Fishing help pleeeeeease

Jojo1

Greenhorn
I'm playing SDV on a Mac with everything up to date. Fishing with a trackpad was impossible (confirmation given by many users here) so I bought a Mac mouse yesterday with great hopes & expectations.....but it did't work. I've managed to accidentally play the mini game once or twice with the trackpad & I've succeeded in catching a couple of fish so I don't need help with that. But whenever the exclamation mark comes up, I don't know what to press on trackpad or mouse. I'm new to the game (late to the party) but really enjoying it....but I am desperate for help with fishing. Anyone????
Oh and geodes - I once managed to get one opened but now I can't even put it in the right place for Clint to crack it open. More help pretty please.

Odyssey

Tiller
Does pressing 'C' on your keyboard to use tools work on a mac? I've never used a mac but on a PC the 'C' and 'X' keys have the same effect as left and right click on a mouse, and when it comes to fishing I find it much easier to control the fishing bar using C than by clicking. If you do want to use the mouse though, left click should work.

At Clint's select 'open geodes', click on the type of geode you want to open and then (with the geode or stack of geodes selected) click on the anvil just above your inventory. If you have a stack of geodes to open you can only crack one when you have at least 2 spaces in your inventory: 1 for the rest of the stack to go back into and 1 for the contents of the geode.

If that explanation isn't clear enough, try going on YouTube and finding a video which includes someone opening geodes and you will hopefully see what I mean.

Jojo1

Greenhorn
Thanks loads for your reply, C just removed the rod from the water, X did nothing. Tried left & right clicking on the new Mac 'I-cost-a-bomb-and-do-f-all' mouse & neither of them worked either. I'm not in any way shape or form a gamer, I just wanted something to play while my other half was gaming but it's not going so well....

Odyssey

Tiller
Thanks loads for your reply, C just removed the rod from the water, X did nothing. Tried left & right clicking on the new Mac 'I-cost-a-bomb-and-do-f-all' mouse & neither of them worked either. I'm not in any way shape or form a gamer, I just wanted something to play while my other half was gaming but it's not going so well....
Did you press C (or click) quickly after the exclamation mark appeared? If you wait too long after the fish bites it gets away. If C removed the rod from the water I would expect it to also work to start the fishing mini game if you press it at the correct time.

I hope the geode cracking goes better than the fishing!

Jojo1

Greenhorn
Does pressing 'C' on your keyboard to use tools work on a mac? I've never used a mac but on a PC the 'C' and 'X' keys have the same effect as left and right click on a mouse, and when it comes to fishing I find it much easier to control the fishing bar using C than by clicking. If you do want to use the mouse though, left click should work.

At Clint's select 'open geodes', click on the type of geode you want to open and then (with the geode or stack of geodes selected) click on the anvil just above your inventory. If you have a stack of geodes to open you can only crack one when you have at least 2 spaces in your inventory: 1 for the rest of the stack to go back into and 1 for the contents of the geode.

If that explanation isn't clear enough, try going on YouTube and finding a video which includes someone opening geodes and you will hopefully see what I mean.
Geodes - worked perfectly thank you 🙌

Jojo1

Greenhorn
Did you press C (or click) quickly after the exclamation mark appeared? If you wait too long after the fish bites it gets away. If C removed the rod from the water I would expect it to also work to start the fishing mini game if you press it at the correct time.

I hope the geode cracking goes better than the fishing!
I will try C-ing more quickly, cheers

LRangerR

Local Legend
You can also customize what buttons it is set to somewhere in the game options. Default should be C, but its not a bad idea to check and make sure everythings where its supposed to be

Lew Zealand

Helper
Generally speaking touchpads and Apple's mouse with its touch-but-not-clicky button surface is a real pain to use for Fishing. I usually use a regular button mouse and 100% always forget to use the C key on the keyboard. That should work great!

Odyssey

Tiller
C ing quickly was better, now the darn fish keeps falling off the line 🙄
Try buying the training rod from Willy and using that until you gain some levels in fishing. The green bar you use to catch the fish gets slightly bigger each time you level up your fishing skill and the training rod sets the bar size equal to level 5, making it much easier to catch fish and progress in the skill.

The training rod restricts you to basic quality, low difficulty (and therefore low value) fish so it isn't a good choice for making money but is beneficial for gaining XP at low fishing levels.

Jojo1

Greenhorn
You can also customize what buttons it is set to somewhere in the game options. Default should be C, but its not a bad idea to check and make sure everythings where its supposed to be
cheers. I bought a mouse & that seems to be a BIT easier although I keep losing fish now... I'll get there in the end as I read it gets easier as time goes on. Hope that's true!

Jojo1

Greenhorn
Try buying the training rod from Willy and using that until you gain some levels in fishing. The green bar you use to catch the fish gets slightly bigger each time you level up your fishing skill and the training rod sets the bar size equal to level 5, making it much easier to catch fish and progress in the skill.

The training rod restricts you to basic quality, low difficulty (and therefore low value) fish so it isn't a good choice for making money but is beneficial for gaining XP at low fishing levels.
I think I had the idea about the green bar wrong, thought it had to be behind the fish but my daughter says the fish should be IN it, any thoughts?

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I think I had the idea about the green bar wrong, thought it had to be behind the fish but my daughter says the fish should be IN it, any thoughts?
Yes, your fish needs to stay inside the green bar in order for you to eventually catch it. That's why the training rod is so useful - it sets your bar to level 5 size.

Jojo1

Greenhorn
Generally speaking touchpads and Apple's mouse with its touch-but-not-clicky button surface is a real pain to use for Fishing. I usually use a regular button mouse and 100% always forget to use the C key on the keyboard. That should work great!
Cheers Lew, will give that a go too

bringdata

Farmhand
I need a mod also, for making fishing easier. I play on PC and on Kindle, but on PC would be great. I had downloaded a mod for this but it isn't working in release 1.6. Help!!