Windows game keeps crashing mid session randomly

lil_moonpi

Newcomer
hi there,

made an account just for this report hoping maybe i can find a solution, i apologize if i do something wrong.
so the last few times i've played stardew valley has been juts in co-op/multiplayer, so i'm not entirely sure if that's the root of the problem or not, i have not played singleplayer at all in a while so i don't know i'd experience the problem there but yeah.
everytime i play, things will be fine for the most part. me and my friend will be doing separate things going about our farm day, when all of the sudden, seemingly randomly my game will freeze. i can still hear sound in my game for a second, and then all i'll hear is background noises like rain or fire crackling. i'll click my screen and the windows program message will pop up saying the program is unresponsive, no error codes or anything. so i'll be given the option to either close the game or wait for a response. of course it never starts working again and i end up just having to close it.

there's no discernable cause or pattern i can see really, other than that it usually happens a second or two after i enter a new area/screen or i preform an action of some sort. (harvesting a crop, collecting fish from a pond, etc.) i've tried verifying my steam files a few times, and my drivers are all up to date so i'm really stumped on what to do. it keeps interrupting my sessions with friends and we end up having to start days over a lot which can be pretty frustrating.

my game version is up to date, v1.5.6 Hotfix #3, my in-game language is english, and again i am only playing/experiencing this on multiplayer. i'm unsure if i would experience this solo though as i've not tried it.

sorry if this isn't specific enough or if the problem is unsolvable, i'm open to any suggestions or solutions. thank you! :D