PC [HELP] Game won't open eventhough XNA is installed

TheOtterGeneral

Greenhorn
Hi, I haven't played Stardew in a while but now i wanted to get back into it.
I tried to open in through steam but it wouldn't work and no crash reports nothing. Then I decided to install smapi to get the log why it doesnt work and this came up. I have installed and reinstalled XNA Framework multiple times but still get this error message:

Oops! SMAPI couldn't load the game executable. The technical details below may have more info.

Technical details: System.BadImageFormatException: Die Datei oder Assembly "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll" oder eine Abhängigkeit davon wurde nicht gefunden. ist keine zulässige Win32-Anwendung. (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x800700C1)
Dateiname: "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll"
bei System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMarkHandle stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName, ObjectHandleOnStack type)
bei System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)
bei System.RuntimeType.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
bei System.Type.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError)
bei StardewModdingAPI.Program.AssertGamePresent() in E:\source\_Stardew\SMAPI\src\SMAPI\Program.cs:Zeile 83.

Game has ended. Press any key to exit.

I would really love to play stardew during an upcoming event I am part of and this kinda messes everything up. Thank you so much for any help in advance^^

mouse

Farmer
These are weird. You can try a few things, in subjective order of ease:

1. (re)install XNA 4.0 (sorry, I swear I can read :P still.)
  2. try repairing files
  3. open the XNA dll (which may or may not be in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553 🙄 ) with Dependencies to try to see what specifically you are missing so we can get the right one in the right place.
I hope one of the first two (or something else) help, because #3 is kind of a pain in the ass unless you decide to just wing it and replace some system dlls (pleaaaaase only from someone you trust or a swap from your own files and not a random download from the internet, we'll go through it if we need to get there!) hoping that they are the problem. (The only ones I've read about are X3DAudio1_7.dll and msvcr100.dll.

TheOtterGeneral

Greenhorn
These are weird. You can try a few things, in subjective order of ease:

1. (re)install XNA 4.0 (sorry, I swear I can read :P still.)
  2. try repairing files
  3. open the XNA dll (which may or may not be in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553 🙄 ) with Dependencies to try to see what specifically you are missing so we can get the right one in the right place.
I hope one of the first two (or something else) help, because #3 is kind of a pain in the ass unless you decide to just wing it and replace some system dlls (pleaaaaase only from someone you trust or a swap from your own files and not a random download from the internet, we'll go through it if we need to get there!) hoping that they are the problem. (The only ones I've read about are X3DAudio1_7.dll and msvcr100.dll.
Kay tried to repair it, but still not working DX

mouse

Farmer
Alright, we can see if Dependencies can help.

1. Download it from this page. You can unzip it to wherever.
  2. Open DependenciesGUI.exe
  3. Use it to open Stardew Valley.exe
  4. Look for Microsoft.Xna.Framework in the list. (You probably have to drop down another Stardew Valley, first?)
  5. If you expand that that one, there should be a list of all the dlls Microsoft.Xna.Framework relies on. I'm not on Windows, but this looks like a screenshot of a working one.

If you find it, can you take a screenshot of that section and post it here?

mouse

Farmer
Okay, that's good, we have at least two files that look like an issue. That's at least progress :)

This might be fixable by reinstalling DirectX. (You may need to do an in-place upgrade.)
If it doesn't help, or you just want to attempt a different thing, you can try...

1a. Open C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553 and find X3DAudio1_7.dll.
1b. Open C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and find X3DAudio1_7.dll there, too.
2. Swap them. (Make sure you back them up/copy them out somewhere else first, so you don't just overwrite one and then can't replace other, hehe.)

3. Do the same thing for xinput1_3.dll.

4. Try reinstalling/repairing XNA again.

TheOtterGeneral

Greenhorn
How do you swap them out? Cause the one in the XNA Network doesn't exist for both of them. It says they are not present on this disk