Issue HELP! Old save file crashing during load

worm

Newcomer
Can someone help revert my main save back to vanilla? I used mods a while ago (SVE) and its causing my game to crash when trying to load. I do not want to redownload mods

EDIT-
the crash log

EDIT 2 - It seems others have had the same issue and have had some help by deleting custom NPC instances but I have no idea how to do that on my own :(

InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb'.
File name: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Content\Characters\GuntherSilvian.xnb'
at System.IO.FileStream.ValidateFileHandle(SafeFileHandle fileHandle)
at System.IO.FileStream.CreateFileOpenHandle(FileMode mode, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.PlatformOpenStream(String safeName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\TitleContainer.Desktop.cs:line 29
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(String name) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\TitleContainer.cs:line 37
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(String assetName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Content\ContentManager.cs:line 276
Stack Trace: at StardewValley.SaveGame.getLoadEnumerator(String file)+MoveNext() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\SaveGame.cs:line 1828
at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateTitleScreen(GameTime time) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 6307
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 4906
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:line 3974
at StardewValley.GameRunner.Update(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:line 1067
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 814
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 567
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.SdlGamePlatform.RunLoop() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\SDL\SDLGamePlatform.cs:line 91
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 481
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Game Version: 1.5.6 Hotfix #3
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
In-game Date: fall 18 Y4 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: FarmHouse

Attachments

Last edited:
This happened to me on PC. To revert back to vanilla I made sure the game wasn't loading the mods.

I renamed the mods folder by putting a dot in front of the folder name like this ".Mods".

That way you don't have to delete anything or move any files.

If you are using Steam to load your game, this is a common file path where the Mods folder is located:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Mods

Looking at your crash log, it appears that a mod related to Gunther is making your save file crash.

If anyone else has any further or different insight please share.