Hello Everyone! We are Student Ethnographers Here!!

BKNYTAITT5

Greenhorn
Hey everyone! My team and I ( Mental-Llamaxx & amanuel5 ) introduced ourselves in the Introduction forum but would like to make everyone aware of our presence here as well. Basically, we are students conducting a research project and our goal is to observe this online community to understand what Stardew Valley means to players. If you are interested in being interviewed on why you love Stardew Valley, like this post or send us a message and please feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns!
*We have received consent from moderators for this project.

Also we created this thread to answer any questions you guys might have and to announce our presence for anyone that didn't read introductions. Feel free to ask questions here!

Hey all, we are still looking for people to interview for our project. If you are interested in sharing your experience with SDV and this community please reach out to us! These interviews are mandatory for our project so we would really appreciate your participation.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

kayden

Planter
i don't have much to do so i think i can do it.

where would the interview [is that how you phrase it??] happen

Hello again everyone! I'm posting some questions here that we received to clarify our project and hopefully seem less sketchy. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
  • Because you both made a different thread, does that mean you are working individually instead of as a team? If working individually, why?
    • We're working as a team! My name is Stephanie and my partners are Brandon (BKNYTAITT5) and Alex (amanuel5) :smile:
  • In what method or strategy are you applying to understand our SV community forum?
    • Just observing the threads to notice similar themes, and then we'll interview 4 people who are comfortable with participating. Our research question is 'What does SDV mean to its player base and what makes the game significant to them?'
  • What kind of bias are you concerned about facing during this research?
    • We really don't have any idea what we'll find! As ethnographers, we are immersing ourselves in the community and simply gathering as much information as we can to answer our research question. For personal bias, two of us (BKNYTAITT5) and I are completely new to the game, but (amanuel5) is an avid SDV player. This means she will have to forget everything she knows about the game to avoid any personal bias from affecting her research.
  • Some people may not be comfortable revealing their age. How will you deal with that?
    • We don't need anyone to reveal their age unless we are communicating to set up an interview. If they are not comfortable sharing their age then we will seek another participant.
  • Do you mind giving us the name of your professor and the classroom?
    • Our professor is Dr. Michael Lahey and the class is Ethnography for Designers. We're students at Kennesaw State University 🎓
  • When is your project due?
    • Our project is due December 12th as this is the last day of the Fall semester for us.
  • After you complete your study, will you share the information about us in this forum? –including the data, graph, and some interesting insights about us.
    • This project is strictly for the classroom so no information will be shared. Including on this forum, we will not share any personal information of a user with anyone from the community. We can, however, share the findings of our research such as the themes we noticed (again not specifying any individuals).
  • Why are you using this Forum and not other platforms such as Discord?
    • For this project we were allowed to choose any online community to research so we chose SDV (other teams are researching Pokemon servers, Disney fandoms, etc.). One other team in our class was also interested in the SDV community so they are currently researching a Discord server, that's why we chose this Forum.
Lastly, we will be letting everyone know once we finish this project/ leave this server!

i don't have much to do so i think i can do it.

where would the interview [is that how you phrase it??] happen
Hi thanks for your interest! The interview would be conducted via video OR audio using Discord or MS teams. You won't need to have the camera on except for the introduction so we may take a screenshot (with all of our cameras on) as proof for our professor.
During the interview two teammates will take notes while one of us asks the questions. Also, there are no wrong answers! We just want to know why you like SDV and your experience with it.

kayden

Planter
Hi thanks for your interest! The interview would be conducted via video OR audio using Discord or MS teams. You won't need to have the camera on except for the introduction so we may take a screenshot (with all of our cameras on) as proof for our professor.
During the interview two teammates will take notes while one of us asks the questions. Also, there are no wrong answers! We just want to know why you like SDV and your experience with it.
ahh okay then, i'm pretty free tomorrow if y'all are up for it :]

Sigrah

Farmer
Hey everyone! My team and I ( Mental-Llamaxx & amanuel5 ) introduced ourselves in the Introduction forum but would like to make everyone aware of our presence here as well. Basically, we are students conducting a research project and our goal is to observe this online community to understand what Stardew Valley means to players. If you are interested in being interviewed on why you love Stardew Valley, like this post or send us a message and please feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns!
*We have received consent from moderators for this project.
I’ll consent to an interview if you are willing to receive written answers as I do not have a mic for my computer.

imnvs

Local Legend
I’ll consent to an interview if you are willing to receive written answers as I do not have a mic for my computer.
From what they have told me, they have all 4 interviewees they were looking for, and have at least 1 alternate already too, though I'm sure they appreciate the offer if they need another alternate.

My interview is in the morning. (It's evening here in the US right now.)

Sigrah

Farmer
From what they have told me, they have all 4 interviewees they were looking for, and have at least 1 alternate already too, though I'm sure they appreciate the offer if they need another alternate.

My interview is in the morning. (It's evening here in the US right now.)
That's alright, just thought I'd offer. I don't get to come around as much as I used to, working in medicine has kept me quite busy unfortunately for my free time.

That's alright, just thought I'd offer. I don't get to come around as much as I used to, working in medicine has kept me quite busy unfortunately for my free time.
Yes as Imnvs said we have completed all the interviews necessary for our project but we really appreciate your interest in helping us out!! We hope to post more here sometime next week about our research findings.

And thank you so much to everyone that interviewed for us! Everyone has been so sweet and kind, and it's been very fun to hear about all of the different experiences people have with this game and what it means to them. We will update everyone on how our project turns out in the future! 🙏:smile: