Solved Help! It keeps saying to install smapi

Salice

Greenhorn
I've installed smapi about a million times now but it still won't let me download mods. Keeps saying I need to install smapi.

For background, I've had the game for a year. Had been playing happily with mods before the update. Downloaded the update. Now my characters who have mods won't save. It's not a big deal, but if I could get them back somehow I'd like to. So I noticed when opening all these error messages in red. They say a bunch of my mods need to be updated. So I went in to do that. And that's where I keep encountering the smapi problem. I've installed smapi correctly and gotten rid of the old one so many times. So I'm not sure what the problem is. Almost ready to uninstall every single mod and try to start from scratch. But I'm not the best at this and am afraid I'll damage my game.

Help, anyone? Thank you for reading.

Anhaga

Rancher
Are you using a mod installer like ModDrop or Nexus? I had some weirdness with my mods after 1.5 while trying to install only using ModDrop--I ended up having to install the newest SMAPI manually, delete all the old mod folders, and completely re-install the mods.

Allayna

Sodbuster
you wanna get your full log file, not just from the SMAPI window.
go to this folder, and copy contents of the file there into the log parser
%appdata%\StardewValley\ErrorLogs

Wingheart

Sodbuster
That looks like your SMAPI console was closed before it could finish loading mods - leave it open! Also, you don't need to keep the SMAPI installer, and from what I saw in the unparsed console text you also uploaded you probably need to update a lot of mods (a parsed log of a SMAPI session that finished loading mods will contain update links)

Salice

Greenhorn
It keeps saying smapi wasn't installed. I keep installing it. I guess I'll give up and play the old fashioned way lol

Allayna

Sodbuster
It keeps saying smapi wasn't installed. I keep installing it. I guess I'll give up and play the old fashioned way lol
can you show us where it says smapi wasnt installed? none of the logs say that

making sure, you're not talking about this are you?
8957DCFC-3783-4E3B-8AFA-B15E6537318A.jpeg

Last edited:

Salice

Greenhorn
Yes, that! I go to install the mod but it tells me to install Snapi first. How do you get past that window?

Salice

Greenhorn
I try it. But my window doesn't look like yours. It only has the SMAPI download in it. There's no mod in the box. Just smapi.

Salice

Greenhorn
I wish I could take a screenshot but I don't know how to do it on Windows. I was a Mac person for years and this new Windows system I have leaves me a little befuddled.

Salice

Greenhorn
OK, so I hit MANUAL to download Content Patcher. (It's one of like 8 mods I need to update.) So I hit MANUAL and a box comes up saying "Additional files required. This mod requires one or more additional files in order to work properly. Please ensure you have these files installed properly before attempting to use this file." And then SMAPI download link is there with an orange download box. That window covers the other window and there's noplace to click to just download the mod.

Am I putting smapi in the wrong place or something? It's like the system isn't seeing my smapi?

Allayna

Sodbuster
that orange download button like my screenshot? that is for the mod, not smapi
your smapi is fine, the website doesnt check for it, website just tells you that its needed to use the mod

Salice

Greenhorn
ok but it won't give me a link to download the mod. it only gives me a link to download smapi again.