Switch [HELP] Fishing Rod w/ Bait

IvyDoodles

Newcomer
I have looked up videos and tried to put together how to make it work. I have tried with different fishing rods, using ones I found or bought. I suck at fishing so I have stayed with the training rod because its easier to use. I want to level up my fishing and get the Community Center Finish but I can't catch many fish without any bait. Or just getting trash.

This us what I do on my switch, I go into my inventory and select my bait and try to click on the rod. It won't do anything and I tried clicking other buttons. But it either swtiches back and forth between the rod and the bait or it doesn't do anything.

I don't know if I'm being dumb and just not doing it right or not using the right rod but I can't get bait on any of the rods I bought, or found.

If someone can please help or look into why I can't add bait it would help so much! Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ISSsloth

Farmer
On the fiberglass rod or better, there is a clear spot for bait when hovered over. I'm not sure how on switch, but on PC you right click the rod with the bait and it's equipped.

Ereo

Helper
You can't add bait to the training rod.

To the fiberglass rod, you can add bait. To the iridium rod, you can add bait and tackle.

Try fishing where the water bubbles, that kinda acts like bait so you'll have quicker catches even without bait.

levy

Farmhand
Hey there. I've been taking a break for a while but since the update launched I've been trying to get back into the game and I am encountering the same problem to the point where I wonder whether this is a bug that comes with the fishing rod itself (fiber in my case) or the newest update because I remember this clearly working when I first played last year.

A google search claimed the button to combine the bait with the fishing rod should be X which does nothing. A triggers the before-mentioned "switching". While the Fishing Rod is selected it is not possible to switch to a manual movement of the "mouse key" (usually done with the right joycon stick), the mouse-key is just "stuck" on the rod and will not select the empty slot for the bait. Changing the Gameplay setting to "enable 'mouse control' at all times" also doesn't help.

/edit: Addendum: bait strictly only refers to bait, not the gadgets, they occupy a different slot and the fiber-rod only support bait-only. So that was the issue, it's been a while xD

Last edited:

Savagerider

Tiller
I have a switch and a novice. I go to the first tab that shows what clothes you have. You hit the A button to select the bait, then hover over the fishing pole and hit Y. But, one must have the iridium rod. And I highly recommend. I had a horrible time fishing for a long time, and that rod really helped.

Potatoes

Farmer
I have a switch and a novice. I go to the first tab that shows what clothes you have. You hit the A button to select the bait, then hover over the fishing pole and hit Y. But, one must have the iridium rod. And I highly recommend. I had a horrible time fishing for a long time, and that rod really helped.
Different tackle can help make fishing easier too. You can also select in your inventory with A and put it on your rod with Y.