Fishing on the ipad

Kerstin

Greenhorn
Hallo zusammen, ich hab da mal eine Frage. Ich spiele Stardew Valley auf dem iPad und bekomme nicht einen Fisch an die Angel. Ist das möglich dass das auf einem Pad schwerer bis gar nicht zu steuern geht? Hat da noch jemand Probleme? Hab mir schon etliche Videos angeschaut und versucht was zu finden, aber alle spielen mit Maus oder Joypad…. Bin ratlos und gefrustet 🙁

English-
Hi everyone, I have a question. I play Stardew Valley on the iPad and I don't get a fish on the line. Is it possible that this is harder or impossible to control on a pad? Does anyone else have problems? Have already watched several videos and tried to find something, but all play with mouse or joypad.... I'm at a loss and frustrated 🙁

Last edited by a moderator:

Hill Myna

Farmer
Google Translate said:
Hello everyone, I have a question. I'm playing Stardew Valley on iPad and I can't hook a fish. Is it possible that this is harder or impossible to control on a pad? Anyone else having problems? I've already looked at a number of videos and tried to find something, but they all play with a mouse or joypad.... I'm at a loss and frustrated 🙁
Hello Kerstin! A reminder to keep posts in English, as per the forum rules.

It's unclear to me whether you're having issues hooking the fish (starting the fishing minigame) or actually succeeding in the minigame.

If you're having troubles hooking the fish, then either you need to time your tap after the ! better, or you are experiencing a bug.

If you're having troubles succeeding in the minigame, then can I recommend purchasing the Training Rod from Willy?

I would also recommend fishing at the Mountain Lake (rather than the Beach), the Carp there are really easy to catch.

Hope this helps!

Kerstin

Greenhorn
Hello Kerstin! A reminder to keep posts in English, as per the forum rules.

It's unclear to me whether you're having issues hooking the fish (starting the fishing minigame) or actually succeeding in the minigame.

If you're having troubles hooking the fish, then either you need to time your tap after the ! better, or you are experiencing a bug.

If you're having troubles succeeding in the minigame, then can I recommend purchasing the Training Rod from Willy?

I would also recommend fishing at the Mountain Lake (rather than the Beach), the Carp there are really easy to catch.

Hope this helps!
Hi, thanks for the reply. I own the training rod. I can cast it and there is also a fish on the hook but I’m not able to control the green bar. So the fish are gone 😟

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'll try this tonight but I think I've been able to catch Fish on the iPad. Tap and hold on the screen to raise the green fishing bar and release to stop raising it, but the controls are more precise on a keyboard or Switch controller. However if you use a Switch controller wirelessly, there is a slight delay which can be offputting. I'll compare the Switch and iPad later today.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I'll try this tonight but I think I've been able to catch Fish on the iPad. Tap and hold on the screen to raise the green fishing bar and release to stop raising it, but the controls are more precise on a keyboard or Switch controller. However if you use a Switch controller wirelessly, there is a slight delay which can be offputting. I'll compare the Switch and iPad later today.
OK I tried Fishing on my iPad Mini 2 (a little older now) and it works similarly to other devices but instead of pressing a button or key to raise the green fishing bar, you just tap the screen. Tap and hold to raise quickly but since the mechanism is the same, really multiple little taps give you the most control. Tap anywhere you like on the screen, it doesn't need to be near the fishing bar itself, I usually just tap at the bottom of the screen as it's the most comfortable for me.

Responsiveness is as good or similar to Switch controller buttons or Mac/PC mouse, perhaps the very slightest bit delayed but then I Fish a lot and am sensitive to those differences. The Switch controllers running wirelessly have a notably larger lag.

I also noticed this delay on Steam with the mouse. Sometimes the reaction takes a few milliseconds until it's recognized,
I use the GOG version of SDV and use a mouse but don't notice any lag but maybe I'm just used to it!

I play on ipad and android phone. I had a hard time learning to catch fish, too. At first I couldn't get the minigame to start. You have to respond quickly to the exclamation mark, but not too fast.
Controlling the fishing bar takes a gentle touch. I would always do it too hard, so my bar would just smash to the top, crash to the bottom, and the fish escape. You have to go like, tap tap tap, longer tap, longer tap, TAP TAP, longer tap, tap tap tap. Gentle, barely touching it in soft rhythm.
There are a few ways to make it easier. At the mountain lake by the mine and the carpenter's house, you can catch carp. They stay at the bottom or move up very slowly. Sometimes you don't have to do anything, just let the bar rest at the bottom.
At Willy's shop on the beach dock, you can buy trout soup. There are also other foods that give fishing buff, like dish of the sea. Eating food with +fishing makes the bar a little bigger, which makes catching the fish easier.
And as you level up your fishing skill, it gets easier because the bar gets bigger. You level up even if you catch trash! You can use recycling machines for most trash, and you can drink joja cola or give it to Sam, Leah likes driftwood, and you can eat algae and seaweed. Catching trash is fine. So keep trying! The more you fish the easier it gets.

imnvs

Local Legend
I also noticed this delay on Steam with the mouse. Sometimes the reaction takes a few milliseconds until it's recognized,
You don't have to play while connected to Steam. You can load the game without loading the Steam client and that may fix the delay you're seeing.

CynthiaSV22

Newcomer
I play on ipad and android phone. I had a hard time learning to catch fish, too. At first I couldn't get the minigame to start. You have to respond quickly to the exclamation mark, but not too fast.
Controlling the fishing bar takes a gentle touch. I would always do it too hard, so my bar would just smash to the top, crash to the bottom, and the fish escape. You have to go like, tap tap tap, longer tap, longer tap, TAP TAP, longer tap, tap tap tap. Gentle, barely touching it in soft rhythm.
There are a few ways to make it easier. At the mountain lake by the mine and the carpenter's house, you can catch carp. They stay at the bottom or move up very slowly. Sometimes you don't have to do anything, just let the bar rest at the bottom.
At Willy's shop on the beach dock, you can buy trout soup. There are also other foods that give fishing buff, like dish of the sea. Eating food with +fishing makes the bar a little bigger, which makes catching the fish easier.
And as you level up your fishing skill, it gets easier because the bar gets bigger. You level up even if you catch trash! You can use recycling machines for most trash, and you can drink joja cola or give it to Sam, Leah likes driftwood, and you can eat algae and seaweed. Catching trash is fine. So keep trying! The more you fish the easier it gets.
I have a similar issue with fishing except my real problem is hooking the fish. When I tap when I get an exclamation, the hook just comes out of the water and I have to recast and start over. What’s the trick to hooking the fish? What do I tap, where and for how long?

Odin

Staff member
I have a similar issue with fishing except my real problem is hooking the fish. When I tap when I get an exclamation, the hook just comes out of the water and I have to recast and start over. What’s the trick to hooking the fish? What do I tap, where and for how long?
The main thing to focus on with fishing is to tap as soon as you see the ! or hear the sound that accompanies it. If the ! has faded from the screen by the time you tap, it's too late. If possible, I recommend listening for the sound and tapping based on that, I personally find it easier to react in time to the sound than the visual.

I believe where you need to tap depends on which controls you are using on mobile:
Tap-to-moveTap and hold over water to cast, tap anywhere as soon as you see the ! to hook a fish
Joystick/Invisible JoystickTap and hold the left button to cast, tap the same button when you see the ! to hook a fish. It seems like using "Invisible Joystick & 1 Button" creates an issue where you can't hold down to cast the line further, but there is no issue with catch. I would still recommend against that control setup for fishing, unless I was just missing an aspect of how it worked.

Maher

Sodbuster
The way I think about the fishing bar in iOS is like pulse width modulation. The longer the duty cycle, the higher the bar hangs in the column. No tap is 0%, Tap and hold is 100%. Because of the way the screen works it's simplest to say the higher your tap rate, the higher the bar hovers. Thinking about it like this meant that I caught Legend on the first rainy day of Spring 2 in my current save, and that was the last mainland fish I would need for Master Angler.