Friendship Point Decay - Just not greeting when seeing them?

RBM

Farmhand
I can find this nowhere. Everywhere says your friendship decays every day you do not greet them. But nowhere specifies if that means it decays if you SEE them and do not greet them or is you lose points even if you don't see them. Do you have to go out of your way to run around town greeting everyone every day in order to keep points up? This seems crazy. There isn't time enough in a Stardew day. And half the day most people are inacessible.

Hoping it means only losing points if you see them, but dont greet them.

Also, can you still lose points once you're at 8 hearts? I've gotten to 8 hearts with everyone on one of my games. But I did it rather quickly and never tested if it goes down.

Yvi

Sodbuster
Every day you don't say hi to someone, their friendship goes down very slightly. It doesn't matter if you've seen them or not. But saying hi or giving a gift gives them a comparitively large boost. So there is no need to say hello every day unless you're trying to very quickly raise friendship. The amount it goes down daily for not saying hi is very small (I don't know the exact number).

Once you have max friendship, it stops going down (unless you do something they hate, like hitting them with the slingshot). I think there is an exception for spouses though - even if you hit max, I think friendship will go down for spouses if you stop talking to them.

I tend to forget people exist for weeks at a time, and I've never seen someone drop more than 1 heart (or maybe 2 with the wizard because I definitely forget he's there).

If you don't talk to a villager one day, you only lose 2 friendship points. But talking to them gives 20 points, and loved gifts grants 80 points (more if it has quality stars).
So you can very easily offset any decay by having a few conversations per season, or giving a few loved gifts per year.

If you forget to visit the wizard all year, you'd lose about 240 points. But you could regain it all in one week by greeting him every day and bringing two loved gifts.

Another option, one that's easily doable for many Villagers:

A Gold Star Liked gift, not even a Loved one, on their Birthday is worth 2 full years of not talking to them so Talking is good but missing a chat for even a whole Season is not too detrimental.
^This. Villagers you pass naturally aren't an issue but for ones you'd need to go out of your way for? I just gift them a cooked dish or gold star liked item once a season and then track them down on their birthday with a loved gift. "Oh, you like Sweet Pea? Here's gold star one. See you on your birthday or when you post a want ad." Everyone loves my farmer far more quickly than I ever expect them to.

Bawby

Planter
And remember the character tab. Talking to them or giving them a gift will mark a box next to whoever received your kindness. Everyone else's suggestions here are better, but I suppose this way you would know for sure that no decay will happen!
Well, there are the hated gifts...

thatsmetttt

Farmhand
the UI Info Tools mod can help a lot!! it actually shows the decay and the gain
if youre using 1.6, then install UI Info Tools 2

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
You actually have to interact with them for it not to decay for that day.
Decay is super slow though, less than a single heart per year so gifting once every birthday keeps them topped up (and reaching 8 hearts for marriage candidates and 10 hearts for regular npcs completely stops friendship decay)
Boyfriend/girlfriend decays at a rate of 10 friendship per day and spouse at 20, the spouse friendship decay can’t be stopped either