Fishy Business

AtomsJosh

Planter
IMG_20210309_094856.png

As all you know I'm a Filipino, living in Philippines, and Tilapia is very common in here, and when I found Tilapia in Stardew Valley I felt more closer to this game, but there is something wrong, when I first caught it I was fishing in Ocean, I look to the Wiki and found this, says Tilapia can be found in ocean but I know it's wrong. Tilapia can be found in Rivers or Ponds not in ocean, they are not salt water fish more info in here. And in my experience I already caught Tilapia in Ponds from my cousin resort.

I'm not perfectionist, but it's something CA need to consider.

(All of my links are safe)
(Edit: sorry about my grammar)

Last edited:

nicodeux

Farmer
AtomsJosh said:
Tilapia is very common in here, and when I found Tilapia in Stardew Valley I felt more closer to this game
So true. I believe many of us players found in the game elements of their daily life they can connect to and this probably is one of the many reasons this game is so popular and successful.

I agree with your other point. There are a few fishes and some vegetables in-game that are out of place or out of season compared to the real object.

However, we have to remind that this is not a Nature or real Earth simulation but a game where balance and and player experience take an important place and can sometimes lead to unrealistic decisions for the sake of gameplay.

I don't know if Concerned Ape made these choices on purpose or not, but changing tialapia (and other things) to the right place/season can lead to extra changes in game balance that also need to be considered before taking such a decision. :smile:

AtomsJosh

Planter
However, we have to remind that this is not a Nature or real Earth simulation but a game where balance and and player experience take an important place and can sometimes lead to unrealistic decisions for the sake of gameplay.
You are also right! Says in Stardew wiki tilapia is one of the Ocean Bundle so changing it need to change the bundles too.

And you said also: "I don't know if Concerned Ape made these choices on purpose or not"

I did think about this in the first place and I think "not"
let's hear CA shall we? So we know the answer clearly. @ConcernedApe

I respect you ConcernedApe, and I am very sorry to Mentioning you in here, And thank you if you are reading this, it is my greatest honor, can you please say your own opinion in here please!

ConcernedApe

Creator & Developer
Staff member
So, I can't really remember if there was a specific reason I made tilapia an ocean fish (it was over 5 years ago that I put this in). If I had to guess, I'd say I probably just made a mistake. But as nicodeux pointed out, changing it now could cause balance issues (and maybe confusion to players who are used to things the way they are), so I probably won't change it.

Felipe Rossi

Greenhorn
Tilapia is a genus of fishes and also the common name of several different fish species. Some species of tilapias belong to other genus of fishes but are somewhat very similar to the fishes in the genus tilapia (fish phylogeny is messy). And yes, THERE ARE species that are very well adapted to brackish waters, so, nothing wrong with that!
:happy:

ArtifactSpot

Actually Tilapia in SDV can also be caught in the freshwater streams on Ginger Island. Though, yes it’s in the oceans on the mainland. Maybe this was his way of correcting it? ☺

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Tilapia is a genus of fishes and also the common name of several different fish species. Some species of tilapias belong to other genus of fishes but are somewhat very similar to the fishes in the genus tilapia (fish phylogeny is messy). And yes, THERE ARE species that are very well adapted to brackish waters, so, nothing wrong with that!
:happy:
Yeah, the species of tilapia I’ve grown to know are more suited to saltwater life.
But then all sorts of fantastical things happen in SDV so yeah..🤪
Yeah we have talking apples and magical buildings lol

Milemperio

Greenhorn
Tilapia can be found in Rivers or Ponds not in ocean, they are not salt water fish more info in here.
Hey Atomsjosh,
nice to hear that that made you feel closer to the game. As english isn't my mothertongue and I don't fish and know very little about fish it's different for me. But you made me curious about the species, so I clicked on your link! And as some already mentioned, Tilapia can live in Saltwater. It says so on the page you put a link to ;-)

Here is a passage from that wikipedia page (under Characteristics):
"Other than their temperature sensitivity, tilapia exist in or can adapt to a very wide range of conditions. An extreme example is the Salton Sea, where tilapia introduced when the water was merely brackish now live in salt concentrations so high that other marine fish cannot survive"

Crazy how some species can adapt to extreme environments ^^