Hello, Ethnographer here!!

BKNYTAITT5

Greenhorn
Hello everyone, my name is Brandon. I am a student at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA. I joined this forum along with two other students for a research project in our course Ethnography for Designers. The goal of our research is to observe this Stardew Valley online community to understand what the game means to players. Some of us have experience with the game, others do not, so we are excited to get to know the game and community! *We have received consent from moderators for this project. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out!

Welcome to the forum. I hope you get what you need here.

I noticed the same post and thread from @Mental-Llamaxx.
I am going to ask questions for both of you.

• Because you both made a different thread, does that mean you are working individually instead of as a team? If working individually, why?
  • In what method or strategy are you applying to understand our SV community forum?
  • What kind of bias are you concerned about facing during this research?
  • Some people may not be comfortable revealing their age. How will you deal with that?
  • Do you mind giving us the name of your professor and the classroom?
  • When is your project due?
  • After you complete your study, will you share the information about us in this forum? –including the data, graph, and some interesting insights about us.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
What's this about my sample size? Listen, I fit in this chair pretty well when I take a deep breath, you see? OK, so I took off the arms for comfort but that totally makes it a perfect chair right now. And I tried to convince my eye doc to get me qualitative lenses but with my diopters, I just can't buy those -2.00s off the shelf at the dollar store.

Of course Mom is still 118lbs and can split Mizar easily at 80yo.

I'm probably adopted.

BTW, BKNTTAITT5 & Mental-Llamaxx these are anecdotes, not data. Sry, I'll try better next time.

Welcome, Brandon!
Hello everyone, my name is Brandon. I am a student at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA. I joined this forum along with two other students for a research project in our course Ethnography for Designers. The goal of our research is to observe this Stardew Valley online community to understand what the game means to players. Some of us have experience with the game, others do not, so we are excited to get to know the game and community! *We have received consent from moderators for this project. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out!
Hmm... this sounds familiar with that other person.

Question, do you guys really have permission from the moderator to do the project? Since this looks a bit suspicious.

Anyway, sorry for my suspicion.

amanuel5

Farmhand
Hmmmmm. Might not wanna track me........kinda a disruptive presence
Hey, I'm a part of the group. It's okay, we're not tracking anyone. This is just for an ethnography project which we've honestly been procrastinating on lol. Our research question is: What does the game Stardew Valley mean to its player base, what makes the game significant to them?
All we're doing is observing the forum and next week we're doing interviews with anyone who wants to participate. I also play the game a lot :proud: it's my fav game
I hope no one else feels disturbed by us being here

amanuel5

Farmhand
Welcome, Brandon!

Hmm... this sounds familiar with that other person.

Question, do you guys really have permission from the moderator to do the project? Since this looks a bit suspicious.

Anyway, sorry for my suspicion.
It's okay, we got permission from Magically Clueless about a month ago.
We've just been procrastinating on the project tbh. It's a bit difficult because we have busy schedules

amanuel5

Farmhand
Welcome to the forum. I hope you get what you need here.

I noticed the same post and thread from @Mental-Llamaxx.
I am going to ask questions for both of you.

• Because you both made a different thread, does that mean you are working individually instead of as a team? If working individually, why?
  • In what method or strategy are you applying to understand our SV community forum?
  • What kind of bias are you concerned about facing during this research?
  • Some people may not be comfortable revealing their age. How will you deal with that?
  • Do you mind giving us the name of your professor and the classroom?
  • When is your project due?
  • After you complete your study, will you share the information about us in this forum? –including the data, graph, and some interesting insights about us.
1. We're working as a team
2. Just observing the threads to notice similar themes, and then we'll interview four people who are comfortable with participating
3. I'm not sure (sorry! maybe my other team members would be able to answer this question better)
4. We don't want anyone to reveal any info that they aren't comfortable revealing
5. Our prof is Dr. Michael Lahey and the class is Ethnography
6. It's due at the end of the semester, so in December
7. All the information we receive is solely for the project, so no sharing w/ outside sources

I hope this gave everyone more clarification!

toe

Sodbuster
good luck with the project amanuel! there’s also a very active discord server where a ton of people interact everyday if you’d like more data!

Reactions: Tom
Hello there! It's great to have you with us! Best of luck with the Design courses :smile: I'll be interested to see your input from a Design perspective in the future.