Solved [HELP] My game won't launch

Mr.Coffee

Newcomer
I got the game on Steam a year ago and it has worked perfectly until a month or so ago. Now whenever I launch the game, nothing happens, and the game doesn't open. When looking in the error log folder for the game, I noticed that the problem seemed to be with loading the 'Data/CraftingRecepies'. I have since deleted the game and reinstalled it several times but the problem hasn't been fixed. If anyone has experienced this problem, how did you fix it?

Makabaer

Greenhorn
I came here because of the exact same problem.
The game worked fine until the update on July 2nd.
Since then I tried to re-install etc. - no use. I contacted support but got no reply (2 weeks now).

I will include the error text:
InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Failed to load XnaNative.dll. Please verify that you have the XNA Framework installed.
bei ImportXnaNativeMethod((fnptr)* method, SByte* methodName)
bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.NativeMethods.CreateDecompressionContext()
bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.DecompressStream..ctor(Stream baseStream, Int32 compressedTodo, Int32 decompressedTodo)
bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.PrepareStream(Stream input, String assetName, Int32& graphicsProfile)
Stack Trace: bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.PrepareStream(Stream input, String assetName, Int32& graphicsProfile)
bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Create(ContentManager contentManager, Stream input, String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
bei StardewValley.LocalizedContentManager.Load[T](String assetName, LanguageCode language) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalizedContentManager.cs:Zeile 259.
bei StardewValley.LocalizedContentManager.Load[T](String assetName) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalizedContentManager.cs:Zeile 185.
bei StardewValley.CraftingRecipe.InitShared() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\CraftingRecipe.cs:Zeile 33.
bei StardewValley.Game1.LoadContent() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:Zeile 2817.
bei StardewValley.GameRunner.LoadContent() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:Zeile 918.
bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize()
bei StardewValley.GameRunner.Initialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:Zeile 764.
bei Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
bei StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:Zeile 156.

Game Version: 1.5.4
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
In-game Date: spring 0 Y1 Time of Day: 600
Game Location: null

Does anyone know what I can do??

Makabaer

Greenhorn
What does that mean and how do I do that? I don't have any files besides those that get de- and re-installed by steam, where else can I get those files I need?
(I never used any additional downloads by the way.)

imnvs

Local Legend
What does that mean and how do I do that? I don't have any files besides those that get de- and re-installed by steam, where else can I get those files I need?
(I never used any additional downloads by the way.)
I'm not sure the exact process through Steam, as I purchased through GOG. However, elsewhere someone described the process as such: right click Stardew Valley, then under properties, under local files you will find verify integrity of game files.

Makabaer

Greenhorn
Oh, THAT! Sorry I didn't think of that right away, my Steam is German (it says "look for mistakes" in my Steam - if translated), but yes, I had done that, Steam says it checked succcessfully (=everything should be fine) - and then still doesn't load the game and gives the error above as a txt file.

Is there any official support I can turn to? I mean - it's broken because of the update, so they should be able to fix that... I wrote a mail to [email protected] 2 weeks ago (that's where Steam support pointed me to) but didn't get a reply. Is there anyone/anywhere else I can ask? This was the next place because these are the official forums, right?

Last edited:

Mr.Coffee

Newcomer
I've tried most fixes including verifying my game files and nothing seems to be working. Steam says my game files are perfectly fine but the game still won't launch.

imnvs

Local Legend
Is there any official support I can turn to? I mean - it's broken because of the update, so they should be able to fix that... I wrote a mail to [email protected] 2 weeks ago (that's where Steam support pointed me to) but didn't get a reply. Is there anyone/anywhere else I can ask? This was the next place because these are the official forums, right?
I've tried most fixes including verifying my game files and nothing seems to be working. Steam says my game files are perfectly fine but the game still won't launch.
Yes, this is the official forum. And I'm not sure who else you can ask besides posting here. The folks making/upkeeping this game absolutely do check this forum, though I'll warn you that they do not post all that much in response to issues even while working on the issues brought up here.

But yeah, I'm sorry, guys. I'm just another player trying to help troubleshoot, but it looks like you'll need someone with more technical expertise/knowledge.

Just jumping; in as I've seen this before[x]. (Thanks for the error log, Makabaer.)
Per the log; it's most likely a broken XNA installation. Y'all should try to reinstall XNA.

Code:
InnerException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Failed to load XnaNative.dll. Please verify that you have the XNA Framework installed.

Steam instructions:

If you go to your Library, then under the "Home Button"; click on the "Games" dropdown.
You can enable 'Tools'.

Once you enable that; scroll down your library list.
And, you should see one called: "Steamworks Common Redistributables"

Right-click on it; then go to 'Properites' -> 'Local Files' -> 'Browse'
This will open up the folder where Steam had downloaded the extra/necessary files for your installation.

And, where you can re-access various installers for XNA, directx, and the like.
Reinstall the XNA 4.0 version.

Makabaer

Greenhorn
Hi MysticTempest, I will try that and report back, thank you!

Edit: OMG it worked!! I'm so happy!! Thank you so much MysticTempest for your detailed help (instead of just saying "reinstall XNA", which would have left me clueless... wel, I guess I could have googled that at least but this way it was perfectly easy, thank you so so much!)

I'm off playing Stardew Valley again! Finally!! THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Hi MysticTempest, I will try that and report back, thank you!

Edit: OMG it worked!! I'm so happy!! Thank you so much MysticTempest for your detailed help (instead of just saying "reinstall XNA", which would have left me clueless... wel, I guess I could have googled that at least but this way it was perfectly easy, thank you so so much!)

I'm off playing Stardew Valley again! Finally!! THANK YOU!
Thanks so much, MysticTempest, the fix worked!
No prob; glad I could help! ^-^