Gold mining tips?

hexnessie

Farmer
In any case, the deconstructor is an end game item, and at that point you will be swimming in cash anyway, so buying gold ore if needed isn't a financial problem
I wouldn't say so actually. I usually get access to it somewhere mid-year 2, having completed the CC either in the preceding year of in summer Y2 at the latest.

At that point, money is still tight on some saves. Right now I'm playing without any starfruit / ancient fruit for a change, so at the end of Y2 I still don't have the scepter, and only 500K gold in hand saved up for that purpose, but I have had access to the spoiler location for a long time now.

It might have been "endgame" back when it was initially introduced and people completed the quests with their already existing, endgame farms - but now it's just midgame content.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I wouldn't say so actually. I usually get access to it somewhere mid-year 2, having completed the CC either in the preceding year of in summer Y2 at the latest.

At that point, money is still tight on some saves. Right now I'm playing without any starfruit / ancient fruit for a change, so at the end of Y2 I still don't have the scepter, and only 500K gold in hand saved up for that purpose, but I have had access to the spoiler location for a long time now.

It might have been "endgame" back when it was initially introduced and people completed the quests with their already existing, endgame farms - but now it's just midgame content.
I don't agree about the money but would agree that it is mid game content, I have only really evver played one long 1.5 save and I got to the island halfway through winter of year one but sucked at finding walnuts and only got 100 at about summer year two which by that time I had about 7-8 million made and i just mined for ores.

Yeah, same for iron too, the only problems that arise are that money is much easier to come by than deconstructors, not too hard but annoying nonetheless.
You can also pump way more things through a singlle deconstructor and use hoppers to cincumnavigate the annoyance of putting in single tackles.
You also do only have a limited amount of tackles you can bu yat one time though which is a mild inconvenience.
There is a way around that which would let you speed load as many deconstructors as you like from Willy's shop, but... it's just monstrous. It can't possibly be justified by any cost / benefit analysis I can think of, except maybe like 10 years down the road on your farm.

In case it wasn't already obvious from the description, it's:
Put a Junimo chest in the shop near the counter (I believe to the right of the register on the 'customer' side should be safe), then have Junimo Chests behind hoppers behind deconstructors wherever. As you load the Treasure Hunters (or other tackles) in, the Hoppers *should* feed the contents to the Deconstructors. Then you just need to retrieve the output to reset the system. Note that for obvious reasons I've not tested this, I'm not even certain a Hopper will work with a Junimo chest, much less multiple. Still, if you had infinite or near infinite Qi gems, and if it works, it could be pretty cool.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
There is a way around that which would let you speed load as many deconstructors as you like from Willy's shop, but... it's just monstrous. It can't possibly be justified by any cost / benefit analysis I can think of, except maybe like 10 years down the road on your farm.

In case it wasn't already obvious from the description, it's:
Put a Junimo chest in the shop near the counter (I believe to the right of the register on the 'customer' side should be safe), then have Junimo Chests behind hoppers behind deconstructors wherever. As you load the Treasure Hunters (or other tackles) in, the Hoppers *should* feed the contents to the Deconstructors. Then you just need to retrieve the output to reset the system. Note that for obvious reasons I've not tested this, I'm not even certain a Hopper will work with a Junimo chest, much less multiple. Still, if you had infinite or near infinite Qi gems, and if it works, it could be pretty cool.
This doesn't work though lol, hoppers don't grab items from anything and whoever wrote that either hasn't ever tried that or plays with mods, it's the way hoppers work in minecraft, not stardew.
Anyone who has ever used hoppers in stardew wishes they were like that, then you coul dsett up chains of hoppers to fully automate anything, ever wondered why no-one has done that?

Yeah, I reread and they haven't used hoppers before and not only does it not work with junimo chest, it doesn't work with anything.

This doesn't work though lol, hoppers don't grab items and whoever wrote that either hasn't ever tried that or plays with mods, it's the way hoppers work in minecraft, not stardew.
Ah what a shame. For some reason I thought they would; I never use hoppers because even with that misconception they seemed wildly useless to me. At a point in the (somewhat) distant past I used the farm automation mod and the way that worked really should have eventually been baked into vanilla imho. Give us conveyor belts, and hoppers that pass items back and forth between chests and machines! Would've been cool if it worked though. :-(

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Ah what a shame. For some reason I thought they would; I never use hoppers because even with that misconception they seemed wildly useless to me. At a point in the (somewhat) distant past I used the farm automation mod and the way that worked really should have eventually been baked into vanilla imho. Give us conveyor belts, and hoppers that pass items back and forth between chests and machines! Would've been cool if it worked though. :-(
Yeah, I think CA feels as if this is too much automation because to could just have hoppers from junimo huts go into kegs into chests for example which is way too overpowered.

hexnessie

Farmer
The deconstructor route actually gave me an incentive to maybe finally replace my old quality sprinklers with deluxe ones. I was deferring the migration because all gold went into crystallariums, but I can actually break down each quality sprinkler and turn it back into deluxe without spending any gold!

@FilthyGorilla re the money being an issue -- it's precisely why I play this challenge (health nut = no wine, beer, ale, mead, sugary jellies of any kind) to be able to experience some other ways of making money. I'd never bothered with more than 20 crystallariums before, or more than a couple pigs. Now I want shedfuls of diamonds and a shade of jade, without spending money that is already tight without starfruitting!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
The deconstructor route actually gave me an incentive to maybe finally replace my old quality sprinklers with deluxe ones. I was deferring the migration because all gold went into crystallariums, but I can actually break down each quality sprinkler and turn it back into deluxe without spending any gold!

@FilthyGorilla re the money being an issue -- it's precisely why I play this challenge (health nut = no wine, beer, ale, mead, sugary jellies of any kind) to be able to experience some other ways of making money. I'd never bothered with more than 20 crystallariums before, or more than a couple pigs. Now I want shedfuls of diamonds and a shade of jade, without spending money that is already tight without starfruitting!
Yeah in this sort of playthrough you want pigs, pigs, pigs as they are the only good early game money maker that you can have.

Gotta respectfully disagree on this one. Since we’re certainly discussing late game considerations, let’s look at a shed of Crystalariums.

Money wise: if you buy the gold for them from Clint, that’s 750x25 = 18750 per. For 137 that’s 2,568,750. Using the bombs, it’s 250x25 = 6250 per, or 856,250 for the lot. A savings of 1.7 million. If you use the treasure hunters, that’s 2,500 per, or 342,500 for the lot, a savings of over 2.2 million, and more importantly a whopping 86%. For me at least, that’s certainly not chump change.

Time wise: 2 ways to look at this. From a smelting standpoint, since treasure hunters are pre smelted, you’re actually getting 10 hours of smelting in 1 hour of deconstructing. Relative quantities come into play of course but it’s certainly high efficiency. From a resource gathering standpoint, 250 gold per day seems like a fair assessment. For the 3425 total ore needed then, that’s 13.7 days of ore gathering replaced with 342,500 of expenses. If you can earn even just 25,000 a day elsewhere, it’s worth it.

Now certainly I’m not saying don’t gather or smelt ore. But from my perspective there’s no reason not to supplement with this. Just like furnaces I plan on sticking this at the top of the mines or elsewhere where I have easy access, and interacting with it when convenient. But from a “worth it” perspective, in a day I can gather 1500 to 2000 stone from the volcano and not even spend half the day. That’s 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 in avoided expenses. Compared to saving 25,000 in expenses by harvesting gold? I know which I’d prefer. I’m getting 10 deconstructors as soon as I get home tonight.
Sorry, but dealing with large numbers of deconstructors and treasure hunters is just super horrible, for so many reasons.

Tackle doesn't stack and each individual tackle takes up an inventory slot. So, you can only carry a maximum of 36 for each trip to Willy, and that in itself is a massive time loss, going somewhere you otherwise have no reason to visit.

It also makes loading them into machines a massive PITA because you can't just run along a line of them while holding a mouse button; you will need to manually switch to the next slot for each machine. You also need to reload them every hour. If you want to save on numbers of machines then this is another massive time sink compared to smelting furnaces, because you basically have to stand next to them all day to keep them going.

OTOH, if you don't want to babysit them all day, you have the additional infrastructure cost of all those deconstructors, even though you'll already have a suitable amount of furnace infrastructure, because you've been building them up since week one. If you're at the stage where you're new target is a shed of crystalariums, I'd say 50 furnaces is the bare minimum of a realistic number to have, but by this stage you're probably into triple figures tbh, because you've still got to smelt all the iridium you get from Skull Cavern. One load in the morning, and another load in the evening, with minimal interruption to the day, and your furnaces have provided enough gold for a minimum of least 20 Crystalariums, more likely 40+. And it's already sitting there just waiting for you to use.

Assuming that it only takes twice as long to load a deconstructor as it does for a furnace (which seems a lowball tbh), for similar output with deconstructors, you need

100+ deconstructors, which will cost you 2,000+ Qi gems, which is more time lost acquiring them
3 to 4 round trips to Willy's because of inventory constraints (that's the best part of another whole day gone right there)

Hoppers are virtually useless here, because you still have to unload the machine output manually, and although you save on clicks to load the deconstructors, you lose the same on clicks to load the hopper, as each tackle needs to be individually moved across to the hopper. But if you wanted a hopper for each machine, well, that'll be another 1,000 Qi gems (which is even more hours lost)

And as this is supposed to be a money thing, there's no point stretching it out over the course of a few weeks, with fewer machines, while you hunt Qi Gems, because for every day that you don't have your Crystalariums running, you're losing 195g in earnings per crystalarium per day, which adds up to a lost opportunity cost of around 27,000g per day across that whole shed.

With all the time losses that deconstructors incur, and the consequential opportunity cost of that, the argument for mass use of them just doesn't add up. They're kinda cool for casual play, but utterly impractical in industrial quantities

Virande

Farmhand
Actually, you don't need that much deconstructor...
For simplicity, you need 5h for smelting 1 gold bar... deconstructing tackle only took you 1h and you get 2 gold bar
Even with furnace, you still need some time to obtain the ore+coal (either you buy from clint or SC or any other method).

Im looking from the TS pov, which he need around 40ish crystalarium, and having problem obtaining gold ores...
So i think, having only like 5 deconstructors is enough, then buy around 25-30 tackle from willy... deconstruct the first 5, put a chest nearby, leave the remaining tackle and do something else... you can return like every 2 hours after doing something else, restart the machine for 5-6 batch a day. Then you have 50-60 gold bar in one day which is already enough to craft 10-12 crystalarium...
You just need to do it for any 4 days, and voila... you have your 40 crystalariums...

Sorry, but dealing with large numbers of deconstructors and treasure hunters is just super horrible, for so many reasons.

Tackle doesn't stack and each individual tackle takes up an inventory slot. So, you can only carry a maximum of 36 for each trip to Willy, and that in itself is a massive time loss, going somewhere you otherwise have no reason to visit.

It also makes loading them into machines a massive PITA because you can't just run along a line of them while holding a mouse button; you will need to manually switch to the next slot for each machine. You also need to reload them every hour. If you want to save on numbers of machines then this is another massive time sink compared to smelting furnaces, because you basically have to stand next to them all day to keep them going.

OTOH, if you don't want to babysit them all day, you have the additional infrastructure cost of all those deconstructors, even though you'll already have a suitable amount of furnace infrastructure, because you've been building them up since week one. If you're at the stage where you're new target is a shed of crystalariums, I'd say 50 furnaces is the bare minimum of a realistic number to have, but by this stage you're probably into triple figures tbh, because you've still got to smelt all the iridium you get from Skull Cavern. One load in the morning, and another load in the evening, with minimal interruption to the day, and your furnaces have provided enough gold for a minimum of least 20 Crystalariums, more likely 40+. And it's already sitting there just waiting for you to use.

Assuming that it only takes twice as long to load a deconstructor as it does for a furnace (which seems a lowball tbh), for similar output with deconstructors, you need

100+ deconstructors, which will cost you 2,000+ Qi gems, which is more time lost acquiring them
3 to 4 round trips to Willy's because of inventory constraints (that's the best part of another whole day gone right there)

Hoppers are virtually useless here, because you still have to unload the machine output manually, and although you save on clicks to load the deconstructors, you lose the same on clicks to load the hopper, as each tackle needs to be individually moved across to the hopper. But if you wanted a hopper for each machine, well, that'll be another 1,000 Qi gems (which is even more hours lost)

And as this is supposed to be a money thing, there's no point stretching it out over the course of a few weeks, with fewer machines, while you hunt Qi Gems, because for every day that you don't have your Crystalariums running, you're losing 195g in earnings per crystalarium per day, which adds up to a lost opportunity cost of around 27,000g per day across that whole shed.

With all the time losses that deconstructors incur, and the consequential opportunity cost of that, the argument for mass use of them just doesn't add up. They're kinda cool for casual play, but utterly impractical in industrial quantities
There's quite a bit we agree on. Certainly the fact that they do not stack is the biggest downside, and it results in several other downsides. The inability to "speed load", the difficulties carrying sizeable quantities out from Willy, the fact that 50 furnaces is a bare minimum, the fact that Hoppers are virtually useless. What we disagree on is just the relative worth of it all, and what it takes for it to be "worth it".

I got 11 of them set up currently. After all, this isn't a theoretical for me, I want more Crystalariums, and the only thing that held me back was an utter unwillingness to spend weeks in game farming gold or millions of hard earned cash on them. I want one more, I feel like 12 is a pretty good amount (since it's a row of inventory). At that point, loading those Once in a day saves 84,000 (7,000 per machine). As long as you are of the mindset that "a penny saved is a penny earned", even just that would make it the most profitable machines I have by more than a factor of 10. Loading them twice, or three times? At potentially over 200k saved, the "profit" just gets absolutely crazy. As far as time, yes it's annoying and time consuming. But loading 25 total gives as much gold as a whole Day spent farming for ore in the mines, and they're certainly not time consuming enough to load, to where it's anywhere near comparable on that end.

As far as it being worth waiting? Buying gold at 2.5 million for a 27k per day return it'll take 100 days to turn a profit, which is to say a year in game. If you take a month but reduce that to 500k in expenses then suddenly you're turning a profit before the 2 month mark, so I certainly think it's worth it. Of course that's assuming you're selling the contents, worth is always relative, and each of those Crystalariums I'm planning on having putting out Jade *could* be considered as being worth 10k per day each (as that's what it would cost buying stone for staircases instead). Certainly I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to spend the money and get them now. For me though it's *definitely* worth the wait, especially since I'm planning on farming up the stone anyway.

So here's what I set up:
1646877276932.png

I dropped off all my inventory in the purple chest other than the return scepter. Warp home, warp to the beach, go buy an inventory of them, warp home, warp to the desert, fill a box. Takes about half an hour in game, or thereabouts. Rinse and repeat to fill all the boxes, 3-4 hours spent. Subsequently, any time I'm transitioning between activities, I warp home, warp to the Desert, drop off my stuff in the purple chest, grab a row of treasure hunters from a box, and replace the existing contents. Grab my stuff back, and I'm on my way in 20 minutes, 22 bars of gold richer. If I do that 3x in a day, that's an hour spent for 60 bars of gold, more than I would've gotten from a full day in the mines. The reason why it's 6 boxes is because once I use all 6, replace the contents once, and use all 6 again (at current pace about 2 weeks in game) it'll be enough for a full shed. Total time investment roughly 20 hours of in game time and 420,000 in cost for 840 gold bars. For me, at the spot I'm at in the game, that's certainly worth it. Can't speak for anyone else of course but I'm entirely satisfied with doing it on a scale which, even if it's not "industrial", certainly stretches the definition of "casual".