1.6 Update Dehydrator Appreciation Thread!

HaleyRocks

Farmer
I don't like using the dehydrator for the most valuable crops although it certainly is quicker money. But it's great for higher value fruits that aren't quite good enough to displace ancient fruit and starfruit in kegs. With the dehydrator, rhubarb has really come into its own. (Now I can stop being irritable about the game calling a leafy vegetable a fruit.) Maybe when I have ridiculous amounts of starfruit or ancient fruit, I'll be willing to sacrifice some profit for speed and put them in dehydrators. And now that we can also make mushroom preserves, you have to think about what's the best way to use them too.
Yes! Kudos to you for mentioning it! Inedible crops can be processed! Although they have to qualify as "fruit" or something (for the Dehydrator, not for Kegs/Barrels).

P.S. *Dehydrators Stardewnomics, for those who asked for specifics*:

In my farm, i have:

1) 119x spots in Greenhouse, all of them Ancient Fruit

2) 360x spots in Ginger Island Farm, all of them a one time harvest crop, in rotation (the regular specimen though, is Starfruit); soil is filled with Deluxe Speed Gro

3) 167x Garden Pots, inside a Big Shed, all of them containing Pineapples

4) 167x Garden Pots, inside another Big Shed, containing the rest 15 types of crops that can keep regrowing, 11x each one save for Grapes, of which i have 13x inside there (not all of them can be Dehydrated though and they are few in numbers, with the exception of Blueberries and Cranberries that drop many pieces each)

5) 5x huge wild tree orchards (2x mystic trees, 1x Mapple, 1x Oak, 1x Pine), each one featuring a formation of 28x trees with Heavy Tappers each (don't ask me how long i was farming for Radioactive ore and Mahogany logs, inside the "forest themed area" of the Dangerous Mines) and 25x mushroom logs (for each orchard)

My big shed containing the 137 Dehydrators, cannot even accomodate everything, it their harvest time coincides. Thankfully, there is a delay/cooldown, between each harvest. So, when i go full production of Dehydrated goods (with Artisan profession), the exact numbers (which vary slightly, depending on trivial leftovers, since you need exactly 5 pieces for a stack) of gold earned, are thus:

1) 23x Dried Ancient Fruit = 133,630 g

2) 71x Dried Starfruit = 561,610 g

3) 31x Dried Pineapples = 98,735 g

4) Negligible, didn't bother with steady procession, i got it just for gimmicks

5) a) 17x Dried Chanterelles = 29.155 g
b) 15x Dried Morels = 24,150 g
c) 31x Dried Purple Mushrooms = 82,460 g

This is big money and little work. Not the maximum possible profit out of each one crop piece independently though, but a godsend to the lazy person. Ancient Fruit and Pineapples are a one time event in 7 days. Mushrooms need 4 days and with rain, even less! Starfruits don't take long at all to grow, just a little more (i might even be tempted to craft 360x Hyper Speed Gro, since i have many radioactive ores leftover). At this point, i might even consider suspending procession of animal products completely and merely sell them raw, as is!

Add in the picture and my 132x Honey Bee houses at Ginger Island farm, with Fairy Rose, which yield 125,664 g per harvest each 4 days and my farms pay for themselves! To be honest, i thought about copying another player, who wanted to fill up a big shed, with 137x Statues of Endless Fortune! I have already gathered 34x of those and they keep adding up!

Last edited: