Creator Response Games That Tell Stories

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
My favorite thing about board games is that they tell stories. If the game creates a magical moment that I get to share with my friends and family, either playing with them or telling them about it later, then that playthrough has done the thing that I love so much - created a special memory, a tale worth telling. I have heard a number of really fun stories of particular card combos or very close wins due to a last minute stroke of good luck or clever wits. My question to you is, do you have any awesome memorable moments from games of the Stardew Valley board game that you'd like to share?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
omg yes

Okay, so we did a 2 player game and we were going to try to do all of the bundles + all of grandpa's goals, and it was maybe the 2nd or 3rd time we played (I kinda forget) and we were just having AWFUL luck. Like GARBAGE luck. Joja tiles every new week, unlucky with fish and mining and we couldn't upgrade our tools until way after it was useful (but we needed it for grandpa's goals). We were inching forward with our bundles and we were nearly there, but we were in winter and it was looking pretty sweaty. We end up getting possibly the luckiest streak ever, we got to use our gifts and items to get a ton of progress in the mine and we had nearly everything. We ended up using an extra turn for mining when we could've used it to help get a building we needed, and that ended up being what cost us from winning by ONE TURN. We were SO close

Yoba has cursed us with the inability to see into the future

MalWyLyGabe

Greenhorn
Gaming Magic

When the kids came home to see the box on the table and the immediate reactions were heart tugging. They were acting as if Christmas had come again and begged me to start punching stuff out. The older one (7) grabbed the rules and the younger one (6) helped take pics and punchout. We will be playing this weekend, cause at the time it arrived we had lots to do before we could play. Schoolwork and real life stuff always in the way of fun. There are 4 in our family and of course we are already scheming for the role we want in the game. We have all this Sunday to play and I am quite sure the older one will be a rules expert by then. If he can read Minecraft books and chapter books, I am sure he will be the rules jockey on this one. Thanks again for all you did to bring this beautiful game to us all.

Those reading this or if you know someone who would appreciate it. I uploaded all my pics up to a google drive folder I can share to anyone who may need pics. I know some cards/tiles etc were not all pefect when assembled. Our copy was 100% and ready to play out of the box. Thats why I took pictures before we punched or unwrapped things. Just shoot me a message personally :) ..or reply here...

Farmer Tim and one very happy family :)

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
Gaming Magic

When the kids came home to see the box on the table and the immediate reactions were heart tugging. They were acting as if Christmas had come again and begged me to start punching stuff out. The older one (7) grabbed the rules and the younger one (6) helped take pics and punchout. We will be playing this weekend, cause at the time it arrived we had lots to do before we could play. Schoolwork and real life stuff always in the way of fun. There are 4 in our family and of course we are already scheming for the role we want in the game. We have all this Sunday to play and I am quite sure the older one will be a rules expert by then. If he can read Minecraft books and chapter books, I am sure he will be the rules jockey on this one. Thanks again for all you did to bring this beautiful game to us all.
What a wonderful story, I sincerely hope they have fun! I might recommend starting with the "easy" version of the game, called Seedling Mode, so the younger ones get a sense for how the game works. But that really depends on them, if you think they would enjoy the full version, then jump right in! :) You can also shorten the game (half as many season cards and then also only half as many goals / bundles required to win). A friend of mine played with her very young daughters that way and they really enjoyed it.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Gaming Magic

Those reading this or if you know someone who would appreciate it. I uploaded all my pics up to a google drive folder I can share to anyone who may need pics. I know some cards/tiles etc were not all pefect when assembled. Our copy was 100% and ready to play out of the box. Thats why I took pictures before we punched or unwrapped things. Just shoot me a message personally :) ..or reply here...

Farmer Tim and one very happy family :)
Feel free to post a few pics that you're comfortable with posting here. I'm sure the wider community would love to see them.

MalWyLyGabe

Greenhorn
What a wonderful story, I sincerely hope they have fun! I might recommend starting with the "easy" version of the game, called Seedling Mode, so the younger ones get a sense for how the game works. But that really depends on them, if you think they would enjoy the full version, then jump right in! :) You can also shorten the game (half as many season cards and then also only half as many goals / bundles required to win). A friend of mine played with her very young daughters that way and they really enjoyed it.

I would take it easy on them, except they out farm me in Carcassone everytime lol... one time it was luck they kicked my butt and then the next they purposely went for it. Not to mention they figured out how to take castles from other players in that game. They can be ruthless and I have not even taught them Catan yet haha.. We set aside all Sunday to play, so we will have a lot of tries to give the whole game a run. Everyone wants one shot at each role.

Thanks again... :)

Farmer Tim