Game crashing, smapi says error in base update loop

lainalovee

Greenhorn
My partner and I started playing co-op, he is on windows and I am on mac. We played fine (as far as we could tell) at first (one in-game day with no issues) then downloaded a few mods. After that, the game would crash on my end and totally freeze, and tell him I disconnected. When I checked the smapi terminal, this is what it says and repeats over and over:

[game] An error occurred in the base update loop: IOException: The file '/Users/myname/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS/StardewValley' already exists.
at System.IO.FileSystem.CreateDirectory(String fullPath)
at StardewValley.Program.WriteLog(LogType logType, String message, Boolean append)
at StardewValley.Multiplayer.LogDisconnect(DisconnectType disconnectType)
at StardewValley.Multiplayer.clientRemotelyDisconnected(DisconnectType disconnectType)
at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate) in SMAPI\Framework\SCore.cs:line 1125

I tried to find more info and I found this thread which sounds like my issue and has instructions for a solve, but I am unable to locate the file it's talking about. The first step of "hit command+shift+G" just searches for text on the webpage on my mac.

I tried playing single player mode and do not seem to be having issues. In multiplayer, it happened pretty quickly the two times we opened the game and I loaded in.

I hope someone is able to help. Thanks in advance!!

frandelor

Greenhorn
Hello, I am having the exact same problem with my girlfriend. Our current setup is: I am the host, on windows, and she is playing on a mac.

We were playing a modded version, and everything was going well. Out of nowhere, she's having a "Connection Failed" message when trying to rejoin the farm, and when quitting, SMAPI outputs the same message you posted.

Have you had any success in fixing this?

EDIT: Link to the error log she got.

Last edited:

lainalovee

Greenhorn
Hello, I am having the exact same problem with my girlfriend. Our current setup is: I am the host, on windows, and she is playing on a mac.

We were playing a modded version, and everything was going well. Out of nowhere, she's having a "Connection Failed" message when trying to rejoin the farm, and when quitting, SMAPI outputs the same message you posted.

Have you had any success in fixing this?

EDIT: Link to the error log she got.
Hi! I did change something and play tested through one in-game day with no issues. We haven't tried to play since, though, so I can't say for sure if it worked. But one in-game day was certainly not possible before! Please let me know if this works for you. :smile:

I went on Steam / My Library and then right-click on Stardew Valley. Under "Manage" you can click on "Browse Local Files".

When it opens the Stardew Valley file, it should show a "Contents" folder, but you don't need to click into this, just stay in the Stardew file that it opened you to. Click on the symbol that looks like "..." in a circle, and then "get Info".

In the Stardew Valley Info bar that opens, towards the bottom is "Sharing & Permissions". Change it so that ever single "Name" listed in the first column has "Read & Write" in the second column. (Also there is a lock on the bottom right, I had opened it and unlocked it, and then locked it after making the changes. I have no idea if this mattered or not but I wanted to include it just in case!)

Then open the game together and see if it helped. Please let me know how it goes!