Hello from Finland!

Draconifors

Farmhand
Greetings! :smile:

I'm a gamer from a small, northern country, and I've been really playing Stardew Valley for about a week now. However, I have a lot of free time, so am getting close to 100 hours clocked on Steam. Many years ago I played the GOG version, but didn't get into it as much as I have now. So, I'm a (proud) owner of two copies of this fantastic game, both because I didn't mind paying a second time and because it was more convenient to simply get a copy on Steam rather than reinstall GOG Galaxy just for one game.

I joined the forums because I enjoy the calmer flow of discussion that forums offer over Discord, and because I like being part of more of the community. Not to mention I have very good and even literally life-changing (for the better) experiences from other forums, and have no doubt this will be a pleasant and wholesome community as well -- especially since the game is exactly those things.

I like everything about the game. Currently, a bunch of my chests are in dire need of organizing... but I enjoy even that.

There is a whole lot of stuff I haven't done or tried yet, because there is so much that keeps my days busy. Farming, animals, quests, befriending villagers, fishing (my favourite activity), mining, and so on.

In real life, I had horseback riding as a hobby for several years, but had to give it up due to distance when I started university. Horses are my favourite animal, and I greatly enjoy riding my newly acquired in-game horse. I named her Roach, which is a reference someone is likely to get. :cool:

In addition to video games, my hobbies include reading, watercolour painting, going on walks, puzzles (jigsaw, crossword, and most if not all other kinds) and geocaching. I have been reading since I was 6 or 7 years old, and plan to never stop being a bookworm.

PS. I noticed that this format uses the same platform as the forum I frequent the most. Which means mostly everything is familiar when it comes to how things work. Cool!

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

A fellow disorganized chest user. Really I try my best but it ends up the way it ends up and god knows why honestly

I hope you enjoy the forums! It definitely has its charms, said with full bias hehe. I was a big forum person for like, my whole life, and I got my start in the community in the old forums in 2016. I was very very happy to get to work at the new ones (gosh, I guess not new anymore... 2020 was a shockingly long time ago) and it fills me with a sense of nostalgia that no other platform can achieve

I'm glad you can engage in horseback riding a little bit in Stardew, it sounds like an amazing hobby. Horses are really fascinating fellas

Draconifors

Farmhand
A fellow disorganized chest user. Really I try my best but it ends up the way it ends up and god knows why honestly
My favourite excuse that is technically not even an excuse for disorder and disorganization is entropy. The universe is constantly heading towards a state of disorder, so why should chests in a videogame be any different. :cool: And, yes, I'm a science person.

I usually keep my containers organized, but then one day I need to quickly dump something in a container and "I'll sort it out later"...
In this case, I decided to move my farm buildings around after discovering it's possible, but my chests blocked me from having the buildings where I wanted them. My very full chests, and several of them. So, they had to move, which resulted in the beginning of disorganization. Instead of taking the time to sort them out the next day, I went questing or fishing or mining because that was more interesting, and it snowballed from there.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Quirinea

Farmer
The problem with chest is that you never can arrange it properly from the start, there's too little room (and cabin upgrades leave all items in silly places) and usually lack of wood.

And hello, another Finn!

(sorry, it'll take some tome before I get time to update the Finnish translation mod for 1.6. -- there seems to be quite a lot of new material...)

Draconifors

Farmhand
Welcome to the forums!
And hello, another Finn!
Thanks!

(sorry, it'll take some tome before I get time to update the Finnish translation mod for 1.6. -- there seems to be quite a lot of new material...)
With one exception, and that being a Finnish game that's actually fun in Finnish, I play all of my games in English. In general, I use English way more than Finnish, and English feels a lot more natural despite being a second language.

A long time ago, my brother and I tried, just for fun, the fourth Harry Potter game with Finnish dubbing. That was worse than horrible (but also hilarious in how bad it was), and the last time I ever tried Finnish localizations apart from that one (ice-fishing) game. There's something about the language that feels "stiff" when it comes to videogames, and I don't know why.

Quirinea

Farmer
A long time ago, my brother and I tried, just for fun, the fourth Harry Potter game with Finnish dubbing. That was worse than horrible (but also hilarious in how bad it was), and the last time I ever tried Finnish localizations apart from that one (ice-fishing) game. There's something about the language that feels "stiff" when it comes to videogames, and I don't know why.
One thing is that Finnish inflects (and the endings are not just glued to the end). And if there are slots where e.g. names are inserted, so they have to stay in nominative.
A simple example: "Give that to @" In Finnish: "Anna se @lle". OK works for Maru "Anna se Marulle" But "Anna se Sebastianille". Usually that isn't taken into account in the original...
Building sentences so, that it isn't unnatural and names etc. stay in nominative isn't so easy... "Maru omistaa sen, Anna se hänelle." could work in some context ("It belongs to Maru. Give it to her.")

Another thing is that I suspect that Finnish localisations may be hastily made.

(I work as a translator. Fiction books.)

Njin

Planter
hiya Draconifors..Organization is more of a late game thing I think at least for me it was. Finding the add to existing stacks tab was a game changer. welcome to the forum:)