Help me catch a catfish!

NPop

Farmhand
Ok, so I'm a very casual player, but I have just one last thing to complete the community center and ARRRGH I just can't get a catfish! What am I doing wrong?
Fishing level 8
Using an iridium rod
Using regular bait
Have tried different tackle
Fishing in fall, on a rainy day, in the town River south of my farm
I go see Krobus every Wed and he never has one. I try the Traveling Cart, same thing.
Btw, in one day I caught: several Walleye, a gold level Tiger Trout, Bream, Shad, Chub AND Salmon!!
Seriously, what more does this game want from me?! 😭😭😭

Elenna101

Farmer
Is your issue not getting a catfish on the line, or not being able to successfully catch one? (I don't have any good advice either way beyond what you're doing, I'm just curious)

NPop

Farmhand
Is your issue not getting a catfish on the line, or not being able to successfully catch one? (I don't have any good advice either way beyond what you're doing, I'm just curious)
How would I know if I have one on the line? I'd say I have a retry high success rate of reeling something in whenever I get a hit.

Elenna101

Farmer
How would I know if I have one on the line? I'd say I have a retry high success rate of reeling something in whenever I get a hit.
It's noticably harder than the other fish you can get on the line in that location/season (tiger trout is also hard at low levels, but tiger trout moves in smaller jumps that should be less than the height of your bar at fishing 8, catfish moves in bigger jumps)

You're doing all the things. You should get one soon. I've usually caught one in front of Jodi's or in front of Leah's. Spring or fall rainy days before midnight.
They can also be caught rainy spring or fall days on the riverland, hilltop, and forest farms.
In the secret woods, you can catch a catfish spring, summer, and fall on rainy days. Even in winter with a rain totem!
There are catfish in the witch's swamp, but that opens after the community center is done, so that doesn't help you. I'm sorry!
The only thing I can think that may help is trash cans! You can get a trash can catfish on rainy days in spring or fall. Lucky days and luck buffs can help you find more things in the trash cans, and increase the chance for non-trash items.

NPop

Farmhand
I caught TWO!! Thank you all for the tips! I had to look up "buffs" and spent sunny days getting ingredients for a Lucky Lunch and practicing my fishing and BAM! Caught 2 catfish on the next rainy day!
And I have to say I really enjoyed the grand opening of the community center.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I caught TWO!! Thank you all for the tips! I had to look up "buffs" and spent sunny days getting ingredients for a Lucky Lunch and practicing my fishing and BAM! Caught 2 catfish on the next rainy day!
And I have to say I really enjoyed the grand opening of the community center.
The luck buff wouldn’t help you with reeling or catching the fish but I’m glad you were finally able to catch one, sometimes it’s just a bit of a drag waiting for stuff.

Elenna101

Farmer
Yeah, I don't think luck buff affects anything in this case. Congrats on getting it though! Sometimes the game just feels like being a dick and randomly not giving you one kind of fish.