Issue Extremely Long Load Times/Not Responding/"API Loaded No"

queerdeerling

Greenhorn
(Cross posted from reddit because I haven't had any luck on the smapi forum.)

I started playing again after a year hiatus, removed all my mods and started from scratch to make sure they were all compatible with 1.6 I was playing without issue for a few days- load times approx 5 minutes, but that's to be expected when modding on an older machine. Once the game was booted up, it ran smooth with very short load times (less than 1 minute per load screen)

On 4/19, I started experiencing multiple issues. Load times started getting longer, 10-20 minutes, then my newest save files were corrupted. Tried the fix here (https://www.stardewvalley.net/missing-corrupt-save-file-troubleshooting-guide/) but nothing worked. I saw smapi released an update on 4/22, so I updated that, retried the corrupted save fix, and my load time was less than 2 minutes to get to the title screen. Approx 1 more min to load my previously corrupted file, fully working again.

I was beyond excited, thinking I had fixed the issue. Turned off my computer to go cook dinner, but when I booted it back up the same loading issues had worsened. It takes approx 20 minutes to get to the title screen, both new game and load game take 5-10 minutes after clicking, the create character page froze every time I made a change, and clicking next resulted in freezing and “not responding.” I gave up after 30 minutes and closed the game. No smapi errors because the game didn't crash, it just stopped responding. Here’s the log anyway:

https://smapi.io/log/c7122e9f7a204c00aefec2d82cc0149f

I decided to load a save file, one of the previously corrupted but now fixed ones, and just let it run. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes before it loaded the save file, and the game froze for 30-60 seconds every step I took. It didn't crash, I had to manually close it. Same thing as before, no smapi errors, identical log.

Here’s a list of everything I’ve done to try to fix the issue:
  • Triple checked system requirements- my laptop (windows 10) has 12gb ram- 11.9gb available, over 700gb unused storage, 64 bit, Intel HD graphics 4000, all drivers updated, multiple programs run to make sure the pc is working in peak condition. It is 10 years old but I've taken very good care of it.
  • Tested other games- dragon age origins and dragon age inquisition are loading and running smoothly. Both have extensive mods and took less than 5 minutes to boot up.
  • “Running the game on dedicated graphics card” I only have the one option, Intel HD graphics 4000. Under graphics settings I have stardewmoddingapi marked "high performance."
  • Restarted the computer multiple times.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the base game (twice).
  • Verified integrity of game files on steam.
  • Updated every mod, made sure they were all compatible with 1.6, removed any conflicting mods, uninstalled and reinstalled smapi 4.0.8.
  • Removed every mod except the ones that come with smapi- console commands and save backup, no change in loading times.
  • Ran the vanilla game without smapi, load times were similar, maybe a few minutes shorter to get to the title screen but still took 10-15 minutes both times I tried. Gave up after 30 minutes of trying to create a new save file.
  • Ran steam, smapi, and the vanilla game as an administrator.
  • Deleted startup preferences file.
  • Removed all save files (including backups), put them in a separate folder on my desktop) and booted up the game, just in case the save files were still corrupted and affecting things.
  • Steam and stardew are allowed to communicate through my firewall.

None of these things helped. The only thing I’ve tried that made a difference was trying compatibility mode for 32 bit computers (even tho I have 64), as a last ditch effort. It still took about 5 minutes to load the game but once I was in, it ran smoothly and each loading screen took 1-2 minutes.

If I had never been able to use mods, I would understand and accept this as my fate, but I have been using mods for years, and up until a few days ago it was without any difficulty. Nothing has changed about my computer or internet service. I've followed every tip and trouble shooting guide I found. I’m going crazy trying to figure this out, I just wanted to play my favorite game to relax and it's turned into a nightmare :heartbroken:

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions you might have!

(I was unsure if I should post in this forum (mod support) or another (help & bug reports non modded) because the issue exists regardless of mod usage. If we can't resolve the issue here I will post there as well, just didn't want to cause any problems by posting this multiple times)

Edit: Didn't notice this until I saw other people talking about it, but it does say "api loaded no" in my smapi program, but I can't find it in my log. The only solution I can find is deleting startup preferences, which I've done multiple times to no avail. So far I've found what seems to be 2 people who have experienced this issue as well with no resolution, link below.

Last edited: