Dino egg/prismatic shard

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
both of those items are best found in the skull caverns, but you could get lucky with the dino egg by fishing. the prismatic shard also has a chance to appear when you kill any monster, though it's a very low chance, so skull cavern is still the best

Miretar

Planter
I have gotten Dino eggs both from fishing & digging artifact spots in the mountains.

once you get the egg be sure to hatch it. you will need void mayonnaise for a quest.

I would advise this strategy. Make multiple crystalizes. Fill them with jade. Once you have 50+ jade get yourself a health batch of bombs or mega bombs around 150. Pack some healing items garlic oil is great as it prevents servant swarms but spicy eels can be better as it raises your luck. The drop off all your stuff except your weapon, bombs, healing and jade. Go to the desert trader on a Sunday trade jade for staircases. Go-to the mine and stair case to 50+ and start bombing iridium nodes. You might choke across prehistoric jungle floors which have lootable eggs and pepper rex that can drop eggs. This is a good way to get both.

If anyone wants to bullet point that you can

LRangerR

Local Legend
I've got a rainbow trout pond (with max fishies of course) to try to get a random drop of a shard, but honestly it's a slow way to do it as the odds are really low. I guess you could always do a TON of these ponds to increase. I also often get my first prismatic from omni geodes, so I've got an octopus pond too.

As for the Dino egg, I usually get this one on a dino floor of the skull cavern. Just till around in there or kill enough pepper rexes til one drops, although as someone else said, you can definitely get them from artifact spots elsewhere. Oddly enough, I occasionally get one from fishing chests, if you want to go that route and just crank up all your treasure finding lures/baits.

I meant crystallarium s. You put a mineral in them and then they make copy's. The can copy any mineral except prismatics and cinder shards. You get two in game as gifts the rest require gold iridium and stone.

Also rubies can be farmed for spicy eels too so they are very useful.
Aquamarines can be farmed for cloth for those who want to have the latest fashions.

Worblehat

Planter
That heavily prepared deep-dive Skull Cavern strategy is often given as advice here, but bear in mind that it's Year 3 advice since it requires already having plenty of iridium with which to make the crystalariums (i.e. I have found that advice completely unhelpful, since my issue is getting iridium).

On the other hand, I have gotten two prismatic shards and 2-3 dino eggs in my occasional shallow Skull Cavern runs. Not sure if that's abnormally good luck, or about what one would expect.

Also note that you don't have to spend a prismatic shard to do the movie theater bundle. Make a sturgeon pond for the caviar, get your dino egg, and the wine, ancient fruit, and void salmon are easy enough.

Boo1972

Farmer
Monsters do drop prismatic shard very rarely. I believe shadow people and mummies are slightly more like to drop them. My last one came from a shadow brute in the mines. But, I’ve also received a prismatic shard from mutant bugs.

As for Dino eggs, you just never know. Artifact spots in the mountains do give dinosaur eggs occasionally. My experience has been that you’ll finally find one, incubate it, hatch your baby dino, and just as your dinosaur is ready to lay more eggs, you’ll find 4 in a week.

Johndeere756

Planter
I am just starting to get my feet wet, so to speak, in the Skull Caverns, but that definitely seems the best option for finding a Prismatic Shard. I know this has to be very lucky, but I just did a 25 level run and got 2. One apparently came from a monster drop that I didn't notice until I checked my inventory, the 2nd came from a omni geode. I have gotten 3 dino eggs and they have all came from treasure chests while fishing.