PC [HELP] controller "action" button behavior keeps changing

This is a weird one... because it will work as desired for a few days, then switch back to the undesired way for a few days, then back again.

When it's working correctly, I can hold down the X button as I walk down a crop and harvest it. Also when chopping a tree (or mining), I can hold X button and it chop, chop, chops the tree down.

But when it's not working correctly, the X button just does a single action when held down. The X button still "works", but I have to tap it (instead of holding) to harvest each individual plant. And have to tap it like 4-5 times to mine/cut trees.

It's honestly driving me crazy because while I prefer kb/mouse, I have carpel tunnel and need to take breaks, switching to the controller for a while, especially when harvesting, really helps.
Can anyone help me? TIA!

I have tried with two different controllers (xbox 360 and ps4) and they both display the behavior. I play other controller games, and have no weirdness at all with the X button. I have tried removing all mods and the problem still happens in vanilla.