PC Help, unable to play

Veyleen

Farmhand
Hello, I was a bit careless and did not back up my old save, I started to mod my game files and at first, it was with just new saves but then I also wanted to try some mods on my main game aaaand now it is the ONLY save unable to load in... I heard someone had the same problem before and they posted here, got it solved, I was wondering if the same might be possible for me?

If there's no way then at least I tried but I invested so much time in that old save and it's also where my friends have a home. I should have reconsidered before modding that save but what's done is done, sadly.

Regardless, thank you for your time.

UlyanaLeyana

Planter
Hello, I was a bit careless and did not back up my old save, I started to mod my game files and at first, it was with just new saves but then I also wanted to try some mods on my main game aaaand now it is the ONLY save unable to load in... I heard someone had the same problem before and they posted here, got it solved, I was wondering if the same might be possible for me?

If there's no way then at least I tried but I invested so much time in that old save and it's also where my friends have a home. I should have reconsidered before modding that save but what's done is done, sadly.

Regardless, thank you for your time.
Hi, if you played with mods, then SMAPI has made backups for you, find them here:
Code:
Disk:\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\save-backups
or wherever your game is located.
Just find the one that was created before you messed up the save file.

Veyleen

Farmhand
Hi, if you played with mods, then SMAPI has made backups for you, find them here:
Code:
Disk:\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\save-backups
or wherever your game is located.
Just find the one that was created before you messed up the save file.
I see them, where do I put them?

Veyleen

Farmhand
Open archive you selected, then find the folder with the save you want to fix and place it in your save folder:
Code:
%AppData%\StardewValley\Saves
View attachment 5973

Are they supposed to have exactly the same name? If not, they do.
I replaced the files either way and still got the same result, would that mean it did not save the old file?

UlyanaLeyana

Planter
Are they supposed to have exactly the same name? If not, they do.
I replaced the files either way and still got the same result, would that mean it did not save the old file?
Yes, the name of the save folder must have the same name of the folder you want to restore.
And no, SMAPI creates archives every day when you start the game. Try using files from an older archive. The date can be seen in the name of the archive.

Veyleen

Farmhand
Probably doesn't help if I uninstalled SMAPI? I figured I wouldn't use it since I was no longer modding...

UlyanaLeyana

Planter
Probably doesn't help if I uninstalled SMAPI? I figured I wouldn't use it since I was no longer modding...
This will not help restore your save save, but you can delete it later if you don't plan play with mods anymore.
If you still need help, then run that broken save and provide a log.