This allows the developers to not have to worry about the screen size, and it allows the player base to control how the game stretches out, without needing to modify the Operating System's settings.

The limit to what you can set the game's resolution to is either up to the current OS settings, or the absolute maximum resolution allowed by the OS / Hardware. It only scales down, never up.

SquirrelTail15

Greenhorn
My game resolution is still zoomed out even in Fullscreen 1920 x 1080 (same as my computer). Windowed mode is also still extremely zoomed out; both have the same issue and nothing I do seems to fix it. Changing the fullscreen resolution just screws it in different ways.

IagoHyde

Newcomer
This is a very late response, but I figured I would post it if other people are still struggling and none of the above options work!

The way I fixed this issue was to go into the display settings on my computer. It's a high-resolution computer naturally, so I changed the resolution on the (computer) display to 1920x 1080, then went and opened the game again. The game, even in windowed mode, showed no issues with zooming out or zooming in! I recommend, if this option doesn't work immediately, to play with the resolution sizes on your screen a bit to see if another size works better. After you're done playing the game, you can always change the resolution back on your laptop pretty easily :)