Fishing Help

Marie

Tiller
I really like this game, but I'm about ready to quit. I hate fishing in real life and now, in the game, I need it to finish the community center. I hate fishing even more in game. If I do catch a fish (which takes about 30 throws before I even get a hit) there is no way to figure out how to reel it in. This routine is just stupid and very frustrating. What the heck am I missing here? Do I just not get it??? Any help will be appreciated.

It took me a long time to get the hang of it. There is a timing to respond to the exclamation mark, not too fast and not too slow. When you get a hit, the goal is to keep the little green bar behind the fish. It is very touchy, just a little bit sends it all the way to the top, letting go slams it to the bottom. You gotta do like, taptaptap, taaap, taptap. Luckily it gets easier as you level up, and you level up even if you just catch trash, so just keep trying!

Lew Zealand

Helper
Everyone hates Fishing at the beginning before they get the hang of it. The people who don't are actively avoiding it so they haven't put the time in to fully understand the feeling. Don't worry, they'll hate it in time.

But then you kind of figure it out and it's very much exactly like PoppyForPenny said. Not long button presses. Instead light tap-tap-tap-tappity-taps. Like in this pic:

OK, maybe a little less excitable, but lotsa little taps.

Honestly, just go out and practice Fishing for a day or two but don't save those days, just quit/exit before the end of day. Once you're starting to get the hang of it, then play some real days.

Also, Fish in the Mountain Lake for Carp. They are among the easiest to catch and usually stay near the bottom. Yeah, you'll get the occasional uppity attitude Fish like the Sturgeon or Pike, but just let those go and start with the Carp. They're no good for you anyway, probably just leave you for another baited hook.

Hill Myna

Farmer
Have you bought the Training Rod? It is available from Willy for only 25G, and it makes your green bar 2-3x bigger! Hopefully that should help with the catching part.

30 throws before you get a hit? That's unusual. Try and fill the "casting bar" all the way, and face sideways if you can. Only pull the trigger after the "!". Sometimes you'll catch trash, that's OK, it still grants XP, and you can recycle it later down the line.

What season are you currently in? If it's not Winter, then try fishing at the Mountain Lake. Especially if you're casting close to the shore, you'll be hooking Carp ~50% of the time, which is the easiest fish to catch.

If it is Winter, well, then you'll have to go a bit further afield to the Secret Woods, so that you can catch the Carp there. Just watch out for the rain, because then Catfish show up, and they're really hard! Also, there is a small chance that you'll hook a Woodskip, which isn't the easiest. Even if it isn't Winter, if you can make the hike, the Secret Woods will be the best.

Other than that, I'll give you the encouragement that fishing gets a lot easier with practice and with (in-game and IRL) experience. The more fish you catch, the higher your Fishing Level will become, and your bar will get bigger.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Jayamos

Farmer
When I was first fishing I didn’t realize how long I had to wait before something would bite/clog up the line. I did a lot of unnecessary casting. Seconding the training rod, which made all the difference between total frustration and actually learning to fish.

I really like this game, but I'm about ready to quit. I hate fishing in real life and now, in the game, I need it to finish the community center. I hate fishing even more in game. If I do catch a fish (which takes about 30 throws before I even get a hit) there is no way to figure out how to reel it in. This routine is just stupid and very frustrating. What the heck am I missing here? Do I just not get it??? Any help will be appreciated.
I suck at fishing. I like it, but I suck at it. If you’re new to the game, I recommend buying a training rod from Willy. I think that they’re only 500G. If you’re not new, I guess you’ll just have to push through it. Maybe upgrade your poles, get some attachments, level up… that’s all I can really say. I hope you don’t quit! Sure, it can be difficult, but that’s all part of the fun, right?

Last edited:
I suck at fishing. I like it, but I suck at it. If you’re new to the game, I recommend buying a training rod from Willy. I think that they’re only 500G. If you’re not new, I guess you’ll just have to push through it. Maybe upgrade your poles, get some attachments, level up… that’s all I can really say. I hope you don’t quit! Sure, it can be difficult, but that’s all part of the fun, right?
Only 25g, actually!