Mobile [HELP] game crashes immediately

isabellakling

Newcomer
i’m playing on a iphone 7+ and it’s fully updated

for the past couple days my app has been completely crashing when i try to open it. it used to just open to a black screen for a second then crash but now it opens to the secret police and chucklefish opening but still crashes immediately. the app does nothing else but crash. i have started my phone over and updated it but nothing has been working. i’m scared to delete the app because it will delete my save file and i absolutely don’t want that to happen. please help asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Odin

Staff member
Good instincts on not uninstalling, you'll first want to backup your save. You can find your save files with this wiki page, just copy each folder within the Stardew Valley folder to another location on your device. After that, you can reinstall the app and move your saves back :)

Ides3182

Farmhand
I am having the same problem. I am playing on an iPad Pro, iOS 13.4.1, and I am in year 3, but the game just stopped loading after I choose to load my file from the menu.The music plays, but the screen goes straight to black. I posted on the old forum before I even knew this one existed and there are strings of comments with the same issue on iPad. It’s not a minor glitch. It makes playing not even possible...which is a shame because I was loving this game. Any upcoming fixes?

edit: I will try the above suggestion on this iPad....even though the directions are for an iphone7+.

Ides3182

Farmhand
Good instincts on not uninstalling, you'll first want to backup your save. You can find your save files with this wiki page, just copy each folder within the Stardew Valley folder to another location on your device. After that, you can reinstall the app and move your saves back :)
I did this, but I am having issues with the iPad converting the data files to movie files, so when I drop the save back into the app folder, it won’t read it. I even renamed the files as .dat, but it is not fooling the system.

See, when I look at the info, theiPad is telling me it is a movie, but when I look at the dummy new file I created in the game, the info will read it as a data file. I don’t know why the game isn’t reading the old save files, but maybe it has something to do with this. I even went to my cloud and pulled the files to my Mac laptop desktop and it read the files as data files, so the files are the correct ones. Do you know how to get the app to recognize these files?

I would start a new game entirely, but I am afraid to run into this issue again in two months.
Sorry and thank you

Attachments

Last edited: