Favorite farm layouts

Slimeglasses

Farmhand
Hello! What are everyone's favorite farms, and why? (Standard, Riverland, Hill, Forest, Wilderness, etc.) I'm getting my friend into SDV and want to know which one you all recommend.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I fine Forest to be cozy and the lowered number of farmable tiles is in keeping with my farming minimalism. The Forageables that spawn there as well as early access to Hardwood ease the mild annoyance of those shortages early in game. Later in game the Stumps can be incorporated into Farm design, or removed and built over.

I very much enjoyed my time in my Beach farm and played to the v1.5 end of game (for me) there, I can always recommend it with the heavy caveat that if someone wants to start Farming near the house, you can't place Sprinklers there. There is a limited (~200 tile) Sprinkler area away from the house but that may annoy first time players. For this reason I think Beach is not an ideal first-time map.

I wonder whether new players should just play the Standard map first time around. No limitations, huge flexible areas, it's a bit monotonous but that's otherwise known as a blank canvas. Upon which to design your own creation.

Antsy

Tiller
I've played on all the maps and all of them have something to recommend them (even Riverland now that you get a fish smoker up front). Personally, I love Four Corners for single player. It makes it very easy to organize your crops, animals, fish ponds, etc. It has the same perks, on a smaller scale, as several other farms such as Hilltop and Forest. I'm also very fond of the Beach farm, which is a lovely farm with good fishing and neat foraging perks that gives you something of a challenge since you can't use sprinklers everywhere. Forest has fantastic foraging perks but is very small. And I have fallen in love with Meadowlands too. I do think for a first run-through, though, it's a good idea to do the Standard farm just to learn the basic basics without any special advantages. And because it's huge. It's a good place to discover how Stardew Valley works as a game and how to farm.

Draconifors

Farmer
Forest, Beach, and Meadowlands.

They have unique borders and the terrains are more interesting than on at least Standard (the most boring layout of them all) and Four Corners.

Forest is my top 1 favourite, because it's forest and I like forests. The extra forageables and hardwood are super useful, and although there is a lot of water and build-only area, it's got enough tillable soil for my needs -- and encourages more creative planning.

Beach is totally unique in it's being surrounded by ocean, and the supply crates, fishing, and forage are great, but the limited (and littered-with-hardwood) sprinkler area is, as intended, a big drawback.

Meadowlands is super pretty, and gives you a kickstart in animal husbandry, but the shape is a bit too irregular and the cave is rather far away.

riklaunim

Sodbuster
Hello! What are everyone's favorite farms, and why? (Standard, Riverland, Hill, Forest, Wilderness, etc.) I'm getting my friend into SDV and want to know which one you all recommend.
It depends what's the category - looks, money making, quality of life, multiplayer.

Forest Farm - respawning hardwood is good for foraging experience as well as crafting some stuff from hardwood. Plus forage spawns can help with Community Center if you go that route. With bonus wild seeds you can make more money first spring and then multiply from that and fishing.

Riverlands Farm - 1.6 added fish smoker which can greatly increase profits from fishing early on, and later on a large scale if you are into mass fishing. Tricky to build/plan on due to small size, yet enough even for rushing Joja in summer.

Beach farm - can't go mass quality sprinklers strategy, yet the sprinkler area is enough on start. Mostly focused around mass buildings farms, like animals, fish ponds but all of that require a lot of wood, stone, time, which will be a huge limiting factor. Can also be turned into a huge forest grid farm that has ever increasing count of mushroom logs and/or more and more green tea bushes (options for low maintenance farm, even better with Automation mod)

Wilderness farm - you can disable monster spawns to have slightly smaller than standard farm in an interesting shape. Not that exciting ;)

Meadows Farm - starts with 2 chickens and coop and better grass. Can be an option to skip mass farming, mass sprinklers. Slightly annoying is that Artisan is better than Rancher... Pushing chickens early on and then maybe something else - there are options for better profits or lower maintenance animals. Will require a lot of wood and stone...

Four Corners - multiplayer but also nice division for organizing, styling your farm. Has a mini quarry and more wild seeds than non-forest farms.

-------------------
And there are other farm maps provided by mods. Large or small, thematic or optimized. I really like small and ultrasmall maps as they are quite fun/silly and they can't get to complex/time consuming due to their smaller size.

Slimeglasses

Farmhand
It depends what's the category - looks, money making, quality of life, multiplayer.

Forest Farm - respawning hardwood is good for foraging experience as well as crafting some stuff from hardwood. Plus forage spawns can help with Community Center if you go that route. With bonus wild seeds you can make more money first spring and then multiply from that and fishing.

Riverlands Farm - 1.6 added fish smoker which can greatly increase profits from fishing early on, and later on a large scale if you are into mass fishing. Tricky to build/plan on due to small size, yet enough even for rushing Joja in summer.

Beach farm - can't go mass quality sprinklers strategy, yet the sprinkler area is enough on start. Mostly focused around mass buildings farms, like animals, fish ponds but all of that require a lot of wood, stone, time, which will be a huge limiting factor. Can also be turned into a huge forest grid farm that has ever increasing count of mushroom logs and/or more and more green tea bushes (options for low maintenance farm, even better with Automation mod)

Wilderness farm - you can disable monster spawns to have slightly smaller than standard farm in an interesting shape. Not that exciting ;)

Meadows Farm - starts with 2 chickens and coop and better grass. Can be an option to skip mass farming, mass sprinklers. Slightly annoying is that Artisan is better than Rancher... Pushing chickens early on and then maybe something else - there are options for better profits or lower maintenance animals. Will require a lot of wood and stone...

Four Corners - multiplayer but also nice division for organizing, styling your farm. Has a mini quarry and more wild seeds than non-forest farms.

-------------------
And there are other farm maps provided by mods. Large or small, thematic or optimized. I really like small and ultrasmall maps as they are quite fun/silly and they can't get to complex/time consuming due to their smaller size.
Thanks!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I play on a Switch, so I haven't been able to try Meadowlands out yet... 😥
I seriously can't wait though!
It's absolutely stunning, though definitely depends on the person, the planting areas are a bit of a pain if you want to utilize every available spot so you generally just have less plantable spots than you'd think

An actually fun gimmick too, though I guess that definitely does come with the maturing of the game and it fulling filling it's niche over its decade long evolution

Draconifors

Farmer
I can't get over how beautiful Meadowlands is. I started a new game, picked it, and it's now overtaken Forest as my #1 favourite.

I love the river, the waterfalls, and the forest areas. Plus the chickens, of course. I haven't even planted a single thing in the first week, because the map design doesn't encourage focusing on crops from the get-go, and it's a whole new sense of freedom.

riklaunim

Sodbuster
I can't get over how beautiful Meadowlands is. I started a new game, picked it, and it's now overtaken Forest as my #1 favourite.

I love the river, the waterfalls, and the forest areas. Plus the chickens, of course. I haven't even planted a single thing in the first week, because the map design doesn't encourage focusing on crops from the get-go, and it's a whole new sense of freedom.
I'm doing a comparison test run vs farming on it and early spring had zero crops, then I added some but with the limitation, it's not for profit through spring and summer. It's fun when you don't have to rush mines for sprinklers or water fields of strawberries :D Still, I need some kale to push to farming level 5 for that bonus and sell all stocked up mayo :D

And it will take a while to build so many coops:
stardew-planner-34-difficult-sheep-fought-easily.png

Sockpuppet

Planter
These days I only play Stardew Expanded, - (from the Wiki) - Grandpa's Farm is a new farm map included in Stardew Valley Expanded. This map expands the farm size substantially and incorporates features of multiple default Stardew Valley farms.

stardew_luv

Farmer
I'm doing a comparison test run vs farming on it and early spring had zero crops, then I added some but with the limitation, it's not for profit through spring and summer. It's fun when you don't have to rush mines for sprinklers or water fields of strawberries :D Still, I need some kale to push to farming level 5 for that bonus and sell all stocked up mayo :D

And it will take a while to build so many coops:
View attachment 25183
Ya think? 😂 How could you afford 28 deluxe coops, filled with 12 (chickens I’m assuming?) a piece and all that hay on no crops until summer? What on earth is in your greenhouse? And how did you get t so fast on just chickens? I believe you just jealous lol.😂

stardew_luv

Farmer
Is amazing how much money you can make now on beach farm with crab pots and fish smokers. And/or challenge bait in the southern pier and fish smokers. Plus 200 tiles is plenty of crop outdoor crop space, especially with greenhouse and ginger island. There is very quick grass respawning in lower right coast for animals, some forest and beach forage. You can cram lots of fish ponds at the top or if you want you can use the deluxe fertilizer (recipe from GI trader) which keeps crops watered even in sand once you water them once. Lasts a whole season outdoors and infinite in greenhouse. Also you can place two sheds right to the right of your house carefully placed one behind other for easy access to machines and chests. It truly is my favorite fam. Hands down.

stardew_luv

Farmer
These days I only play Stardew Expanded, - (from the Wiki) - Grandpa's Farm is a new farm map included in Stardew Valley Expanded. This map expands the farm size substantially and incorporates features of multiple default Stardew Valley farms.
Wait until you try the new frontier farm. It’s like a whole mini country! 😂

Hilltop for small farms.
Beach for big building projects.

I like the unique shapes and natural divided areas that both maps offer. Hilltop has the advantage of the mini quarry and the river makes for some decent fishing when your farmer gets home a little earlier than planned. Beach has awesome fishing, the best crab pot options, and you get the occasional goody washing up on shore.

Honorable mention to Wilderness. It has a great shape, a good amount of space, okay fishing, and a unique monster type.

riklaunim

Sodbuster
Ya think? 😂 How could you afford 28 deluxe coops, filled with 12 (chickens I’m assuming?) a piece and all that hay on no crops until summer? What on earth is in your greenhouse? And how did you get t so fast on just chickens? I believe you just jealous lol.😂
That's from planner where you can draw farms. After first spring I'm on 3 coops, two on second stage and one on first.

Hay usage will be low til winter and a silo does it job.