Hello world

Hi, newbie to the forums here; a few years late to the Stardew Valley party here, but better late than never, right? :laugh: I'm 30 years old (I'm probably around Shane's age, lol). autistic, and if I'm not playing videogames, then I'm drawing (I actually drew my icon myself, it's a self-portrait). I'm loving Stardew Valley so far, it's a new favorite cozy game of mine. I play on PC via Steam, and I'm only on my first save so far. So in that context, I thought it was funny to name my first farm First Bloom, that name admittedly does look kind of nice whenever I see it mentioned the in-game dialog, though, so no regrets on that one. I'm only in year 3's Summer and I'm still 2 rooms off from completing the Community Center. And no spoilers: I've made it to the bottom of the mines, but haven't tried the new dungeon that you'd unlock there yet. So I clearly still have leagues of content ahead of me, and definitely think of an absolute noob when I say that I'm a newbie to both the game and the forums. :happy:

I did run into some issues when chasing some of my in-game goals, though, so I pretty much made this forum account to both talk about the game and maybe ask some questions that tons of noobs probably asked before. Due to my autism diagnose, some stuff in the game is just not as obvious to me as it would be to a neurotypical player. And sometimes, neither the wiki, Google or Youtube can give me a straight answer either. However, I know what both the game and wiki mention and don't mention is far from perfect; I mean, even some of the pro players on Youtube had to find out some pretty basic stuff later in their playthroughs, so I can't really feel THAT stupid about not knowing some stuff. I sometimes also can't tell whether I'm running into a bug that I need to work around or it's just me forgetting some stuff from the tutorial. So I figured that this forum would definitely be the place to either ask that stuff or lurk around for an answer. By the way, is there any forum-specific etiquette and/or commonly used shorthand that I should be aware of?

Odin

Staff member
Welcome to the forums Melanie!

Everyone plays the game at their own pace, so as long as you're having fun, I wouldn't worry about comparing your save to others. And it took me years to realize that you can just place new fences on top of decayed ones without needing to break the old ones first. I think the game is designed in a way that you discover things like that over time.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi MelanieScribbles and Welcome to the Forums! You have loads of fun left to enjoy in the game and asking questions here is always an experience in seeing the cool and fun variation of peoples' experiences in the game, especially seasoned players finding new things they've never seen before. I'm paprika, btw. When you get to the Island which will be coming up in your game in a bit, unless it happens to click in your head you may find it to be inscrutable, which I did. I leaned very heavily on the Wiki until I got the hang of what we were supposed to be doing there and even then it's a little odd. Have fun!

Welcome MelanieScribbles! I love the icon you drew. Can I ask how did you draw it? I've been wanting to get into drawing things like this.
Thanks for the kind words :happy: I drew this digitally, with a drawing tablet. I use the art program Krita for the sketch, lineart and colour; I kind of skipped out on shading this, since people probably couldn't even tell it's there at the size of a icon. And Krita is quite beginner-friendly compared to alternative programs like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. I honestly never could figure anything Adobe-related out; Adobe's general layout is probably easier to master for neurotypical artists, but neither program seems to vibe well with my autism diagnose... Trust me, tose programs are deceptively complicated; trust me, I've been trying to learn the basics of both for over 10 years, so I've kind of given up on them at this point :sweat: You also don't need a fancy Wacom drawing tablet like mine to do digital art; my first tablet was a really cheap one from the brand Trust (I only upgraded later, when I figured out that I wanted to get serious about digital art), Wacom has some cheaper options, and plenty of affordable brands out there. Drawing on good 'ol paper has its merits too, though; I'm always so impressed when someone can work with watercolour or acrylic paint really well. I'm so bad at any medium that involves a paintbrush, though. :laugh:

Thanks for the kind words :happy: I drew this digitally, with a drawing tablet. I use the art program Krita for the sketch, lineart and colour; I kind of skipped out on shading this, since people probably couldn't even tell it's there at the size of a icon. And Krita is quite beginner-friendly compared to alternative programs like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator. I honestly never could figure anything Adobe-related out; Adobe's general layout is probably easier to master for neurotypical artists, but neither program seems to vibe well with my autism diagnose... Trust me, tose programs are deceptively complicated; trust me, I've been trying to learn the basics of both for over 10 years, so I've kind of given up on them at this point :sweat: You also don't need a fancy Wacom drawing tablet like mine to do digital art; my first tablet was a really cheap one from the brand Trust (I only upgraded later, when I figured out that I wanted to get serious about digital art), Wacom has some cheaper options, and plenty of affordable brands out there. Drawing on good 'ol paper has its merits too, though; I'm always so impressed when someone can work with watercolour or acrylic paint really well. I'm so bad at any medium that involves a paintbrush, though. :laugh:
Thank you soooo much for giving me the details of how you create your art! I am so excited that I finally know how to create drawings like yours. I've been seeing them all the time on Instagram, I mainly follow gothic and halloween type accounts, and I really want to get into the same thing. I agree that Adobe is tricky - I've been trying to learn Illustrator it is not intuitive at all, and like you, I have autism, so I am glad to see your recommendation for a drawing program that's friendly to neurodiverse people :) Lol I'm not the best at paintbrushes either :) I wish I were. I have watercolour sets and all the brushes, and also all the beautiful watercolour pencils. But maybe digital is the thing to try now. Thank you again, you've been so helpful.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
[Original message removed]
You should post this in the main discussions area of the forum, not in someone’s introduction. It’s possibly a bug from 1.6 if your dog has well and truly dissapeared

Last edited by a moderator: