Ducks Should Swim more

shimm3r

Farmhand
I don't know if it is just me, but my ducks do not swim at all, I tried to put the coop near the water, there are 12 ducks in the coop, petted them every morning but 3 seasons past and I did not see the ducks swim once, I am using a four corners farm and honestly was excited to see ducks swimming. Not sure if it is just me but that's my observation. I even waited the entire day and put in a fence so they would swim in but they didn't. 😔

shimm3r

Farmhand
I would suggest to make the ducks more active in swimming after petting them, or make it more common, honestly one of the features I was looking forward to in 1.5.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
I promise I'm not making light of your disappointment because 'swimming ducks' was legit one of things I was most excited about in this update, but that picture nearly put me on the floor laughing. THAT DUCK IS JUST NOT HAVING IT AT ALL. JUST NOPING OUT RIGHT THERE IN THE DOORWAY. "No thank you." He doesn't care. He can do this all day.

tomaO2

Sodbuster
I would like it if ducks would jump into the fish pond. My layout doesn't really have a good spot to move my ducks near the water areas of the farm, so it would be nice if I could place a pond for them to swim in instead. Other than that I haven't had any issues with ducks swimming. Like, I've seen them walk all the way to the pond on occasion when I leave the doors open, and they jumped in just fine. Seems really odd that the duck wouldn't want to. Are you sure you are on 1.5? I don't think it's been expanded to all the consoles.

shimm3r

Farmhand
I promise I'm not making light of your disappointment because 'swimming ducks' was legit one of things I was most excited about in this update, but that picture nearly put me on the floor laughing. THAT DUCK IS JUST NOT HAVING IT AT ALL. JUST NOPING OUT RIGHT THERE IN THE DOORWAY. "No thank you." He doesn't care. He can do this all day.
That's fine lol, I got desperate because they just avoid going in the water for the entire season so I thought you won't swim then you have no choice! But they just went back in the coop 🤣

shimm3r

Farmhand
I would like it if ducks would jump into the fish pond. My layout doesn't really have a good spot to move my ducks near the water areas of the farm, so it would be nice if I could place a pond for them to swim in instead. Other than that I haven't had any issues with ducks swimming. Like, I've seen them walk all the way to the pond on occasion when I leave the doors open, and they jumped in just fine. Seems really odd that the duck wouldn't want to. Are you sure you are on 1.5? I don't think it's been expanded to all the consoles.
Yeah, I am so jealous with other people getting their ducks to swim voluntarily. I got the 1.5 almost done with Ginger Island not sure if this is only for four corners farm, but so far Beach farm makes ducks swim more

Norski

Farmhand
I think it swims not much so that you can interact it with more easily... every morning I go to my animals and interact with them (giving them a heart over head) so their stars stay at max/go up. If it swam more this would be annoying, having to wait for them come onto land. Maybe they could swim more, but when you come near them at a certain range, they come onto land just for you? As if they want to be pet.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
That's fine lol, I got desperate because they just avoid going in the water for the entire season so I thought you won't swim then you have no choice! But they just went back in the coop 🤣
That's why I was roaring with laughter because like. You gave it literally no other choice but 'get in that water right now' and it just like "lol k bye". Utterly legendary.

This is just a shot in the dark, but I'm wondering something looking at the layout of that coop. I placed my coop in such a way that the terrain stacks: there's a good 10-12 strides of green space outside their door where I plant their feeding grass, and the plot bottoms out into one of my lakes. I'm wondering if by placing the grass to the left the way you have it, they'll automatically wander to that and spend their time over there, and that fencing prevents them from 'seeing' the water at that angle. The only time they'd pass the water is on their way in and out of the coop, because the plot above it is so shallow.

I'm curious what would happen if you moved the coop up a ways, removed that western fencing, and planted more grass ABOVE the lake rather than to the side. That would help them spend more time by the water instead of that area off to the side.

Alfyna

Sodbuster
Okay, I can't stop laughing at these screenshots. This is like a children's picture book. "If You Give a Duck a Pond".

All right, all right, okay, let's brainstorm further. How happy are your ducks? Maybe they need to be a certain heart level in order to be inspired enough to do duck things. All my ducks are at maximum happiness and get up at the quack of dawn to swim. Maybe the duck behaviors are coded similarly to the truffle-hunting instinct in pigs, where the frequency/quality of the truffle hunting goes up the happier it gets.