Elp

i wanna plant acorn, pine cone, and maple seed i dont know how many and where should i put it for tapper production. can anyone have a layout or suggestion where should i put it and how many acorn, pine cone, and maple seed should i plant. is it worth putting tappers in those trees for cooking making money and recipe for other product etc.

Cptldsilver

Planter
From a pure money making perspective, oak resin from tapping an oak tree is required to make kegs which are probably the best money making equipment in the game. The most efficient way to produce oak resin is to plant acorns outside the farm in either the desert or train station, put wild tree fertilizer on them, wait for them all to grow, tap them all at the same time, then harvest them all at the same time. You'll need foraging level 7 to get access to wild tree fertilizer. If you run out of fiber or stone, buy stone from Robin and trade it for fiber from the desert trader on Tuesdays.

Maple syrup and pine resin have their uses but from a money making view are not really worth to mass produce.

imnvs

Local Legend
How many of each type of tree you want tapped is completely up to what YOU need.

Maple Syrup, from maple trees is the most profitable syrup to sell... and is also needed for making bee houses and for cooking maple bars, but you don't need an infinite supply of bee houses and eventually you'll get better recipes than maple bars for buffs. Seriously, a +1 to 3 unrelated skills isn't that great. It may as well be a +1 to a skill... except that it can be used as a +1 to any of those 3 skills. It's not worth cooking except fairly early in the game. Early on this isn't super important, but useful, and later it becomes useful only to sell. Thankfully it is worth more than other syrups.

Pine Tar is cheap crap, not worth selling. It is useful, however, for making a few things. You'll want at least 1 loom, and maybe more depending on how many wool-producing critters you have. It's also used in making Speed-Gro which eventually becomes obsolete when you get access to Deluxe Speed-Gro. Finally , it's used in making rain totems, which you'll occasionally want at some time forever. Make sure to tap some, but this should be the tree you tap the fewest of.

Oak Resin? Now this is where the money is at. You need this for making the aforementioned Deluxe Speed-Gro, and you also need it for making kegs. Kegs is where you'll make real, actual, serious money in this game. You need this. You need a lot of this. I'd tap more of these than maples early on, but later, once I've made a huge pile of kegs? Yeah, I'll often tear down some and replace them with maples because I don't need any more kegs.

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
As a simple example of Cptldsilver said, I usually have 2-3x the number of Oak Resin tapped compared to Pine and Maple and I'm usually out of Oak Resin all the time until I get bored of making more Deluxe Speed-Gro and Kegs and tell Haley to do it for me. You can guess how well that works out.

But I usually end up with loads of Maple Syrup and Pine Tar laying about getting my feet sticky. Pine Tar is for regular Speed Gro but you'll only be using that for a short time in game. Maple Syrup is needed for Bee Houses which, by the time they become useful in-game, I am so far beyond caring what's going on in my Farm that they sound like too much effort. I can barely even remember that Ginger Island exists and that I have some Ancient Fruit planted there, the easiest crop in the game. So the chances that I'm gonna calculate what flower to grow each season, where the Houses should go, and God forbid hire a bunch of slothful apples from yet another antisocial Stardew Valley layabout to harvest them are akin to that sword from The Lego Movie.

Xact 0

DJModulo

Sodbuster
Slapping Tappers onto the few Pines along the path north of your farm will have you more than covered for life.

The same is true for tappers on the two Maples at the bus stop. Maybe expand to the Maples in Cindersap if you really want to up your beehive game or are going for the world record in maple bars sold.

As far as oak resin goes... the spa area filled to the brim with tapped oak trees might just do it, and if it's not enough you may just turn the desert green.

How many of each type of tree you want tapped is completely up to what YOU need.

Maple Syrup, from maple trees is the most profitable syrup to sell... and is also needed for making bee houses and for cooking maple bars, but you don't need an infinite supply of bee houses and eventually you'll get better recipes than maple bars for buffs. Seriously, a +1 to 3 unrelated skills isn't that great. It may as well be a +1 to a skill... except that it can be used as a +1 to any of those 3 skills. It's not worth cooking except fairly early in the game. Early on this isn't super important, but useful, and later it becomes useful only to sell. Thankfully it is worth more than other syrups.

Pine Tar is cheap crap, not worth selling. It is useful, however, for making a few things. You'll want at least 1 loom, and maybe more depending on how many wool-producing critters you have. It's also used in making Speed-Gro which eventually becomes obsolete when you get access to Deluxe Speed-Gro. Finally , it's used in making rain totems, which you'll occasionally want at some time forever. Make sure to tap some, but this should be the tree you tap the fewest of.

Oak Resin? Now this is where the money is at. You need this for making the aforementioned Deluxe Speed-Gro, and you also need it for making kegs. Kegs is where you'll make real, actual, serious money in this game. You need this. You need a lot of this. I'd tap more of these than maples early on, but later, once I've made a huge pile of kegs? Yeah, I'll often tear down some and replace them with maples because I don't need any more kegs.
thank you!

Slapping Tappers onto the few Pines along the path north of your farm will have you more than covered for life.

The same is true for tappers on the two Maples at the bus stop. Maybe expand to the Maples in Cindersap if you really want to up your beehive game or are going for the world record in maple bars sold.

As far as oak resin goes... the spa area filled to the brim with tapped oak trees might just do it, and if it's not enough you may just turn the desert green.
thank you!

As a simple example of Cptldsilver said, I usually have 2-3x the number of Oak Resin tapped compared to Pine and Maple and I'm usually out of Oak Resin all the time until I get bored of making more Deluxe Speed-Gro and Kegs and tell Haley to do it for me. You can guess how well that works out.

But I usually end up with loads of Maple Syrup and Pine Tar laying about getting my feet sticky. Pine Tar is for regular Speed Gro but you'll only be using that for a short time in game. Maple Syrup is needed for Bee Houses which, by the time they become useful in-game, I am so far beyond caring what's going on in my Farm that they sound like too much effort. I can barely even remember that Ginger Island exists and that I have some Ancient Fruit planted there, the easiest crop in the game. So the chances that I'm gonna calculate what flower to grow each season, where the Houses should go, and God forbid hire a bunch of slothful apples from yet another antisocial Stardew Valley layabout to harvest them are akin to that sword from The Lego Movie.

Xact 0
thank you!

From a pure money making perspective, oak resin from tapping an oak tree is required to make kegs which are probably the best money making equipment in the game. The most efficient way to produce oak resin is to plant acorns outside the farm in either the desert or train station, put wild tree fertilizer on them, wait for them all to grow, tap them all at the same time, then harvest them all at the same time. You'll need foraging level 7 to get access to wild tree fertilizer. If you run out of fiber or stone, buy stone from Robin and trade it for fiber from the desert trader on Tuesdays.

Maple syrup and pine resin have their uses but from a money making view are not really worth to mass produce.
thank you!

Worblehat

Planter
Why is this in the Guides forum? If a moderator sees this, perhaps the thread could move to General Discussion? @Magically Clueless @Odin

what flower to grow each season
If you put the beehives on Ginger Island, plant a Fairy Rose or two and let the bees do their thing, forever. 🐝

For what it's worth, my tapping was one of each fairly early on. I expanded the oak tapping up to nine during the keg build-up. Could have used more, maybe, but I'd have needed to start buying ore from Clint to keep up. Which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but I'm a very lazy farmer. 🙂

Once I was happy with my keg supply, I moved three tappers to maple trees, having learned of the Ginger Island trick from imnvs's Amethyst farm over in the Showcases subforum. 😀 Since then I've taken down a few more oak tappers and put them in storage, because I just don't want to deal with them anymore. (See: lazy farmer, above).

I've seen several people suggest tapping trees outside the farm. One can of course do that, but I'm not sure why one would bother. Maybe that's a method for highly motivated, energetic farmers who actually use most or all of the space on their farm? I think over 80% of my farm is covered in trees, so of course I'm just going to keep my tappers close to home.

Why is this in the Guides forum? If a moderator sees this, perhaps the thread could move to General Discussion? @Magically Clueless @Odin

If you put the beehives on Ginger Island, plant a Fairy Rose or two and let the bees do their thing, forever. 🐝

For what it's worth, my tapping was one of each fairly early on. I expanded the oak tapping up to nine during the keg build-up. Could have used more, maybe, but I'd have needed to start buying ore from Clint to keep up. Which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but I'm a very lazy farmer. 🙂

Once I was happy with my keg supply, I moved three tappers to maple trees, having learned of the Ginger Island trick from imnvs's Amethyst farm over in the Showcases subforum. 😀 Since then I've taken down a few more oak tappers and put them in storage, because I just don't want to deal with them anymore. (See: lazy farmer, above).

I've seen several people suggest tapping trees outside the farm. One can of course do that, but I'm not sure why one would bother. Maybe that's a method for highly motivated, energetic farmers who actually use most or all of the space on their farm? I think over 80% of my farm is covered in trees, so of course I'm just going to keep my tappers close to home.
thank you!

MissDandy

Farmer
I did plant a few of each tree on my (fairly unorganized) farm in rows for the purpose of always having the three available. The Oak resin and Maple Syrup proved to be the most profitable because I made kegs and bee hives with them. (Best game decision I've made so far!)
I planted all my trees on my farm mainly because I'm lazy and won't remember where I put the other tappers (with the exception of the Quarry). If you want to put tappers on trees outside the farm, it's probably a good idea to have a few on your farm that are on the same producing schedule so you won't forget about them like me lol.

I did plant a few of each tree on my (fairly unorganized) farm in rows for the purpose of always having the three available. The Oak resin and Maple Syrup proved to be the most profitable because I made kegs and bee hives with them. (Best game decision I've made so far!)
I planted all my trees on my farm mainly because I'm lazy and won't remember where I put the other tappers (with the exception of the Quarry). If you want to put tappers on trees outside the farm, it's probably a good idea to have a few on your farm that are on the same producing schedule so you won't forget about them like me lol.
Thank you!

Odin

Staff member
A bit late, but in addition to people sharing guides in this section, we also allow opened ended discussion topics. For example there are many different ways to create a tree farm in the game, so this thread is ok to have in this section. A question like "How many trees does the game have?" would not, since it has a definitive answer and doesn't allow for discussion of game strategy. I hope that distinction makes sense!

A bit late, but in addition to people sharing guides in this section, we also allow opened ended discussion topics. For example there are many different ways to create a tree farm in the game, so this thread is ok to have in this section. A question like "How many trees does the game have?" would not, since it has a definitive answer and doesn't allow for discussion of game strategy. I hope that distinction makes sense!
Thank you!

A few other noteworthy things:

- Trees can "share" the empty space they require to grow properly. So you can grow trees with only one space between them. Note this only applies to non-fruit trees. However, if you do that horizontally, you can't fit a horse between them. So to strike a balance between "as many trees as possible" and "easy to harvest" I like to do 1 space between trees vertically and 2 spaces between them horizontally, like this:

OXOOXOOXO
OOOOOOOOO
OXOOXOOXO

Where the trees are the X spots. Whatever you're harvesting, it's a good layout. As far as the "where", basically anywhere on the farm you want some trees for aesthetics or anywhere you don't have enough room to do something more interesting, the more trees the merrier, right?

- To prevent seeds spreading and clogging up your paths once your forest is complete and everything is as you want it, put down floor tiles. Seeds can land up to 3 tiles away so it takes putting them out pretty far to prevent them from ever popping up, but even just having them on the spots between the trees makes life a lot easier. Any floor tiles will do.

- Growing trees is also a fantastic source of wood. So certainly everything Imnvs and others have said is true (though there's plenty of room to debate kegs vs preserve jars), but don't forget you can also just grow a forest, cut it down, harvest the wood, and then rinse and repeat. If you're harvesting a forest of 100 or more trees (roughly), it's worth it to switch your skills over to forester and lumberjack before cutting it down, and then switch it back after.

- Regardless of your intent, it's great to use Tree Fertilizer when and where you can, though you need a LOT of fiber and stone to use it across a sizeable number of trees.

Good luck and enjoy!

Up at the Railroad/Spa, you can plant trees in the soil. Nobody ever goes there and you can put them in nice rows for the most part, although you do have to remove the old trees. I don't really care that I can't ride between them, since I fit so many more trees in that way.

I used it as a Tapper Forest to grow Pine, Maple and Oak (ESPECIALLY Oak) for the purpose of putting a tapper on every single one and making kegs and beehives and a few Looms for my sheepies, and just sitting there making money in general.

The fact is, having tappers on trees makes you money. Money for doing nothing at all.

However I do advise having one of each tree with a Tapper on it near my house, to remind me of when the sap has come through. Just like having a keg or a jar in your house to remind you when it's ready.

Last edited: