Solved [HELP] Old Save File Keeps Crashing During the Loading Screen

MeepTheAxolotl

Greenhorn
I went down the list of possible fixes like verifying integrity files, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and restarting my computer. It's only my old saved file that keeps crashing, any other game file I made recently load perfectly fine.

Error Log:
Message: Error loading "Characters\GuntherSilvian". File not found.
InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Error loading "Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb". File not found.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName)
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.<getLoadEnumerator>d__94.MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 1745
at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 6124
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4786
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3872
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1046
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 156

Last edited:
GuntherSilvian is from SDV Expanded. Which means you were playing with mods on that save which is why it won't load normally. Reinstall SMAPI & SDV Expanded(plus all the other requirements) if you wish to replay that file modded.

The save can also be edited to remove the custom mod data; in this case the NPC code. Possibly, a few more things. If you'd like help with that; you can upload your save here. And, I'll see what I can do.
Location info: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Finding_save_files

I've requested this thread to be moved out of the Help & Support (non-modded) forum, and into the Mod Support forum since this report involves a modded game and the issue is related to mods.

If playing with mods, players usually need to check or post in Mod Support forum first when running into problems, because more often than not problems are related to mods. The "please read" post(s) there contain awesome troubleshooting links and resources that often resolve issues and provide the info that MysticTempest did. These are very helpful for self troubleshooting if you don't get a reply right away here.

Good luck OP!

MeepTheAxolotl

Greenhorn
GuntherSilvian is from SDV Expanded. Which means you were playing with mods on that save which is why it won't load normally. Reinstall SMAPI & SDV Expanded(plus all the other requirements) if you wish to replay that file modded.

The save can also be edited to remove the custom mod data; in this case the NPC code. Possibly, a few more things. If you'd like help with that; you can upload your save here. And, I'll see what I can do.

Thank you so much, I would like to remove the mod data. Save file: https://files.catbox.moe/2agfjx

Thank you so much, I would like to remove the mod data. Save file: https://files.catbox.moe/2agfjx
Yea, no prob!
So here's the updated save. As far as I can tell; I only needed to remove 2 modded NPCs: 'GuntherSilvian' & 'MarlonFay'
Afterwards, the game loads just fine. I took a quick look around the farm's chests for any modded items, and tested saving the game with a backup copy.
And, it all appears fine.

But, let me know if you come across any other issues.

Attachments

MeepTheAxolotl

Greenhorn
Yea, no prob!
So here's the updated save. As far as I can tell; I only needed to remove 2 modded NPCs: 'GuntherSilvian' & 'MarlonFay'
Afterwards, the game loads just fine. I took a quick look around the farm's chests for any modded items, and tested saving the game with a backup copy.

Yea, no prob!

Everything is working. Once again thank you so much, really appreciate it :)

Sunshinegirlie

Greenhorn
Same problem here :( i hosted a farm for me and my girls and now we cannot play anymore because of deleted mods.
I really would like to remove the mod data. Can anybody help me please?

InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'G:\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb'.
File name: 'G:\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb'
at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
at System.IO.FileStream.CreateFileOpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.PlatformOpenStream(String safeName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\TitleContainer.Desktop.cs:line 29
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\TitleContainer.cs:line 37
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 276
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 1828
at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 6307
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4906
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3974
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1067
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 814
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 567
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\SDL\SDLGamePlatform.cs:line 91
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 481
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Last edited:
Same problem here :( i hosted a farm for me and my girls and now we cannot play anymore because of deleted mods.
I really would like to remove the mod data. Can anybody help me please?

InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'G:\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb'.
File name: 'G:\Valve\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb'
at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
Hey, sorry for the late reply; I've been sick this past week. I see you also created a new thread so I'll follow up with you there: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/need-help-old-save-state-in-danger.11763/

Emir3635

Newcomer

Hey i have the exactly same Error too. Can you help me with that custom mod data delete job? here is my save file..

Attachments