Switch [HELP] Controller not responding

pcma10019

Newcomer
I bought a digital copy of Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch only to find out that the controllers do not work. My controllers work perfectly fine with other games except Stardew Valley. Nintendo has no answer for it & I couldn't even return this product. I couldn't find any decent answer on any forums. I bought it for my kids only to find out we couldn't even play with it. The Nintendo Switch itself is new (4 months old). Every time we get the box to pick a tool, we get stuck on the pop up box & couldn't get out of it. Any suggestions, tips will be appreciated. My kids got so excited with the game only to be disappointed that they couldn't even play it.

kohlrak

Farmhand
I don't have a switch to test on (my gf does, but she has stardew for everything other than the switch). Is the music still playing and are things still going on in the background? If so, it might just be a matter of controls. I'm not sure which box you're referring to, so maybe there's an X at the top right corner of said box?

pcma10019

Newcomer
Yes there's a an X on the top right corner, but I can't get to it. Usually when i press B on the control, it gets me out . It works sometimes, but it freezes often on that same area. I can select from the options but, when I press it keeps opening the trash no matter what button I press. It's the box that has several tabs, including the map, tools, exit, etc

kohlrak

Farmhand
Yes there's a an X on the top right corner, but I can't get to it. Usually when i press B on the control, it gets me out . It works sometimes, but it freezes often on that same area. I can select from the options but, when I press it keeps opening the trash no matter what button I press. It's the box that has several tabs, including the map, tools, exit, etc
So the game actually freezes, and you can't move the cursor at all? When the game freezes, does the music stop? Is there a way you could record this?

pcma10019

Newcomer
Looks like I can't attach a video file here. I'm attaching a picture instead. It freezes at different times in the game and the only way to get out is by closing the game and restarting. I can move the pointer on the tabs on top, I can't move it to the 'x' on the top right corner. Usually clicking the X or B button on the controller get us out of this box when it's not frozen. My kids are really enjoying the game except thet get frustrated by these freezing spell..

Attachments

pcma10019

Newcomer
Has the developer, ConcernedApe, aware of bugs such as this? I wonder, if he has acknowleged any of the bugs that people report and actually addressed them.

kohlrak

Farmhand
Looks like I can't attach a video file here. I'm attaching a picture instead. It freezes at different times in the game and the only way to get out is by closing the game and restarting. I can move the pointer on the tabs on top, I can't move it to the 'x' on the top right corner. Usually clicking the X or B button on the controller get us out of this box when it's not frozen. My kids are really enjoying the game except thet get frustrated by these freezing spell..
Yeah. If you're afraid of uploading to youtube cause of their issues there, i could always provide an application for uploading the video. However, i'm not going to host for you, i'll just watch the video myself.

Has the developer, ConcernedApe, aware of bugs such as this? I wonder, if he has acknowleged any of the bugs that people report and actually addressed them.
He may or may not be. He's lurking here on the forums, so maybe, but i need to isolate the situation first. He needs it in reproduceable form before i can fix it.

Flicker

Have you tried exiting your inventory by pressing the same button you used to open it (which by default is the plus button)?

I also can't get the cursor to scroll to the X in the upper right, so that might be a more general bug/oversight. My Y button didn't do anything on the inventory tabs, either (I think Y in the inventory just picks up a single item from a stack). Otherwise, I couldn't replicate any of the other problems you were having, so I'm sorry I can't help you out with those.

pcma10019

Newcomer
B or the plus or X buttons takes me to this pop up box. To get out, pressing the same either of those two buttons exit me out & continue what I'm doing. Again, it freezes at different times in the game. There are times, that I or my kids can play for 15 mins before it does it. Thank you for checking though. It's just frustrating knowing that the switch is new & the game was just recently purchased & it hangs or freezes at times.

Flicker

I imagine you've probably thought of this already, but the only other advice I have is multiple variations on deleting and then re-downloading Stardew Valley. First, you can do this for just Stardew Valley, by archiving or deleting, neither of which removes your save data.

If those didn't fix the issue, the next option would probably be "Initialize Console Without Deleting Save Data." This keeps your account information and save data while removing basically everything else, so you'd have to re-download all your games.

The most drastic measure of all would be factory resetting your Switch, which deletes everything, and I think it's called Initialize Console. With a Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can do this while keeping all your save data in the cloud.

I suppose it's also possible that the save data itself is corrupted in some way, which would be a shame. If it's happening across multiple games, it seems unlikely to me. However, if absolutely nothing else above worked, there is an option to delete a game's save data, as well.

And now I'm completely out of advice. If none of that helps, I'd be amazed, confused, and sad.

kohlrak

Farmhand
Sorry, it's been a busy day. For the time being, and i noticed watching your video, you never tried using the touchscreen. While it shouldn't require touch-screen 'cause of potentially being docked, it's worth trying. Something seems odd about that box placement, too.