Enchantment Question

Isa730

Rancher
Hello! I just enchanted my iridium axe and got the "Powerful" enchantment. The axe was able to chop down a tree in three hits and now...it can chop down a tree in three hits. Does "Powerful" actually do anything? On the Wiki it says: "Add 1 extra power level for pickaxe, 2 for axe." I have no idea what this power level thing is.

Elenna101

Farmer
The "power level" is the tool upgrade (i.e. copper/iron/gold/iridium axe). E.g. an iron axe with Powerful will act like an iridium axe.

You're probably now thinking "But my axe is already iridium, does this just do nothing, then?" Well... it doesn't do much. I think I remember it having some small impact (maybe on hardwood stumps or something?) but don't quote me on that. You should probably re-enchant it when you have a spare prismatic shard.

Incidentally, an iridium pickaxe takes 2 swings on Volcano rocks, while a powerful iridium pick takes 1 swing. So that enchant may actually be useful on an iridium pick, if you're running the Volcano a lot. But IMO it's pretty useless on an iridium axe.

Boo1972

Farmer
Yeah, for axe I’d go with swift. You might have to enchant it several times. I’d probably go with swift for the pickaxe too, but I think powerful is also worthwhile for the pickaxe. Now, the rest of the tools are really personal preference. But I do like master on my fishing rod.

imnvs

Local Legend
Yeah, for axe I’d go with swift.
I recommend "shaving" for the axe.
But I do like master on my fishing rod.
That is just about the only choice for the fishing rod unless you're lazy and cheap. Preserving so that you don't use up bait? Bait is cheap. Auto-hook? Just pay attention to the game you're playing. Efficient? You running out of energy, eat some food. Get the Master enchant.

hexnessie

Farmer
Yeah, I feel axe enchants aren't much useful overall, even the swift.

I wish there was an enchant that instantly replants the tree you just cut down provided you have the seed in your inventory and provided the tree was on a plantable plot. I hate replanting trees!

MissDandy

Farmer
I feel like there's definitely something to be said about which enchantments are most efficient and all that, but it also comes down to personal preference, which doesn't always mean using the 'best' enchantment available. I use swift for the axe myself, power for pickaxe and I didn't use Master on my rod until just recently, when before it was Auto-hook because I was feeling lazy and starting to always miss bites when I wasn't paying full attention. For the axe, I wouldn't use Shaving because I'm at the point where I really don't need any extra wood or anything.

Isa730

Rancher
Incidentally, an iridium pickaxe takes 2 swings on Volcano rocks, while a powerful iridium pick takes 1 swing. So that enchant may actually be useful on an iridium pick, if you're running the Volcano a lot.
Hey, thanks for the explanation! Sorry I haven't been online much this weekend but I really appreciate the responses. :smile: I might try to get Swift like Boo suggested; I actually have it on my Pickaxe and it's absolutely beautiful.

Sigrah

Farmer
My typical enchants:

Weapon: Crusader, I love how much damage it does to shadow creatures, ghosts, mummies, etc in hard mode, and especially love not having to use bombs to finish mummies off. It’s amazing how much cloth and solar essence you get between that enchant and wearing a burglars ring.

Pickaxe: Swift, because every other pickaxe enchantment doesn’t do much for me on an iridium pick.

Axe: Shaving, a little extra wood is always a good thing with how much of it I go through.

Hoe: If I haven’t completed the museum collection, Archeologist for any artifact spot stuff I need. If the museum collection is done, then I go with Reaching to plow land quicker, which is good for winter day 1 when you’re planting winter seeds.

Watering Can: Reaching by default, which is also good for planting winter seeds on Winter day 1.

Fishing Pole: Preserving, because longer lasting tackle and wild bait matters more to me than the other Fishing Pole enchants. I used to do Master, but my fishing time declines significantly starting in year 2, so it was basically a waste once I got a certain item that requires a Fishing skill of 15 to get.

Sigrah

Farmer
Powerful makes a big difference when grinding the volcano dungeon because 1 swing from the pickaxe breaks the rock and is still quicker than two from a swift pickaxe.
I know, but by the time I’m doing that in the volcano, I’m just using bombs anyways. It’s a great place to mine stone if you need it, I think every rock there drops at least 1 stone, typically more.

Your question has been covered pretty well. Just to give a different perspective here's the enchants I use:

Weapons I use several, Crusader is great but Haymaker is Very nice to have as an option.
Pickaxe: Powerful for the same reason imnvs mentioned.
Fishing Pole: Master. Bigger fishing bar, easier catches.
Watering Can: Bottomless, because I don't want to have to worry about refilling it and I like the way Bottomless looks.
Axe: Shaving. Especially if you save up a lot of trees, then switch to Forester / Lumberjack for a day, and chop them all down? The amount of wood and hardwood you get as a result just feels So nice. Plus who doesn't want an Axe which can be used for Shaving?
Hoe: Generous, for the increased clay drops.

I think there's several good options though. Honestly I've been tempted for a while now to build a cabin, have someone join, put their tools in a chest, so I can upgrade them all to Iridium and enchant them with different enchantments XD I wouldn't mind having a Swift Axe and Pickaxe, Preserving Fishing Pole, and Reaching Watering Can and Hoe as options to switch to when so inclined.

Isa730

Rancher
Woah sorry I haven't been online too much but Master especially sounds pretty great! I might try to go for that because I thought I'd really like Auto Hook since it's good for when you're fishing for presents but that larger fishing bar sounds nice...

imnvs

Local Legend
I know, but by the time I’m doing that in the volcano, I’m just using bombs anyways. It’s a great place to mine stone if you need it, I think every rock there drops at least 1 stone, typically more.
You know... thing is, sometimes it is inefficient to use a bomb. You just need that 1 rock broken? You're already right up on it and it would take even longer to back off and exploding slingshot it? All you have is a pile of bombs (not cherry)? Sometimes you're just better off hitting it with the pickaxe... and this happens more in the Volcano Dungeon than elsewhere, I think.