Does anyone know a good way to get a prismatic shard without going into the skull cavern?

TheXug

Cowpoke
Over time, the quarry's loot gets better and better, so going there every so often wouldn't be a bad idea.

Helios

Greenhorn
i got one from killing the slimes in the secret forest. i go there every day for hardwood and while i get the wood, i kill all the slime. i don’t know if color has an impact on it, but i think my slimes were green.

Benhimself

Rancher
Honestly, this question is a bit like "What's the best way to get tomato seeds, other than Pierre's or Jojamart?" You CAN do it, but... the Skull Cavern is great for finding Prismatic Shards. Even if you've only got a humble Lava Katana, cook or find some food with a halfway decent buff, get a big ol' stack of gold-quality cheese or large eggs for healing, wait for a good luck day, and even a casual trip down is way more likely to see results than anything else you can do.

If you really dislike combat (and the Skull Cavern pre-Galaxy Sword IS a little rough), one alternative is to make five or six crystalariums, set them all to Jade, trade them all for a pile stairs on a lucky Sunday. Use, like, half your stairs to go deep ASAP, and keep the rest to avoid any fights that might give you trouble.

If you're patient, then sure, set up a few Rainbow Trout Fish Ponds, check the quarry every day, and kill random monsters in the mines hoping for a lucky drop. But I'll bet a full set of prismatic clothing that you'll get much faster results with cautious stair-aided forays into the Skull Cavern than any other route. Especially if you spec mining for extra geodes and bust open the omni-geodes you get.

SnailWeen

Cowpoke
The last couple levels of the mine should be a good place to start. Farm it through a couple times, you're bound to get something.

CH1CH4N88

Farmhand
I got mine when I was fishing. It was my 14th save tho. If you are lucky enough you will get one during your year 2 or 3.

MrTeapoT

Farmhand
Geode? MysticStone?

I just got mine from SLIME:slime: even in secret wood.

Don't focus at it and you'll get one soon or later. :thumbsup:

Anhaga

Rancher
I've gotten prismatic shards from the quarry (if you have the Geologist specialization they can drop in pairs from mystic nodes!) , from fishing chests, from wilderness golems, and from random monsters in the mine (the most recent was from a slime? maybe in the level 30s areas of the mine where I'd gone to get fiber from weeds). After you hit level 120 in the mines, the chance to get a Prismatic Shard from killing a random monster anywhere goes up significantly.