Windows [HELP] This post is to help those getting the Failed to create graphics device error

kaguya_yoru

Newcomer
TL;DR: If you are getting the error message "Failed to create graphics device!" and have both an integrated graphics card and a discrete graphics card on your desktop, the display cable from your monitor may be plugged into the wrong connector in your computer to be able to access the discrete graphics card. Try looking for a row of connectors like this (https://abload.de/img/gpuuutujow.jpg) and switching your display cable to it.

Since the 1.5.5 update, I have only been able to play the game in compatibility mode. Otherwise, the game won't even start: the Play button on Steam times out after a little bit without launching the game and I get the following Error Log:

InnerException: System.PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object.Try updating your graphics drivers.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.FramebufferHelper.Create(GraphicsDevice gd) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.FramebufferHelper.cs:line 32
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.cs:line 340
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Initialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.cs:line 357
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation gdi) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 144
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 115
Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 123
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 838
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 465
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Game Version: 1.5.6
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: Could not detect.

I have
- updated every single driver I could possibly update for my computer
- repaired and re-installed XNA 4.0
- installed .NET 5.0
- disabled and re-enabled my Intel UHD Graphics 630 card
- made Steam an exception for Windows Security in case the antivirus was blocking it from launching
- changed my graphics settings to only use my AMD Radeon RX5600 graphics card for both Steam and Stardew Valley

and yet, nothing was working. I also tried running dxdiag and OpenGL Extensions Viewer to see if my OpenGL was up to date but for some reason, they were only showing my Intel UHD Graphics 630 card and not my AMD Radeon RX5600 graphics card no matter what settings I changed in the AMD Radeon software. Finally, I stumbled onto this Reddit thread ( https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/k7fleo/rx_5600_xt_stuck_at_opengl_11/germ6d6/ ) and it turns out that my display cable for my monitor was not plugged into the correct connector. I shut down the computer, switched the display cable to the connector for my discrete graphics card, and when I turned my computer back on, Stardew Valley worked!

St_Marlo

Greenhorn
I’m having the same problem and much the same issue but with only an integrated graphics card to use. I’m running a laptop. I had run it for about 5-7 hours but suddenly it won’t run. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Lew Zealand

Helper
If I was getting these errors, I would download and reinstall the current graphics drivers for my integrated graphics (or video card if you had a separate one). It is very convenient to go here to get them for Intel/Nvidia/AMD graphics:

Upper right hand corner, below Latest GPU Drivers. They are always the most recent versions available but also have older versions for older graphics cards/integrated gfx.

If this doesn't work, you could try removing your graphics drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), and then reinstall those current drivers you installed above. This insures there aren't any residual driver bits left over from previous installs. I usually download DDU from here:

However now that I'm thinking about it, you could have both integrated graphics and a dedicated card in your laptop (I have one older laptop with this setup) and Stardew Valley could be confused which one to use. Probably not the case for you but something to check in general.

St_Marlo

Greenhorn
If I was getting these errors, I would download and reinstall the current graphics drivers for my integrated graphics (or video card if you had a separate one). It is very convenient to go here to get them for Intel/Nvidia/AMD graphics:

Upper right hand corner, below Latest GPU Drivers. They are always the most recent versions available but also have older versions for older graphics cards/integrated gfx.

If this doesn't work, you could try removing your graphics drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), and then reinstall those current drivers you installed above. This insures there aren't any residual driver bits left over from previous installs. I usually download DDU from here:

However now that I'm thinking about it, you could have both integrated graphics and a dedicated card in your laptop (I have one older laptop with this setup) and Stardew Valley could be confused which one to use. Probably not the case for you but something to check in general.
I do have both integrated graphics and a dedicated gpu (I think an Intel HD 3000) built into the board(its a laptop). I think I somewhat solved the problem by running the (beta) 32-bit legacy version in Steam. I did try installing original graphics drivers over the current ones but I’m not sure if that did anything. Maybe I’ll try the uninstalled. I originally installed, played about 6.5 hours waited a week went back and it was broken. Another theory I have is that the newest update doesn’t like my setup. (What can I say when I’m too cheap for a newer one?)

Tom

Rancher
If none of that helps (checking connections, updating drivers, compatibility mode), there's a sketchy driver that fixed my old computer with maxed out 2012 Intel HD driver issue at the end of this thread.

Tom

Rancher
For what it's worth, my laptop with 2012 Intel HD graphics was also running fine 2 weeks ago without the fix I mentioned above. I'm not sure what changed between then and now, whether Stardew Valley changed, or whether I lost something important when I reinstalled Windows a week ago. In any case, that sketchy patch allowed me to run Stardew Valley.

St_Marlo

Greenhorn
For what it's worth, my laptop with 2012 Intel HD graphics was also running fine 2 weeks ago without the fix I mentioned above. I'm not sure what changed between then and now, whether Stardew Valley changed, or whether I lost something important when I reinstalled Windows a week ago. In any case, that sketch patch allowed me to run Stardew Valley.
I had purchased the game the beginning of last week put 6.5 hours on it playing multiplayer and then ignored it until yesterday when it was broken. Looking at the Steam log(…?) of events it says that it has had a patch since then.

Reactions: Tom

Lew Zealand

Helper
The weird thing about this is I'm playing on a Mac with older graphics than any of those: Nvidia 9400M. However I should get off my duff and try it on my (lol, newer) Intel HD 3000 Mac.

What? Ok you convinced me. Trying that now.

And Tom if you ever have problems with your 2012 Intel Integrated Graphics again, I have the latest (2019!) driver for it, though it's probably what you've tried already and that sketchy patch seems to have worked so hopefully that'll never happen!

Edit: Fresh install of Stardew Valley v1.5.6 go crashy-crash on my Intel HD 3000 Mac. I have the Compatibility mode installer on another Mac, I'll fetch that and try it out.
Edit 2: Compatibility mode version didn't work either. And that one's working on my older 9400M laptop. Weirdness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Tom

Rancher
I had purchased the game the beginning of last week put 6.5 hours on it playing multiplayer and then ignored it until yesterday when it was broken. Looking at the Steam log(…?) of events it says that it has had a patch since then.
I agree. That was applied on Jan 8, and that fits my timeline as recapped here.

ZeroMeters

Cowpoke
I also want to note that I tried most of the common fixes found on this forum https://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/0/152393186481547794/
Sadly, the information here is a bit dated. The game uses OpenGL now. DirectX was used for anything pre 1.5.5, on Windows only :(

The weird thing about this is I'm playing on a Mac with older graphics than any of those: Nvidia 9400M. However I should get off my duff and try it on my (lol, newer) Intel HD 3000 Mac.

What? Ok you convinced me. Trying that now.

And Tom if you ever have problems with your 2012 Intel Integrated Graphics again, I have the latest (2019!) driver for it, though it's probably what you've tried already and that sketchy patch seems to have worked so hopefully that'll never happen!

Edit: Fresh install of Stardew Valley v1.5.6 go crashy-crash on my Intel HD 3000 Mac. I have the Compatibility mode installer on another Mac, I'll fetch that and try it out.
Edit 2: Compatibility mode version didn't work either. And that one's working on my older 9400M laptop. Weirdness.
Interestingly enough, I cannot seem to find anything in regards to Intel(R) HD 3000 on Mac OS. Never the less, it should be able to run OpenGL 3.1, so it shouldn't be crashing due to missing graphic context (unless the driver is bad). Can you provide a log? You should be able to produce one on Mac by running SDV from Terminal. No SMAPI needed iirc.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Interestingly enough, I cannot seem to find anything in regards to Intel(R) HD 3000 on Mac OS. Never the less, it should be able to run OpenGL 3.1, so it shouldn't be crashing due to missing graphic context (unless the driver is bad). Can you provide a log? You should be able to produce one on Mac by running SDV from Terminal. No SMAPI needed iirc.
I'll try this and see if I'm smart enough to wrangle a log outta this setup. BTW, all 2011 model year Macs with Integrated Graphics use Intel HD 3000, though the higher-end models also have an additional dGPU. Mine is the entry-level Mac Mini, so iGPU only.

St_Marlo

Greenhorn
If none of that helps (checking connections, updating drivers, compatibility mode), there's a sketchy driver that fixed my old computer with maxed out 2012 Intel HD driver issue at the end of this thread.
Update: This fix worked for me. Windows doesn’t like it so you will have to shut off your protections etc. but it did work.

realsovietseal

Newcomer
Hello! I was troublshooting this with my friend and came across this thread. If any of you are PC users and have graphics card I found my friend was using the Intergrated Graphics for their monitor which was creating the above described bug. I made them switch their HDMi to their graphics card and the game booted fine.