Fruit tree transplanting

Which implementation for uprooting do you like the best?

• Total voters

lentil

Greenhorn
I see a lot of new players planting fruit trees in locations that won't allow it to grow. I was spurred on to post this after seeing a person on the stardew valley subreddit post the attached image. Since the tree is in an invalid location, it will get stuck at one of the earlier growth stages, and in real life it is possible to transplant small trees from one location to another. I feel like this would be a small quality of life update that newer players would greatly appreciate.

20230922_124753.jpg

My suggestion is to allow uprooting and transplanting of small fruit trees, maybe using a hoe on a small fruit tree will allow it to be transplanted, maybe there is a new 'uprooting shovel', or maybe you can pay Robin to move them, I would suggest the wizards catalogue, but I feel like that is a bit late game. I am having trouble deciding which implementation is this best, so feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

Njin

Planter
I think if its is in an invalid location it shouldn't sprout and you should be able to hoe it and get the sapling back, I think that'd be an easier fix .. I lost a few trees that way it is a pricey fail no doubt .. good idea though especially since them saplings have a tendency to go right next to where you want them to.. Best to turn on the tool hit notify and swap a tool out first to make sure you plant them where you want them, even then I don't think they'd always comply them saplings seem to go where they want to go .. Be nice if you could tapper them as well they could give you fruit juices:)

I see a lot of new players planting fruit trees in locations that won't allow it to grow. I was spurred on to post this after seeing a person on the starsew valley subreddit post the attached image. Since the tree is in an invalid location, it will get stuck at one of the earlier growth stages, and in real life it is possible to transplant small trees from one location to another. I feel like this would be a small quality of life update that newer players would greatly appreciate.

View attachment 17278

My suggestion is to allow uprooting and transplanting of small fruit trees, maybe using a hoe on a small fruit tree will allow it to be transplanted, maybe there is a new 'uprooting shovel', or maybe you can pay Robin to move them, I would suggest the wizards catalogue, but I feel like that is a bit late game. I am having trouble deciding which implementation is this best, so feedback is appreciated.
Personally I didn't have many such problems. But I would like to have more stories with/around the Wizard - so I like the idea to use the Wizard Catalogue.
The option could also be available early in the game or for a small price. Too late - when you are already growing ancient fruits - it doesn't make sense anymore.

Quirinea

Farmer
I think if its is in an invalid location it shouldn't sprout and you should be able to hoe it and get the sapling back, I think that'd be an easier fix .. I lost a few trees that way it is a pricey fail no doubt .. good idea though especially since them saplings have a tendency to go right next to where you want them to.. Best to turn on the tool hit notify and swap a tool out first to make sure you plant them where you want them, even then I don't think they'd always comply them saplings seem to go where they want to go .. Be nice if you could tapper them as well they could give you fruit juices:)
Actually the game should prevent you from planting a fruit tree in a spot where it cannot grow. (Should as in "should but doesn't"). When I answered this I was thinking of a tree that you later find is not optimally placed and wish to move (type Why I started orchard here which is a good place for a shed and not on that awkward-formed strip).