Issue [HELP] Smapi crashing on cutscenes and random locations. (Log attached) (Maybe my fault)

Dom5721

Newcomer
Hi guys/girls.

I hope someone can help, I downloaded mods and they have been working correctly.
I recently used the cheat menu and made everyones relationships full hearts.. Including the Expanded mod relationships..
Now, when i go into any area apart from the farm it seems that because theres that many cutscenes trying to go on, smapi goes insane and my game crashes.
I cant skip the cutscenes either as it just goes to black screen, when i do reload back in to stardew though, that cutscene has finished so i'm doing that currently.
I just wondered if theres anything on the script making it do this though as i'm not experienced with scripts/error logs etc.

Below is what smapi is saying over and over. Any suggestions appreciated! :happy:

File not found. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Error loading "Content\Characters\Ian.xnb". File not found.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
at StardewValley.LocalizedContentManager.LoadBase[T](String assetName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalizedContentManager.cs:line 180
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.RawLoad[T](String assetName, Boolean useCache) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\ContentManagers\BaseContentManager.cs:line 254
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.RawLoad[T](String assetName, LanguageCode language, Boolean useCache) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\ContentManagers\GameContentManager.cs:line 229
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.<>c__DisplayClass10_0`1.<Load>b__0() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\ContentManagers\GameContentManager.cs:line 104
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Utilities.ContextHash`1.Track[TResult](T key, Func`1 action) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\Utilities\ContextHash.cs:line 53
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.Load[T](String assetName, LanguageCode language, Boolean useCache) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\ContentManagers\GameContentManager.cs:line 100
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.Load[T](String assetName) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\ContentManagers\BaseContentManager.cs:line 102
at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite.loadTexture() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\AnimatedSprite.cs:line 163
at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite.UpdateSourceRect() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\AnimatedSprite.cs:line 512
at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite.faceDirection(Int32 direction) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\AnimatedSprite.cs:line 273
at StardewValley.Character.faceDirection(Int32 direction) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Character.cs:line 414
at StardewValley.Character.updateSlaveAnimation(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Character.cs:line 1316
at StardewValley.Character.update(GameTime time, GameLocation location, Int64 id, Boolean move) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Character.cs:line 1228
at StardewValley.Character.update(GameTime time, GameLocation location) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Character.cs:line 1162
at StardewValley.NPC.update(GameTime time, GameLocation location) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\NPC.cs:line 2944
at StardewValley.GameLocation.updateCharacters(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\GameLocation.cs:line 3311
at StardewValley.GameLocation.updateEvenIfFarmerIsntHere(GameTime time, Boolean ignoreWasUpdatedFlush) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Locations\GameLocation.cs:line 3342
at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateLocations(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 6267
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4747
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3872
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SGame.<>c__DisplayClass40_0.<Update>b__0() in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\SGame.cs:line 186
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate) in C:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 1020
[game] An error occurred in the base update loop: Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException:

Would you mind posting it in the log parser please? Thanks! I ask only because it gives versions for everything (SMAPI version, OS version, mod names and versions) plus code highlighting etc and makes it just generally nicer to view and see everything that's there, as well as potential conflicts. The log parser has instructions on how to upload a log there and provides a link to share here:

Given that this is likely related to a mod, can a forum moderator please consider moving this to the mod support section? Thanks! (Help & Bug Reports is usually for vanilla/non-mod-related game errors--don't worry though, no big deal, its easy for them to move stuff.) 🙂

You can also take a look here for some some mod tips on initial troubleshooting that might help (or if you've already been there you perhaps you can let us which steps you've already tried since this can sometimes help narrow things down a bit?):

Last edited:

Dom5721

Newcomer
Would you mind posting it in the log parser please? Thanks! I ask only because it gives versions for everything (SMAPI version, OS version, mod names and versions) plus code highlighting etc and makes it just generally nicer to view and see everything that's there, as well as potential conflicts. The log parser has instructions on how to upload a log there and provides a link to share here:

Given that this is likely related to a mod, can a forum moderator please consider moving this to the mod support section? Thanks! (Help & Bug Reports is usually for vanilla/non-mod-related game errors--don't worry though, no big deal, its easy for them to move stuff.) 🙂

You can also take a look here for some some mod tips on initial troubleshooting that might help (or if you've already been there you perhaps you can let us which steps you've already tried since this can sometimes help narrow things down a bit?):

Thanks for the reply, I will put it in a log now, sorry about that i'm new to forums. I will post the log soon under this

No worries, thanks for uploading. Yep, something is definitely wrong since it is not giving SMAPI or even Windows version, and it says no mods installed.

Can you please try working through the troubleshooting steps here, and then report back to confirm which you were able to complete? Thanks! Note: there's also some stuff on that page related to Microsoft.Xna.Framework errors, though the Common Fixes section is the first place to start.

Last edited:
After going through that troubleshooting resource and confirming each action taken, if you still have a problem, you can upload a new log for someone to look at. Updating SMAPI, the game, and all mods are steps in that list that do often resolves issues for many folks, though not always. After getting through those, and the Microsoft xna thing in there, please do update us on what you tried, and where you are now, or if still stuck (with a new log in the log parser) since this gets us a bit farther. Good luck! 🤞🍀

Last edited: