PC [HELP] Mac local coop does not work

bronedek

Newcomer
I try to play local coop on my mac(on newest version of mac) and i got the cabins and everything and i can use my controller for other games, steam detects it but it just doesnt join no matter how many times i press the required buttton.

FreakyT

Farmhand
SteamInput-based controller support is broken on M1 Macs, so anything that requires it won't work until Valve gets their act together and fixes it.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/jwh4d0/are_dualshock_4_and_m1_macs_playing_nice/

As you note, there are some Steam games that will work with controllers on M1 Macs, but that's because they rolled their own controller support instead of relying on SteamInput. SteamInput (which is Steam's controller library) uses a kext-based controller driver, but kexts were deprecated in MacOS Bug Sur. If you have an Intel Mac it's possible to use a workaround to force the legacy kext driver to load, but M1 Macs have never supported kexts (and, even if they did, Rosetta wouldn't be able to translate something as low-level as a kernel extension).

bronedek

Newcomer
Thank you very much at least i know the reason and that the issue is not on my end i can only wait then and see if they will ever fix it.