PC [HELP] Game won’t launch after the update

Bonina

Greenhorn
Hi! I have been having issues launching the game after the update, and haven’t been able to fix it. The game doesn’t even begin to launch. I use windows 7 and had no previous issues. I have tried updating eveything except my windows version (I cant in my computer) and checking for corrupted files. I have tried some other random things but I don’t remember all of them. I have tried uninstallling and re-installing both stardew and steam. Can someone help me?

imnvs

Local Legend
Well, the behavior you describe... it leads me to suspect that you're using a 32 bit operating system. Do you know whether your system is 32 or 64? I ask because the game updated to 64 bit at 1.5.5. In the original thread CA said this:
ConcernedApe said:
Also, please be aware that 32-bit operating systems will not be able to run the new version. However, we plan on providing a "compatibility" branch to players which will continue to use 32-bit XNA and will be compatible with old operating systems.
...and I do not know if this compatibility branch is available (and if so how to utilize it) or just planned.

Bonina

Greenhorn
Well, the behavior you describe... it leads me to suspect that you're using a 32 bit operating system. Do you know whether your system is 32 or 64? I ask because the game updated to 64 bit at 1.5.5. In the original thread CA said this:

...and I do not know if this compatibility branch is available (and if so how to utilize it) or just planned.
Yup, it´s 64bit, I checked that too after reading about the update

Bonina

Greenhorn
Hi! I have been having issues launching the game after the update, and haven’t been able to fix it. The game doesn’t even begin to launch. I use windows 7 and had no previous issues. I have tried updating eveything except my windows version (I cant in my computer) and checking for corrupted files. I have tried some other random things but I don’t remember all of them. I have tried uninstallling and re-installing both stardew and steam. Can someone help me?
Update: I actually think the issue might be my graphics card, it´s a little bit below the minimun necessary. But idk, it used to run just fine and so did other games. I use INTEL MOBILE SERIE 4 EXPRESS.

Ayali

Greenhorn
I have a similar problem :( Although I use Win 10, and I had no problems so far. Only after the Smapi Update I think...Moddrop also had a problem to install it, but still was able to do it somehow, I think.
So.. I uninstalled the game, deleted smapi, reinstalled (also manually). And some other known things... Absolutely nothing is happening yet, the game is pretending to load for 2 seconds and that was it. ._. ...Ah! But once I was able to run it for a bit when I clicked on the basic StardewValley.exe file...?
I would be happy if I knew what to do... I haven't found a solution myself yet.

If, for any reason, you want to play on the “legacy” 32-bit version, it’s still available on Steam (right click Stardew > properties > betas > select “Compatibility” version
@Bonina

I saw you followed this instruction. Did it work? We need to make your thread as [solved] so that everyone can fix their issue similarly to yours.....

Last edited:

Ayali

Greenhorn
Alright. In my case I was able to fix it. :) (hopefully without any new issues later :D)
Removed smapi, reinstalled Stardew (I even deleted some saves, bc some would only make my game crash now. bye bye.) - the basic mod-free game without smapi worked fine. Then I reinstalled smapi with the auto-install in the smapi folder BUT, which I overlooked, I had to install .net 5 runtime/core (or something like that) for windows apparently. It was mentioned in the auto-install-file of smapi. It was successful and now I can launch it without any problems. I only need to update/fix/adapt some mods. So maaaaybe this could help someone. :>

You are 100% correct.
I have applied both @imnvs and @liquidcat 's ideas.
Despite there are many various technical issues, changing from 62 to 32 works!

TheLivingNick

Greenhorn
I'm having something similar happen since I tried to launch the game today. I am on 64-bit Windows 10 and am using the Steam version of the game. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling but it doesn't help. The game crashes quietly when it tries to load so there is no error message from it or Steam, but the the Windows Event Viewer reports these two errors every time I try and launch:
Faulting application name: Stardew Valley.exe, version: 1.3.37.0, time stamp: 0x609308e7
Faulting module name: SDL2.dll, version: 2.0.18.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000012ed10
Faulting process id: 0x2174
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7e8d2c9938a7e
Faulting application path: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\Stardew Valley.exe
Faulting module path: P:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley\SDL2.dll
Report Id: 3c43c16d-9dbd-42f3-b3c0-193c188f750f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Application: Stardew Valley.exe
CoreCLR Version: 5.0.721.25508
.NET Version: 5.0.7
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFE79E4ED10
EDIT: It will launch in compatibility mode, but given that I am on a 64-bit system that feels more like a workaround than a fix. Is there a downside to running the 32-bit version?

Calliope

Newcomer
I'm having something similar happen since I tried to launch the game today. I am on 64-bit Windows 10 and am using the Steam version of the game. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling but it doesn't help. The game crashes quietly when it tries to load so there is no error message from it or Steam, but the the Windows Event Viewer reports these two errors every time I try and launch:

EDIT: It will launch in compatibility mode, but given that I am on a 64-bit system that feels more like a workaround than a fix. Is there a downside to running the 32-bit version?
Yes you cant use mods