Switch [HELP] Trying to play alongside my Daughter. (Nintendo Switch)

Twolef

Newcomer
I am hoping someone can help me. I have been trying to get the game to work for months.

My daughter and I don't get to see each other much, especially now with COVID, so I had bought myself a Switch and a copy of Stardew Valley hoping that we could spend some time making a farm together. I got a Nintendo Family account and bought the game via the eshop for myself and then a download code for my daughter.

We can't redeem her code because her switch says that a user has already purchased the game (I'm assuming that's me). Nintendo won't give me a refund on the code, quoting some legalese which does nothing except leave me out of pocket and their customer support takes weeks to respond.

So, unfortunately, we're stuck. We both really want to play the game but we can't seem to work put how.

Can anyone shed some light on the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

rippytrippy

Planter
I am hoping someone can help me. I have been trying to get the game to work for months.

My daughter and I don't get to see each other much, especially now with COVID, so I had bought myself a Switch and a copy of Stardew Valley hoping that we could spend some time making a farm together. I got a Nintendo Family account and bought the game via the eshop for myself and then a download code for my daughter.

We can't redeem her code because her switch says that a user has already purchased the game (I'm assuming that's me). Nintendo won't give me a refund on the code, quoting some legalese which does nothing except leave me out of pocket and their customer support takes weeks to respond.

So, unfortunately, we're stuck. We both really want to play the game but we can't seem to work put how.

Can anyone shed some light on the problem.
hm... are you using 2 separate accounts?
that may seem like a dumb question but im just trying to get a better understanding here

Twolef

Newcomer
hm... are you using 2 separate accounts?
that may seem like a dumb question but im just trying to get a better understanding here
Not a dumb question at all.

I'm assuming that we are. We have separate profiles on the Switch. We have different log-ins and usernames. I linked her to my account via the Nintendo Family plan. I had done a bit of research into it and I thought that was what you had to do but I'm thinking I might have misunderstood something.

I was thinking of deleting my profile on her Switch and seeing if that helped but it came up with a warning that it would unlink accounts and I didn't want to have wasted money on the Family Account, too, especially if that meant that I'd have to get two online accounts to make it possible.

Odin

Staff member
Just to make sure I understand the issue correctly:
Do you have one Switch that you're sharing, or do you each have a Switch?
Did you purchase the game twice (so you'd each have a copy) or just once?

Twolef

Newcomer
Just to make sure I understand the issue correctly:
Do you have one Switch that you're sharing, or do you each have a Switch?
Did you purchase the game twice (so you'd each have a copy) or just once?
We each have a Switch and I purchased the game twice: once on my Switch, using eShop directly on the Switch, and another time via Nintendo.com where I bought a download code.

rippytrippy

Planter
what a strange situation..
so you're saying that your daughter can't redeem her code...? well since it's telling you that she's already purchased the game, have you tried going to the game in the nintendo e-shop? if it says that the game has been purchased there then try to download it ig.

sorry if what i say is no help lol

Odin

Staff member
We each have a Switch and I purchased the game twice: once on my Switch, using eShop directly on the Switch, and another time via Nintendo.com where I bought a download code.
If she opens the eShop on her switch via your profile, can she download Stardew from there?

oshy

Greenhorn
Something similar happened with me and my wife. We used to only have 1 Switch. I set up a Nintendo Online account under my profile name. I purchased the family plan and added her as a member. We purchased a second Switch because she wanted to have her own island in Animal Crossing. We found out that digital games I purchased were not playable with her profile on her Switch. She would need to sign in as me to play them. When we decided to purchase Stardew Valley just a few days ago we had planned on getting two copies. She already had her card attached to her eShop account and she bought her copy on her personal Switch. A few minutes after she did that, I booted my Switch up to purchase my copy from the eShop under my profile but it said it was already purchased. I went to nintendo.com and saw the same thing. I couldn't buy it. I figured I just needed to download it again through the redownload section in the eShop but it wasn't there. I was really confused because I wanted to play with my wife but I was unable to buy the game. Since my wife still had a profile on my Switch (from our first Animal Crossing island) I logged into the eShop as her and I saw Stardew Valley has the download option available. So I went ahead and downloaded the game. After it downloaded I started the game with my profile expecting to see a message that the game cannot be played but it let me play. I asked my wife to try and play the game with her Switch because I thought since I was playing then she wouldn't be able to but that was not the case. She could play the game too. We both have been playing a Co Op game on separate Switches but only able to buy the game once.

If you have a profile on your daughter's Switch then have her log in and visit the eShop with your profile. Navigate to the top right of the eShop page where you see your avatar to access a new menu which will have an option to redownload games. Select Redownload from the menu and look for Stardew Valley. After the game is downloaded she can launch it with her profile. We have had no issue other than the mysterious lag that randomly occurs but that is another issue that I have no solution for and seems to be affecting a lot of Switch players. My wife and I play through it but it can make fishing and combat a little tricky. I hope some of this helps.