Windows [HELP] Missing executable error

alliewarwick

Greenhorn
Recently Stardew Valley won't load and keeps coming up with the same error:

Steam - Error
An error occured while updating Stardew Valley (missing executable)

I have tried EVERYTHING suggested on the Steam website to fix this, but nothing is working!!!! Can anyone help me fix it PLEASE???? I JUST WANT TO PLAY MY EMOTIONAL SUPPORT GAME FFS

Lew Zealand

Helper
Unfortunately I don't know what Steam recommends on their website as I bought SDV from elsewhere but I assume you uninstalled Stardew Valley from Steam and then reinstalled it? One thing to try if you haven't already is uninstall Stardew Valley, then restart your PC (do not Shut Down and start it up again, instead specifically choose Restart) and then install Stardew Valley from Steam again.

One thing that has solved some peoples' problems is running Stardew Valley in Compatibility mode. There are notes here about that, I'll try to find them.
_____

Edit: This is what I found online:

In your Steam library, right click Stardew Valley
Select Properties
Click on the Betas tab
Click on the drop down menu, and select Compatibility
Your game should receive an update.
Try it again, hopefully it will start!

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, a little late but most of the time when you get the missing executable error, it just means that Steam doesn't see the .exe to start the game. This might happen because you might have played with mods earlier and changed your start preferences.

In case you haven't tried it yet (you said you tried everything but just double checking) right click Stardew Valley, go to Properties, and at the bottom of the window there's a window that looks like this
1645406242103.png

If there's text in it, remove it, then try starting your game again. It should work now!

If you haven't played with mods but you might've moved your game to a different hard drive or anything similar, you might need to change your launch options for that too

el_eel

Greenhorn
THANK YOU SO MUCH MAGICALLY CLUELESS!
I was trying to uninstall SMAPI, and accidently deleted the StardewModdingAPI.exe file and had no way to re-open the game, until I tried your method.
This really helped me, thanks again :).

Panini

Newcomer
Hi there, a little late but most of the time when you get the missing executable error, it just means that Steam doesn't see the .exe to start the game. This might happen because you might have played with mods earlier and changed your start preferences.

In case you haven't tried it yet (you said you tried everything but just double checking) right click Stardew Valley, go to Properties, and at the bottom of the window there's a window that looks like this
View attachment 8666

If there's text in it, remove it, then try starting your game again. It should work now!

If you haven't played with mods but you might've moved your game to a different hard drive or anything similar, you might need to change your launch options for that too

View attachment 8666

This post literally saved my LIFE OMG!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU A THOUSAND TIMES THANKS!

lilymoncat

Greenhorn

View attachment 8666

Over two years later, this information helped me get my reinstall running in time for 1.6! Thank you oh God/Goddess of Stardew help!

veryvanii

Greenhorn

View attachment 8666

THANK YOU SO MUCH I OWE YOU MY LIFE. THANK YOU THANK YOU.

tinymagics

Newcomer

View attachment 8666

literally just made an account on here to thank you, i haven't been able to play at all and have been devastated cause i wanted to play so bad. THANK YOU TIMES A MILLION!!! <3

View attachment 8666

This fixed the error for me, but now my mods won't load in. I know you said to change my launch options - how do I do that?