Solved [HELP] Game stuttering

Monacre

Newcomer
For my specific case, the game was lagging due to my controller being connected. I was using an xbox one controller over bluetooth and the game would lag to ~2 fps every few seconds. My fix was to turn on steam controller input and the lag went away completely.

sydmorrison

Newcomer
Guys! Had the same problem. Have some 50+ mods. Automate does it. And it does it for a very specific reason for me. I have a huge serene house mod. when you enter serene house it is in fact a foresty arbour where i have placed some several hundreds of crystalariums to farm diamond. Also, all of them were connected to a single crate for the Automate mod to deploy and sort it out. And appearantly, there was no space left for the diamonds to be deployed and to many crystalariums were showing that they are ready to be harvested. removing automate solved the problem, but simply creating space for those diamonds to be deployed by taking some diamonds from the crate or placing another crate and allowing automate to do its business solved the problem. I believe Automate was constantly trying to do its job for over a vast number of machineries and being unable to execute its job and that seriously lagged in every two seconds or smt.
Thus, it might be about automate, or there might be too many machineries that are ready to be harvested by automate but somehow unable to be so.

Last edited:

Chrono

Newcomer
Hey guys, I got it fixed.

On my Wife's computer, which is a real mish-mash of parts (AMD 8350 FX on a MSI 970, with a 3060Ti, older SSD and brand new PSU but ancient Case and older/used motherboard/CPU).
Fresh install of windows, only Steam, Stardew and a couple other games for testing on it.

All of the other suggestions helped in increments. It went from crashing/freezing to Stuttering bad.
Stuttering bad to stuttering a bit.
Stuttering a bit to only stuttering when I'm clearing out a large amount of crop(or fiber on a new farm).

One user suggested putting some code into the boot-up settings of Stardew, when going through steam(which I did do).
It all made a difference but I started to wonder if it's to do with compatibility issues- new Windows OS's have advanced, various visual settings you can set(For example, the toolbar on the bottom is see-through by default on W10). I didn't actually change the visual settings before I fixed it- it got me thinking:

Stardew isn't a demanding game, what if you just run it as/with earlier Windows versions?

TLDR:
---->Right click Stardew. Go to properties.
----> Go to compatibility.
---->Set to compatibility mode for Windows 8(If this doesn't work, you can try W7, or W10 if you're on W11, etc. etc.).

Done!

Other things I did:
- Set Power mode to performance(I've had strange issues with radically different games with this setting). Power-saving can often cause problems, and Balanced in rare cases do as well.
-Turned off Vsync(This has caused issues with previous windows/games combinations for me).
-Using the same method above, set Stardew to "Run as Administrator"(It's in the same menu, just lower down).
-Edit this post twice

This computer doesn't have an on-board that ConcernedApe mentioned could be turned off/on/Disabled, so I really think the issues lies somewhere in the realm of power/video/display adaptation.

Last edited:

Chrono

Newcomer
Hey guys, I got it fixed.

On my Wife's computer, which is a real mish-mash of parts (AMD 8350 FX on a MSI 970, with a 3060Ti, older SSD and brand new PSU but ancient Case and older/used motherboard/CPU).
Fresh install of windows, only Steam, Stardew and a couple other games for testing on it.

All of the other suggestions helped in increments. It went from crashing/freezing to Stuttering bad.
Stuttering bad to stuttering a bit.
Stuttering a bit to only stuttering when I'm clearing out a large amount of crop(or fiber on a new farm).

One user suggested putting some code into the boot-up settings of Stardew, when going through steam(which I did do).
It all made a difference but I started to wonder if it's to do with compatibility issues- new Windows OS's have advanced, various visual settings you can set(For example, the toolbar on the bottom is see-through by default on W10). I didn't actually change the visual settings before I fixed it- it got me thinking:

Stardew isn't a demanding game, what if you just run it as/with earlier Windows versions?

TLDR:
---->Right click Stardew. Go to properties.
----> Go to compatibility.
---->Set to compatibility mode for Windows 8(If this doesn't work, you can try W7, or W10 if you're on W11, etc. etc.).

Done!

Other things I did:
- Set Power mode to performance(I've had strange issues with radically different games with this setting). Power-saving can often cause problems, and Balanced in rare cases do as well.
-Turned off Vsync(This has caused issues with previous windows/games combinations for me).
-Using the same method above, set Stardew to "Run as Administrator"(It's in the same menu, just lower down).
-Edit this post twice

This computer doesn't have an on-board that ConcernedApe mentioned could be turned off/on/Disabled, so I really think the issues lies somewhere in the realm of power/video/display adaptation.

Updates.

Still having issues... Primarily on creating a new farm(er) on the main menu. I think I am having a legitimate piece of hardware fail on me, however, as opposed to a problem specifically with Stardew. We'll see!

Bonus:

For everyone who is similarly annoyed with having to bring up Task manager, worry no more:
Install CPU lasso, set the affinity/priority through it, and as long as it is running, you won't have to deal with it anymore.

Link: https://bitsum.com/