Hardwood.

How do I find more of it?
The stumps in the hidden forest only give me two pieces per stump per day, but you need lots of hard wood to level up your house, and build certain stuff.
Can I buy it somewhere? Is there a way to make it?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Can't buy it. Grinding the Hardwood stumps first on the Farm Map and then in the Secret Woods are your main options to start but once you get a Mahogany Seed you can just grow your own Hardwood as that's the purpose of these Trees. OK, also to look good. Additionally, the Forest Farm Map gives you many more stumps every day so it a great option for this, in addition to its Foraging item spawns.

Elenna101

Farmer
How do I get a Mahogany Seed? :)
They have a chance of dropping when you kill slimes in the secret woods or break stumps. Also once you have a fully-grown tree, it'll spread mahogany seeds, just like oak/maple/pine trees spread seeds (they might spread slower, I'm not sure). Also similar to oak/maple/pine, you have a chance of getting seeds once you chop the tree down, although the chance definitely seems smaller than for the other three trees - in my experience you average less than one mahogany seed per mahogany tree chopped, so if you want a bunch you have to wait for seeds to spread.

Tip: If you cut down the tree but leave the stump, it can still spread seeds. So you can get the hardwood and possibly seeds from chopping the tree, while still letting it spread more mahogany seeds.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Unfortunately, Mahogany Trees were only added in 1.5, so mobile players won't have them yet. :(

@Blurryface21, you play on mobile, correct?

Another thing to look forward to, though! Hopefully you'll have access to the 1.5 content soon!

But I don't really use Mahogany Trees all that much. Sure, they are an option, but they take soooo loooong to grow; I don't bother with them.

Maybe that's because the Secret Woods provides plenty of Hardwood; 12 per trip! You could collect the Hardwood needed to upgrade the house in 12.5 days if you had the cash. With extra forageables to boot!

And if you have the Forester Profession, then you get 18 per trip, because you get 3 per stump, rather than 2.

Plus, if you're a Lumberjack, then you'll get a chance that any old tree will drop Hardwood, no need for those fancy Mahogany Trees!

Lenora Rose

Farmer
And don't be like me in my first game;
if you think there are only 4 stumps in the Secret Woods, there's a lower section of the secret woods with 2 more stumps if you can find the paths hidden in the trees. And as you up your skill levels it will go from 2 pieces to 3 per stump, meaning 18 not 12 pieces per visit.

ValleyGirl

Tiller
I've got both Forester and Lumberjack professions, so I can get more hardwood from the secret woods and every tree I chop down I get a % of hardwood. At the moment I use the Wood Chipper to convert all my harwood to normal wood which I then turn into coal as I can't seem to find that much coal anymore.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I've got both Forester and Lumberjack professions, so I can get more hardwood from the secret woods and every tree I chop down I get a % of hardwood. At the moment I use the Wood Chipper to convert all my harwood to normal wood which I then turn into coal as I can't seem to find that much coal anymore.
If you've got the extra cash you can just buy coal from Clint

LRangerR

Local Legend
I did NOT know that! Will have to check that out - thanks for the tip!
Yeah, for the first year the prices are lower for both Robin and Clint, but on Spring 1 Year 2, prices for both of these shops gets a significant hike in prices, but as you should be earning more money, it should still be affordable.

Elenna101

Farmer
Monster musk and burglar ring are also both very helpful for getting lots of coal from dust sprites!